Choosing 289 combo for RCR40?

I'm still a ways from getting a 40 from Fran, but for now with tax return time, I'm thinking of starting an engine build.(on a budget)
I'd like to use a 289 60's block for emisions, around 350hp, weber 48 stack set-up.

Now the questions
Can you stroke the 289 to a 331?
What middle of the road inners would you choose? pistons,crank,etc
What cam works well with the weber intake/carb set-up?
Or just order a shortblock from one of the vendors and match the cam/intake/heads side to suit?
There is almost too much info out there, and like my cobra I'd just want something that pulls great through all the gears with a top speed over 140mph..
By the way whats the price on an RBT tranny for this set up/
and lastly the car would be a nice day cruiser with the odd track day at Mosport,
Cheers Ray

Ray - you might be searching quite a while for a 60's vintage 289 block unless some of the members here can help. If you're going to go out to 331 c.i., start with a 302. Another consideration is whether you want to run a hydraulic roller cam or a flat tappet/non-roller hyd. It makes a difference in what you should look for.

Ray

I have a high rpm 331 ( can rev it up to 7800). Have driven it now for about 70 miles. pulls like a freight train as of 4000 RPM ( have still left it good at 6000 RPM). This is a concept i choose because i like the high revving sound of a V8.
Next time i would choose another concept. 351 stroked and bored to 408. Lots of torque and power, but less revs and stress . could run a hydraulic roller and a cam profile very suitable to webers, probably would need to go to 48´s. Check Keith Craft, he has some nice packages on this configuration.

TOM

Thanks for the replies guys
I will go and rethink this, because I do want a roller cam, and check with the RCR afiliate in Canada(ontario) on our emission laws for what block I can use.
Cheers Ray

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ray,

I do not know how much luck you will have in finding a 289, but I very much like your thinking!

I wanted a GT40, nothing more. In the end, I ended up with a 302, Holley, ZF, and could not be happier!

More power than anyone could need, smaller, quieter, lighter, cooler.

Last edited:

Darnel A.

Supporter
I have a 289 assembled Short Block I am be willing to part with. Eagle Crank, Scat Rods, KB Pistons. I will PM you.

Darnel

My idea for an engine was much like yours. For my BEC GT40, I built a 1965 SBF 289 (stronger-higher nickel content block) stroked to 302 (i.e. for 5 litre FIA limit) with a flat tappet split-duration cam, roller rockers and webers. Puts out ~400 hp&torque. It has been a good choice for me.
Larry

Attachments

• GT40 075.jpg
    GT40 075.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 262
  • GT40 029.jpg
    GT40 029.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 265
Back