Color scheme opinions

J,

I gotta laugh here! :laugh:
You asked a world full of guys for an opinion!
What you're finding out is everyone has one! That is too funny! LOL

Yer fellow Virginian,
Howard

Ps. personally I like the Wimbledon White with Guardsman Blue stripes of 65 Shelby GT350, in the photo someone else posted. But I don't have an opinion! :laugh:

Right now, I am leaning toward this blue. I love this car...

Attachments

• GT40blue.jpg
    GT40blue.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 491
J,
If you are serious that blue needs a little something extra, (stripes... a little more color, I don't know...something, it needs something else to go with the blue). Your call...

Howard

I agree...it doesn't get there for me either. Although that blue might be period correct (I don't know), it leaves me flat. I am really liking Bill Ds blue-orange scheme right now. I can't wait to see that finished off.

I think the dark colors make the car look more sinister.

I was still looking through colour chips on the last day. This is a BMW purlblue with Wimbledon white stripes the final choice

Steve

Attachments

• painted10.jpg
    painted10.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 343
  • Painted 11.jpg
    Painted 11.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 325
  • Painted 12.jpg
    Painted 12.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 325
J, If you like the Gulf color scheme,Why not try the later version Dark Blue w/orange stripe.And maybe add those horse shoes on the right rear quarter for luck. Joe

After $80 in sample paints, countless hours with photoshop, and dozens of hand painted drawings, I ended up back at the good old Gulf. I will be using the modern GT colors with a black line. Gee, that was the original plan... but at least I can say I put some thought in it.

Yellow always photographs best. More or less a known fact.

Yamaha have had the yellow combo colours down for years Yellow, Black and a bit of white.

stacker_logo.jpg

589987.JPG

I'm not knowledgeable on such things but wasn't there a Yamaha GT40 connection at some point?

After $80 in sample paints, countless hours with photoshop, and dozens of hand painted drawings, I ended up back at the good old Gulf. I will be using the modern GT colors with a black line. Gee, that was the original plan... but at least I can say I put some thought in it.

Sure the Gulf Lemans winner had the most copied colour scheme but there were two other Gulf schemes with the Wiltshire Light Blue and Marigold. The one that no one I know has done is where the Orange stripe is wide at the windscreen and goes down to a point at the front edge. This was P1076 at the 1968 Le Mans Number 11.
Of course the Alan Mann lightweights also had an attractive colour scheme of Red, White and Gold.
My own preference would be White with a Blue centre stripe and a matt blue bonnet.
The Yamaha connection is that P1077 was purchase by them in Yellow in 1968. I thought it was over in this country a couple of years ago and appear at Goodwood at the Festival of Speed. I am sure there was an article on the car in one of the major car magazines ( Classic and Sports Car?)
Regards Allan

Last edited:
Jason do you have any more pictures you could post. The colour combination you have posted are very close to one's I was considering.
Regards Martin

Hi Martin. The coulour is Alveston red micatallic. Gives a lovely sparkle when the sun shines on it!

Attachments

• gt40 06.jpg
    gt40 06.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 331
  • gt40 07.jpg
    gt40 07.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 322
  • gt40 011.jpg
    gt40 011.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 297

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice!! I love the way it lights up in the sunshine!

Jason,your wheel-tyre combination looks really good.i was going to fit 17"wheels on my tornado but your 15"wheels fill your arches good.i presume you have a tornado,what width wheels and tyre sizes are you using.i presume they are image and what offset are they.regards Kevin

Hi guys,

It is very interesting, to read all the messages. I agree with Howard, that everyone of us has his own opinion. I guess, if you are building the car for your own, and don't have the intention to sell it later, you can go the way of some exotic colours.
If you ever are in the situation that you have to sell the car, the "wrong" mean exotic colour could be a reason for a much lower price. But this is only one side of the medal. So J please go on and listen to your heart/inner voice !

PS: Guys, does anybody of you know something about the original colour code of the "Scuderia Filipinetti" red (car Nr. 1039 and 1040) driven at Le Mans in 1966 ? I would like to paint my car in this colour ?

Kind regards from Switzerland Marcel.

Back