Columbus Ohio RCR40

Hello Everyone!

I can't believe it, the build is finally going to happen! This week my dad and I placed an order with Fran for a RCR40 mkI.

Some light background:

This will be a father/son project!
We have built two other cars together... the first one was a 1972 Dodge Dart. The joke was that my dad was afraid I would rot away playing Call of Duty if he didn't push me to find another interest. The deal was that he would help me fix up a cool old car and I could drive it to high school when I turned 16, I just had to give up video games LOL. We bought the heap of rusty metal for $900 near the Ohio river when I was about 14... 2 years later we had replaced the 225 slant six auto with a 318 v8 auto and replaced every body panel and painted it bright red ourselves. Dual black hood scoops. During that project we learned so much, and had a blast doing it. Prior to this my dad only had some wood working tools. We had to teach ourselves everything. No doubt about it we caught the bug.

Shortly after completing the Dart we decided we had so much fun we wanted to try something else, and a local add for a 73 Challenger popped up. Like all old mopars in the rust belt it was in sorry shape but a fun looking project nonetheless. That build took around 10 years. It taught us even more than the dart.
Getting into cars and building them pushed me to try out Mechanical Engineering... I loved it. Obviously college slowed things down in the middle of the build. Once that car was complete it wasn't getting driven like it should. It was a funny realization... we spent 10 years excited to drive the finished car and cherish a shiny Mopar... (way nicer than the Dart is tbh) but it wasn't as much fun as building the thing! This realization started the ball rolling on selling it and starting something new. Another motivator was I moved across town for work after graduating so a new project would be a great excuse to hangout together more! For years a GT40 kit car was on my radar, and finally we sold the Challenger and recently ordered a kit. On to a new chapter... and time to learn how to be pros with fiberglass!

Hours and hours of research have already been completed... and oh my gosh so many questions and open ends still remain. Lots of exciting and fun challenges to be met putting something like this together.
A rough estimate from RCR has the kit being ready around October of this year. Plenty of time to finish initial plans.

The build plan:

The concept of this build is focusing on the joy of driving and not so much attempting to maintain originality. We want a car that is a blast to drive. Something that we aren't afraid to drive hard. We plan on taking the car to open track days across the Midwest, while also showing up to local car shows and autocross events. It would also be a blast to drive to work.

Minor Order Details:
MkI RCR GT40 Kit
Single scoop front end
17" BRM wheels
2" flares
LHD
6-point cage

Drivetrain Plan:
Already acquired. 5.3 LS. LM7 iron block with aluminum 706 cathedral port heads. Out of a 02 Silverado with 120,000 miles.
Already installed a Brain Tooley Racing road racing cam, ultimate RPM valve springs, sealed roller bearing trunnion upgrade, and chromoly pushrods.
This valvetrain should support up to 7500 rpm without floating a valve/hurting itself.
Hoping to squeeze a dry/wet sump oil system into the budget. At a bare minimum will install an accusump.
Still investigating electric water pump options.
Planning on a Holley EFI setup to run the engine and probably many other parts of the car.
I have a good friend that works at a performance shop that looked over my shoulder while I hand ported the heads.
I think asking for 450-480hp from this old LS is reasonable after the aforementioned upgrades.
Porsche G96/01 with a wavetrac LSD.

yes yes yes I know. A CHEVY ENGINE?!? GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE! Don't get me wrong, the ford V8s I see going in most of these cars are incredible!
However we couldn't say no to the following perks:
Very inexpensive
Small (compared to a coyote)
Huge aftermarket parts support
proven durability even straight out of the junkyard over 100,000 miles of service.

These characteristics make a good case I think for a autocross/track day build that we don't have to worry about too much. Worst case this engine spins a bearing or starts to knock. I can hop online and there will be several similar engines for sale for a few hundred bucks down the road, not to mention every Columbus junkyard has a constant supply of vehicles with LS engines.
One of the tricks with these engines is to NEVER crack open the bottom end. The joke there is that if you do you'll let the magic out!! So we are going to try and get away with not even touching the mains or connecting rods/pistons to begin with.
I considered a 6.0 instead of the 5.3... but I opted for the engine that can spin faster on the big end.
Maybe I rod knock this poor thing after 5 laps at mid ohio... maybe it gives us 3 trouble free seasons. We shall see. I am sure one day far down the road a beautiful ford V8 with ITBs will show up... but for now...

