Cheap Transaxle

Dylan,how soon do you need these parts?It might be better to wait and see what you can find(sent you a PM). A.J.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all this info, I am not a foreign car guy at all.

This is not a right-away kind of thing, I was looking to get the project rolling this winter though. And Pete, thank you for pointing out that Ford and Chrysler disks would work.

Did any of you do a search of the forum? There is all of the information that you are looking for along with my comaprison article.

The non-turbo 944 transaxle is identicle to the AUDI 016 except thet the provision for a pilot bearing is not there and the provision for the clutch slave cylinder and fork is not there. You could use a hydraulic T/O bearing possibly and the idea about the hole in the shaft sounds like a possibility. You do not need to spend the $$$ on the 944 turbo disk. You just need to look at Ford and Chrysler discs with 1" 23 spline. They will work just fine. The early 944 has a 3.89 final drive. The turbo had a 3.375 final drive and the late non-turbo has a 3.875 final drive. Both the late 944 and turbo have a larger diameter ring gear and a larger front pinion bearing. The larger gear allowed for wider gear teeth and much increased strength. No AUDI 016 has this. The turbo-S transaxle is the strongest one because the gears and shafta are shot peened. The differential for the turbo is interchangable with the other 016 transaxles. However, you likely will not ever find a used one. They are much sought after. There is a guy that has found a late AUDI OEM Torsen that can be easily modified to fit into an 016. I should also say that the bellhousing mounting pattern is the same between the Porsche and AUDI.

The 6 spd (01E) is a good transaxle as far as I have been told. It has many of the updates from the 944 turbo transaxle including the larger ring gear and front pinion bearing. Although the ratios many say do not fit with a v8 very well. The AUDI version has some updates that the Porsche ones do not have. The biggest is first gear. The later AUDI 01E's have a wider 1st gear because of some failures (stripped teeth) on turbo cars.

The 944 non turbo 016, early or late, has a mostly useless first gear. (13.97 early and 13.95 late overall ratio)

This is all that comes to mind right now.

Pete, thanks, good information. It would be really interesting to know what torsen diff from a newer audi will easily retrofit into an 016. That's exactly what the 016 needs! Do you have any of the details?

gtpvette,

I live in Mid-GA, what part of FL are u in and what kind of a deal are you talking?

Joz

I've got a Audi 016-AFC,,, don't want to ship it though. If you are in South Florida I could cut you a deal.

Thanks[/quote]

GTPVette

Supporter
JOZ,,,
I'm in Ft. Lauderdale so it would be a long drive unless your comming this way for other reasons. Still interested?

Thanks

Fred

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
You do not need to spend the $$$ on the 944 turbo disk. You just need to look at Ford and Chrysler discs with 1" 23 spline. They will work just fine.

Excellent information and thank you for the tip! So after a google searcj, I found the late '60s and early '70 Chrysler V8 discs, and the '90s Ford/Mazda 4.0L V6 truck discs look to fit this project very well. If this works out, then I'm going straight to the 968 transmission being it has the much improved shifting.

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Today I slipped the Ford Explorer 4.0L clutch disc (pretty wimpy friction area but I'm sure an improved aftermarket version is available) onto a 944 imput shaft, and it was a perfect fit (no play, and a slight push slid in onto the shaft). This is a 10 inch disc, so it matches perfectly with the pressure plate I currently use. So that takes care the clutch issue. Now on to the adapter plate.

I have more info on the AUDI Torsen. I have a link on my P/C at home. I'll try to look tonight and post it. There are pictures in it.

What the guy did is just turn down the diameter for the side bearings so the 016 bearings fit. The other thing is that the drive hube are different. But there is a solution for that too.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Did any of you do a search of the forum? There is all of the information that you are looking for along with my comaprison article.

I can't get the search to find it, can you link to it?

So the general consensus in the US is either an 016 Audi or a UN1-13 Renault, with the Renault being a little bit stronger?

I'm designing a chassis and want the strongest transaxle with limited slip diff under $2000. 300hp or less.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
That's why I'm screwing around with the "oddball" transaxle. The turbo versions are built pretty tough, and have the oil pump built into the RG housing.

Here is the comparison article: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/how-engi...les-audi-016-083-transaxles-pete-tinucci.html

If you've a 2k budget, go for an Audi 01e or even an 01x, 016 costs only 500 if you can get them. 01e, 01x are stronger than the 016, have the same boltpattern and almost all are 6-speed (after '97).

If you've trouble sourcing one, let me know, I live in europe and get them pretty easy. I've an 016 AAX in my garage that can go also.

Greetz,

Bram Boekestein
Holland

Back