Chuck and Ryan's Carbon Cub Build Blog

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It looks like I’m just under 250 miles from there... Not out of the question though!
I have another friend that is just finishing up his RV8 and it’s hangered in the Austin area, so it’s possible to catch both!
We just got here (Midlothian Texas) less that 2 weeks ago. Moving ourselves was quite a challenge.. We’ll be unpacking boxes for months I’m afraid.. And with no shop, well, I crammed a lot into the garage.

Ron Earp

Admin
I am keeping a build log, but not with EAA.
Rans makes a nice kit. Regarding a Cub, the Javron is an excellent option. True to the original. Check out Bill Rusk build blog over at Supercub.org. I would say do it, don't wait. Obviously I really enjoy the build process - and building an airplane does not typically require designing and re engineering stuff.
I have 195 hours in the two wings - ironically took me longer this time than last.

I LOVE the CCs but they are out of my price range. Nice kits though, really like their attention to detail and construction. I'll check out the Javron. I like your advice and I do plan on just getting on with it. Cause time is a wasting.

So 195 hrs in the wings isn't bad at all I don't think. That's a big chunk done but of course covering remains too. Are you doing these IFR capable? I've been debating that and tending toward no, don't think I'd ever use it as an IFR platform but of course that could come in handy on occasion.....but then currency and all that so........

I'll continue to follow along over on the Cub site.

Chuck

Supporter
Ron:

I have a Garmin G3X which would need an additional component to make it IFR legal, although as a practical the G3X has all the info needed to fly through a cloud. But realistically I can't imagine flying a 100 mph plane IFR.

Looking at some minor upgrades in case we decide to go with tundra tires for off field stuff, including larger brakes and stainless steel brake lines.

Totally different sort of plane, but the Sling TSi really interests me. State of the art engine, four place, good looking, fast cruise, low fuel consumption. Check it out. Flew the two seat Sling in December. Sweet handling, comfortable.

You headed to EAA Air Venture in July?

Chuck

Ron Earp

Admin
The G3X was sort of what I was thinking to use. That, plus a iPad dock for Foreflight, that would give some redundancy and capability to the system.

The IFR question is a big one. I don't want to do VFR over the top as it can get dicey but clouds happen. So, having IFR capability might be nice to get in or out of somewhere. But like you, I'd not use a plane like this for any sort of real IFR work. On the other hand, these planes are up for some scud running.....

That Sling looks pretty snazzy. Fast mover too.

I'm not going to go to Air Venture. I should, but too much going on with the family unit to take the time. And if I went I'd want to fly there of course but all the club planes are completely booked for that week, as expected. I might could ride up with someone but can't do a week. Would love to though!

Ron

Chuck

Supporter
Progress Update.

This is a brief Carbon Cub status report. The fuselage is substantially complete, nearing the time for fabric.

The brakes have been upgraded with stainless steel rather than plastic lines and Grove fluid reservoirs.

IMG_1539.jpg

The trim motor required some extra work. The motor and jack screw are rigidly connected, so alignment is critical. When initially assembled the motor groaned but worked. I suspect most builders would let it go since it was fully functional, but we opted to take it apart and see if it could be improved. After a bit of adjustment of the hole on the mounting plate and adding shims to assure the motor shaft and jack screw were aligned, it operates more smoothly.

IMG_1665.jpg

A second switch for the auto pilot kill function was added to the control stick. This was a bit like performing surgery working inside a long tube without disturbing the existing wiring, but it eventually came together.

IMG_1624.jpg

The fuel system has numerous connections and checking for leaks is critical, since many of the connections will not be accessible once it is covered. The balloon test is our preference. Once the balloon held air for a week we were satisfied the connections were good.

65058549422__F686766B-203C-4650-9432-5D7CA6257A05.jpg

I am designing and fabricating a rear seat that will match the front and replace the sling seat that comes with the plane. It is offered as a $6000 option, but for that sum I figure it best to do it myself. It has been a great opportunity to learn more about the mill. It will be the subject of a detailed post when finished. So far I have about forty hours into that project. It is really holding up progress on the rest of the plane!