Accessories:
One of the biggest challenges will be building a nice intake system... At least at first we will not be opting for some sort of fuel injected ITB setup. There are a few options out there. I have been following @Peter Umino 's build very closely to see how his works out for him. Instead the current plan is to try to make a traditional cable operated TB work with a custom intake. We have a few ideas going but it will have to wait until the car is in front of us to see just how much space we have (expecting very little room lol).

Fuel System:
I have been reading a lot about the different solutions you guys have come up with to keep fuel injection happy. Currently the plan is to have a low pressure bump feed a swirl pot which will protect a high pressure pump/regulators. What I can't make my mind up on is what to do about 2 separate fuel tanks... I think a transfer pump feeding a primary tank is a good solution... but maybe we will try just tying them together with a well protected hose first...

Exhaust:
Going to be welding up our own. This will be a giant challenger but we are excited to give it a shot. It will be very hard to satisfy the firing order of the LS in a neat package. Also I have to admit I will need to practice my TIG welding a lot first.....

Tires:
We went for the 17" wheels to help fit some more modern tires and increase our options. Currently looking at a nice set of Toyo tires. It is hard to find a 295 set that is reasonable for street and track... might be settling for something a little smaller at first. Would love for some tips on this especially if you do performance driving.

Exterior:
I am partial to red on cars. Certainly my favorite color. Still searching for the perfect shade of racing red. I will top it off with two big fat white stripes up the middle.
I know it is not quite authentic, but I also love the look of the the MKII style brake cooling ducts. The functionality is cool too. Some minor front aero is certainly in order as well. The Alan Mann cars are a good visual for the concept despite the gold stripes and different side scoops. We might be powder coating the wheels a DOW 7 look alike if we can find a color we like.

Follow along... I will be sharing as much detail as I can. This forum is an incredible resource. We have read many of the build threads several times over and we are excited to be joining in the fun. I will probably start by going into detail on the work already completed on the engine.

Cheers!
Nick

Kyle

Supporter
Planning a similar build in the future, except I think I’m going to pony up the money and suck it up for a L92. Going with Holley gauges?

Planning a similar build in the future, except I think I’m going to pony up the money and suck it up for a L92. Going with Holley gauges?
An L92 would be cool! Not doing Holley gauges. If I was doing aftermarket gauges I'd go for auto meter Ultra-lite II's. I've put them on a previous car and they were fantastic and looked awesome. I ordered digital original style gauges just in case I want a more original look in the future... But believe it or not I am considering a Holley digital dash. I always thought they were cool and wanted to play with one. It's one of those things that I will wait until the kit arrives before I make up my mind.

Not really an update... more of catch up on the engine going in the car:

It started out as such a sorry looking heap lol.

1.jpg

2.jpg

It came with pretty much everything needed to run the engine... even the fuse box and coolant tank.

Here it is with the head off the first time:

4.jpg

Before I bought it I ran a borescope into each cylinder after popping off the spark plugs. I knew I wasn't in for any nasty surprises, but was happy to find plenty of honing mark left and no deep scoring. The honing marks are polished smooth where the skirts of the pistons push against the bore wall the hardest, but nothing I am worried about.

3.jpg

Here are some before and after photos of the DIY porting. It was quite the dramatic transformation. I was thankful my friend was around to point out where water jackets and bolt holes were so I didn't over-do it. I "gasket-matched" the exhaust ports too. When we build the headers we will try our best to keep a smooth transition. It was nice to clean out all the carbon build up as well. He was able take them in to his shop and cut new valve seats as well! I went with slightly oversized intake valves. To hopefully get even more air flowing through the newly opened ports.

