Cheshire SGT build

Hi everybody I'm Ed and I'm based up in Cheshire and this will be my first build of any kit car so thought I would start with something easy . On that note any advice and observations during my build would be appreciated

I have been a bit slow to post but picked my chassis and panels up from southern GT about a month ago and since then have been none stop with work but I have finally got my garage wired up with power and air compressor ect so ready to start my build!!

I have a bit of a question for some of the people who have done black panels I was thinking of spraying them instead of powder coating i have tested out spraying nitro on a spare piece of metal I have and love the Finnish but wondering if it will be a strong enough to take the punishment especially in the wheel well areas and floorpan.

Attachments

• IMG_20190910_165358.jpg
    IMG_20190910_165358.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 631

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Glad you got a build log going!
Where items will be hit by dirt and road debris, I prefer to use an enamel paint over good primer, or one of the newer “bed liner” coatings. Each is far more resilient than powder coating... PC is just too hard and if the strike is hard enough to put a dent in the metal, the PC will pop off at the point of impact. It’s a long downhill slide from there...

Shaun

Supporter
Nice one Ed, as you say start with a simple one and move up to the next level of project, maybe building a space shuttle :)
Its great fun, frustrating at times but the info here is priceless as is Micks advice when head scratching just does not work!!
I must update my build log, thing is sometimes not much changes visibly but a fair bit of work goes in, like the wiring, got all that sorted but not much of a visual update.
Two top tips for now are an air rivet gun and a rivet spacer, the latter is worth a hundred times what they cost.
Also maybe a set of the stands Mick supplies, they are great for moving the chassis around right up to the stage when its ready to sit on the tarmac, I got mine from Paul Bav after he finished with them, will pass them on at the end of my build....Unless I start another....Well the second one is ALWAYS easier !!

Brian Magee

Supporter
The aliminium panels on my car were chromate coated before being satin powder coated. That was 20 years and 35000 miles ago. Even the areas ahead of the rear wheels where they get blasted by road grit just need a quick spray of WD40 and a wipe over to make them look like new.
I would not think of using anything else.

Brian.

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

Congratulations and where are you in Cheshire, you may already know there are a few SGT's around in Cheshire and Lancashire.

Nick

Nice one Ed, as you say start with a simple one and move up to the next level of project, maybe building a space shuttle :)
Its great fun, frustrating at times but the info here is priceless as is Micks advice when head scratching just does not work!!
I must update my build log, thing is sometimes not much changes visibly but a fair bit of work goes in, like the wiring, got all that sorted but not much of a visual update.
Two top tips for now are an air rivet gun and a rivet spacer, the latter is worth a hundred times what they cost.
Also maybe a set of the stands Mick supplies, they are great for moving the chassis around right up to the stage when its ready to sit on the tarmac, I got mine from Paul Bav after he finished with them, will pass them on at the end of my build....Unless I start another....Well the second one is ALWAYS easier !!

I have been following your build really good work looks fantastic and yeh I have invested in a rivet spacer and air riviter after counting up the rivets thought it would be a good idea haha got the build stands off Mick when I picked the chassis up though yet to get some wheels for them could see it making the build a lot easier though thanks for the advice :)

Hi Ed
Great choice with the Southern GT. I’m in the cheaper seats with a gtforte.
I used Matt black vinyl wrap on the inner panels. Time will tell if I’m crazy or not!
My thinking is I can always rip it off and go back to bare aluminium.

View attachment 101700
That looks great somebody said about paint and then putting the pain protection film on to protect it didn't think about vinyl but sure it should hold up well and yeh the option is always there to remove it at a later date

Hi Ed,

Congratulations and where are you in Cheshire, you may already know there are a few SGT's around in Cheshire and Lancashire.

Nick

Hi nick to be honest I have been to a few shows but haven't really met everybody yet will be good to meet a few people locally when I get the chance :) I live in Northwich

The aliminium panels on my car were chromate coated before being satin powder coated. That was 20 years and 35000 miles ago. Even the areas ahead of the front wheels where they get blasted by road grit just need a quick spray of WD40 and a wipe over to make them look like new.
I would not think of using anything else.

Brian.

Hi Brian I will look into it not familiar with chromate but will do a bit or research thanks for the tip

Glad you got a build log going!
Where items will be hit by dirt and road debris, I prefer to use an enamel paint over good primer, or one of the newer “bed liner” coatings. Each is far more resilient than powder coating... PC is just too hard and if the strike is hard enough to put a dent in the metal, the PC will pop off at the point of impact. It’s a long downhill slide from there...

Hi thanks for the advice I will have a look at the "bed liner" paints sounds like it would be good for the job

Shaun

Supporter
The one other thing I would also suggest is dry fit then get them coated, I found my panels needed "fettling", some quite a lot, also I was warned not to rivet too much on till later as you tend to cover up all the areas to later need to get to (brakes especially as not easy to bend like the loom).
You need a lot of Cleco's!!!

The one other thing I would also suggest is dry fit then get them coated, I found my panels needed "fettling", some quite a lot, also I was warned not to rivet too much on till later as you tend to cover up all the areas to later need to get to (brakes especially as not easy to bend like the loom).
You need a lot of Cleco's!!!
Thanks for the advice I am planning on fitting everything up and getting it right before painting as fo clecos I haven't ordered any yet but will get some ordered do you know a good place to buy them from ?
Thank you

As Shaun says Clecos are your friend, 50 is about the right number.

Also invest in a small band saw.

Welcome along and have fun...
Hi yeh need to get some ordered any good sources ? And I have been making guitars for a few years so luckily I already have a good handsaw so should help though think I trust myself a bit more with a file :D haha

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, I used closed 4mm rivets, wish I’d used smaller 3.2mm rivets with closer spacing for more period look than what I ended up with on my SGTs.
I’ve left out fitting a few panels in the front by pedalbox. Should’ve waited with many more panels as they are in the way trying to route the loom, tubing etc.
Morten

Hi yeh need to get some ordered any good sources ? And I have been making guitars for a few years so luckily I already have a good handsaw so should help though think I trust myself a bit more with a file :D haha

Ordered my Clecos from LAS I think, they were pretty cheap at the time, but it was bloody years ago now...

Back