More details can be found at the Cubcrafters Forum.

https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthread.php/1791-Chuck-and-Ryan-s-Build-Tips/page21

Chuck

Supporter
Eight months since the last post on this forum, and so much progress to report. More details can be found on the Cubcrafters forum site. https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showt...yan-s-Build-Tips?p=27698&viewfull=1#post27698

Presently the fuselage and one wing are covered and ready for paint with one wing and the tail feathers remaining. Paint will start once the weather breaks, likely in late February. That delay may prompt some work on the Jaguar for a month or so.

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

The Cub is equipped with a Kannad ELT (emergency locator transmitter). We euphemistically refer to it as the device that permits one’s remains to be located promptly in the event of a crash. It transmits two frequencies: 121.5 and 406 MHz, the later of which is to a satellite. On the Carbon Cub it is located under the pilot’s seat in a area that is surrounded by carbon fiber, which does not pass radio waves very well and thus impairs the internal GPS receiver. This led to a lively discussion and some interesting R and D to resolve issues with both the location of the unit and a separate issue with the tuning of the ELT antenna, covered in detail at the link above. Fascinating discussion if anyone is interested.

IMG_2052.jpg

The boot cowl is the aluminum structure that covers the front end just aft of the fire wall. The fire wall is stainless steel. It is constructed with counter sunk rivets and precision with the assembly is critical. The back side of the fire wall is covered with a think piece of insulation. Based on experience with that insulation coming loose on the last plane, Click Bond screws were added to afford a good mechanical connection. Those that have read the GT40 build blog may recall that Click Bond screws were used to create attachment points for the insulation under the rear clip.

IMG_1883.jpg

Design and construction of the rear seat support has been a major time-consuming project, but using the mill to cut and drill holes in precise location proved invaluable. It is essentially finished and ready for installation once painted. This project literally saved us thousands of dollars over the cost of the factory option.

IMG_1772.jpg

Typically, the panel is wired after the fabric is in place and painted. This time we instead preliminarily wired it before to confirm everything was functioning properly while there was good access to the wiring. A third steam gauge was added so we now have rate of climb, air speed, and altitude, all of which are redundant with the G3X glass panel. I still like analog gauges.

IMG_2152.jpg

So many projects, so little time.

Chuck

Supporter
The Carbon Cub has been nearing completion. Ryan came and helped with the weights and balances measurements and the fuel flow, critical to final completion and inspection by the FAA. He then started up the engine and taxied a bit. Hope to have it officially signed off and fully completed in a couple of weeks.

IMG_2129.JPG

Ron Earp

Admin
Awesome! I have followed the project over on CC forum and really like what you guys are doing. Very nice! I'm building away too, just getting ready to start on the wings of the S-21. Maybe I'll do a build log over here, only a few months late and can catch up. Think I'll do it!

Chuck

Supporter
I am declaring N373ES finished and ready to fly, pending the FAA inspection and issuance of the Airworthiness Certificate.

More information can be seen at the build blog on the Cubcrafters forum. https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showt...yan-s-Build-Tips?p=29166&viewfull=1#post29166

The Jaguar D Type is in the shop and my goal is to get the engine running and chassis operational before starting on the next Carbon Cub.

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
This is just off the charts fabulous, Chuck! You guys have raised the bar substantially!

Chuck

Supporter
My sanity is sometimes questioned, and not without cause.

Before N373ES first flew, a third Carbon Cub had already started coming together next to the Jaguar D Type. This one will be flying far away when completed.

IMG_3022.JPG

Chuck

Supporter
Carbon? From this picture it looks like aluminum; am I missing something?

Large shaped surfaces are carbon fiber, including the engine plenum, engine cowl, interior floor and side panels, seat frames and a lot of other parts. The redesign of the original Super Cub essentially reduced the gross weight by about 200 pounds which is substantial, reducing the gross weight to about 1000 pounds. The fuselage remains a welded chromolly frame and the wings remain primarily aluminum, as you have so adroitly observed.

Neil

Supporter
Large shaped surfaces are carbon fiber, including the engine plenum, engine cowl, interior floor and side panels, seat frames and a lot of other parts. The redesign of the original Super Cub essentially reduced the gross weight by about 200 pounds which is substantial, reducing the gross weight to about 1000 pounds. The fuselage remains a welded chromolly frame and the wings remain primarily aluminum, as you have so adroitly observed.
Being adroit is what I live for. :p

Back