Chuck and Ryan's RCR Build

An excellent job!! I hate the wiring portion of the build. My wire bundles don't look half as nice as yours. Very professional looking.

CHEERS
BILL D

Chuck

Supporter
First Drive
Link to video clip:

YouTube - The First Drive

Sunday, February 3, 2008, while 95 million Americans were preparing to watch the Super Bowl, Ryan and I were putting the finishing touches on the chassis. The last parts keeping us from driving the car were the half shafts, and when they arrived last Thursday, Ryan was rather insistent that we drive the car this weekend. He is a real slave driver.

It all came together Sunday afternoon after two long days of work. It was about 45 degrees. No excuse not to give it a try. We rolled it out and fired it up.

The engine started right up and quickly settled into a nice idle around 1000 RPM. There was bit of popping that will need to be addressed. It always amazes me how those Webers can idle so well so quickly without a choke. Engaged the clutch for the very first time under power and slid it into reverse. Engaged the clutch and shifted into first. We drove out of our driveway, and just kept going to the end of the subdivision, about a half mile. Managed to get up to third gear, turning over only 1500 RPMs or so, but the engine did not mind. Got back to our drive way. This time it was Ryan’s turn. Of course the pedals had to be moved forward two notches so he could fit, but fit he did, so we repeated the circuit.

Our first outing lasted all of two miles. We sampled the first three gears and the shifter adjustment seems to be just about right. The clutch is light compared to our 427 Cobra. It takes up smoothly. The brakes engaged smoothly as well. The engine seems to be running nicely although the Weber’s will need some adjustment to get rid of the occasional popping and back firing.

All in all, it was a good day.

Attachments

• FirstDrive1.jpg
    FirstDrive1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,972
  • FirstDrive5.JPG
    FirstDrive5.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 1,919
  • FirstDrive2.JPG
    FirstDrive2.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 2,356

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Gents,

The way that chassis looks it'd almost be a shame to put a body on it. Although seeing what you did with the chassis, I can't wait to see the bodywork!

Congrats!

Have you tried fitting the rear clip yet? I think you will have problems with the mufflers hitting the clip. I had to cut a pie section from my collectors to lower them.

Beautiful work guys.......also thanks for showing in such detail ,your build so far.

I know I get many positive comments aimed at your attention to detail....

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Simply fabulous guys!!!! Ryan's showing off his log-rolling skills too! :)

Chuck

Supporter
Thanks guys. We are having fun.

Jon: Have not tried the clip since we put the exhaust system on. The body work comes next.

Richard: I like the idea of a clear body. That would solve the issue of what color paint!

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Chuck and Ryan,
Gents...you guys are building an absolutely first rate car. Every step has exemplary quality and attention to detail. Truly a benchmark for the rest of us to follow.

Keep up the excellent work and build log updates. I look forward to seeing them.

Best Regards,
Rob

I was just about hangin' in there waiting for my RCR (due in about 4 weeks) and you guys go and post NAKED chassis pics. Still they put me back on the morphine so maybe I'll pull through.

Wonderfull stuff (your build that is!), many congratulations

Best

John

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Chuck/Ryan,

Been following you build...Much thought and execution has gone into construction...Your wiring split ckt is a great idea.

Steve

Chuck

Supporter
Fuel Vents

The RCR has a threaded opening adjacent to the fuel filler for a vent. A 5/16” x 1/8” fitting fits perfectly.

A roll over vent valve was obtained from Street Rods by Michael, Inc. www.srbymichael.com. A 5/16” section of fuel line completes the package.

Attachments

• FuelVent1.JPG
    FuelVent1.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 1,224
  • FuelVent3.JPG
    FuelVent3.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 1,263
  • FuelVent4.JPG
    FuelVent4.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,222

Chuck

Supporter
Exhaust system

The manifold was secured with Stage 8 locking fasteners. They can’t come loose.

Attachments

• ManifoldBolts.JPG
    ManifoldBolts.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,035
Those pictures of your chassis are absolutely awesome. The craftsmanship of both the builders and the supplier are apparent. If you stopped right there it would be a success! Congrats!

Back