Classiccars Magazine March 2003

Hi all

March edition of Classiccars has not to be missed three separate articles on GT40s.
Front cover is the Mk111 car owned by Ford on a road test in Scotland, article on page 66,67,68and 69 then on page 62,63,64, and 65 "Ford GT40 at Le Mans".
As if that was not enough there is another article on page 28,29 on A Real GT 40 that is still a kit of parts. Apparently in 1972 P1112 was sold as a Kit of parts, it has taken 30 years to assemble it and except for the engine and transmission still to be fitted along with the wiring loom and interior it is complete.
The car is to be auctioned off at Christies in London on March 24 and is as new with an estimate price of £170,000 to £200,000
The photo of the kit of parts is worth the cost of the magazine alone.

So is this original Kit of parts, one owner, with Zero miles on the clock, Chassis No P1112 worth this kind of money?
Regards
Chris.
confused.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Not really Chris, but if a replica can be sold for $118,000 in Phoenix who knows?
How about a syndicate to bid for it?
Wouldn't it would be nice to assemble it though !
wink.gif

Dave

It is a crazy world out there. Remember a few years ago when Holman Moody built his MK II car? He was asking US$700,000.00 for it and that's not even a real one!
If I'm not mistaken, he only built one,

Victor

Not to stray too far on this thread,
but you have to wonder how long Holman
will hang on to his "dream" of getting
that kind of money.

Norwood did an oustanding P4 repro that
sold for $ 350,000 each. Not sure how many
he sold...more than Holman!

MikeD

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Chris:
Is there any way to get this magazine in the USA, I have not seen it in stores around here? I would love to see the GT40 articles.
Thanks! for the posting.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jim rosenthal:
Chris:
Is there any way to get this magazine in the USA, I have not seen it in stores around here? I would love to see the GT40 articles.
Thanks! for the posting.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Barnes & Noble sells the magazine.

Your pal,
Meat.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi all

Chris forgot to mention that his car is pictured on the GT40EC stand in the 2003 events guide that comes with the magazine.

Shows how modest and shy he is!

Folks-Is the title of the magazine
"Classiccars"? I could not find it at Barnes and Noble.

amazzzing, People say your car is only worth what you can get...... CAV 40 space frame chassis,302 w/webers, black on black $118,00.00, not to shabby..

"Only worth what you can get" indeed. And a you-know-what is born every day. Apparently, (per the grapevine) the buyer at $118,000 LATER learned that he could have ordered a new CAV with zero miles and saved about $40-50K. He wasn't too delighted. He may check the web before his next auction attendance. But there may be more guys like him with the same lesson to learn--whether they'll have as much $$$ remains to be seen. In the meantime, I wouldn't be too confident of this price as a "comp".

Spitfire--I think the title you are looking for is "Thoroughbred & Classic Cars". It is one of several excellent English car magazines. I'm pretty sure it's T & CC you're looking for--I've been checking my newwstands but they don't have that particular issue displayed yet. It can usually be found at Barnes & Noble or Borders, if you've got those locally and IF the particular store you patronize has a decent car magazine section--

Brian Magee

Supporter
Spitfire/Snakeyes

The magazine is called 'Classic Cars', March 2003 edition and it is ISSN No.0143-7267. Your newsagent should be able to locate it from this number.

Brian.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
OK, it is Thoroughbred and Classic Cars, March 2003. All the articles mentioned by Chris are in the US version, throughly enjoyable read. The UK car mags are often better than what we have over here, better writing and a lot more fun. Thanks! to you Chris.
grin.gif

I've been checking my local bookstores for a couple of weeks. I went in today and they still had the February issue on the shelves...started walking out disappointed when I noticed the March issue on a cart, waiting to be put out for sale. Man, they must still deliver things by Pony Express down here!

I haven't had much chance to peruse the mag but I did glance at the "GT40 at Le Mans" article and noticed a statement to the effect that "GT40s were known to burst into flames" or something along those lines. I have seen one or two pictures of cars on fire after racing accidents, but was unaware it was an epidemic. Comments from anyone?

Hi all

I have just found another new magazine with six pages of GT40 coverage called
"Classic Ford" the February edition, pages 42,43,44,45,46 and 47.
Six great pages covering the Le Mans campaign.
ISSN 0958-0522
Web site www.classicfordmag.co.uk
A@S Publishing Co Ltd 2003
Distribution Seymour
Tel 0044 (0)207396 8000
wink.gif
wink.gif

Regards
Chris

Back