Exhaust:

22.jpg

11.jpg

Intake:

222.jpg

33.jpg

Here it is almost back together. Since this photo I have put the rockers back on. For these I upgraded/replaced the roller bearings with a BTR part that adds snap ring on either side of the bearing. The OEM rockers are very strong and well documented to hold extreme horsepower and RPM, however the OEM bearings are held in with end caps simply pressed in to the side of the housing. At high rpm these are known to "float" out and then the un-sealed roller bearings are free to slide off and promptly release their 30 needle bearings into your oiling system. Not exactly ideal. ARP head bolts went in without a hitch.

44.jpg

I haven't re-installed an intake manifold as that is quite the challenge to figure out. I also haven't torqued down the front cover yet. I am looking into dry sump systems / electric water pumps at the moment so it will be coming back off depending on what I choose.

Obviously still lots of cosmetic work to do as well...

Kyle

Supporter
For mine I eliminated the knock sensors, relocated the oil pressure sensor to just above the oil filter. I would also consider replacing the cam retainer plate and “barbell” in back cover. I used regular block spray paint but I may give consideration to por15 now.

For mine I eliminated the knock sensors, relocated the oil pressure sensor to just above the oil filter. I would also consider replacing the cam retainer plate and “barbell” in back cover. I used regular block spray paint but I may give consideration to por15 now.

Hey Kyle!

I will look in to the oil pressure sensor relocation... that was not on my radar. Thank you it sounds worth while.
I already have a new aluminum "barbell". Just haven't put it in yet. I did order a new cam retainer plate and installed that as well.

por15 would look sweet... still can't decide on what colors I want on my engine though...

Hello Everyone!

I can't believe it, the build is finally going to happen! This week my dad and I placed an order with Fran for a RCR40 mkI.

Some light background:

We have built two other cars together... the first one was a 1972 Dodge Dart. The joke was that my dad was afraid I would rot away playing Call of Duty if he didn't push me to find another interest. The deal was that he would help me fix up a cool old car and I could drive it to high school when I turned 16, I just had to give up video games LOL. We bought the heap of rusty metal for $900 near the Ohio river when I was about 14... 2 years later we had replaced the 225 slant six auto with a 318 v8 auto and replaced every body panel and painted it bright red ourselves. Dual black hood scoops. During that project we learned so much, and had a blast doing it. Prior to this my dad only had some wood working tools. We had to teach ourselves everything. No doubt about it we caught the bug.

Shortly after completing the Dart we decided we had so much fun we wanted to try something else, and a local add for a 73 Challenger popped up. Like all old mopars in the rust belt it was in sorry shape but a fun looking project nonetheless. That build took around 10 years. It taught us even more than the dart.
Getting into cars and building them pushed me to try out Mechanical Engineering... I loved it. Obviously college slowed things down in the middle of the build. Once that car was complete it wasn't getting driven like it should. It was a funny realization... we spent 10 years excited to drive the finished car and cherish a shiny Mopar... (way nicer than the Dart is tbh) but it wasn't as much fun as building the thing! This realization started the ball rolling on selling it and starting something new. Another motivator was I moved across town for work after graduating so a new project would be a great excuse to hangout together more! For years a GT40 kit car was on my radar, and finally we sold the Challenger and recently ordered a kit. On to a new chapter... and time to learn how to be pros with fiberglass!

Hours and hours of research have already been completed... and oh my gosh so many questions and open ends still remain. Lots of exciting and fun challenges to be met putting something like this together.
A rough estimate from RCR has the kit being ready around October of this year. Plenty of time to finish initial plans.

The build plan:

The concept of this build is focusing on the joy of driving and not so much attempting to maintain originality. We want a car that is a blast to drive. Something that we aren't afraid to drive hard. We plan on taking the car to open track days across the Midwest, while also showing up to local car shows and autocross events. It would also be a blast to drive to work.

Minor Order Details:
MkI RCR GT40 Kit
Single scoop front end
17" BRM wheels
2" flares
LHD
6-point cage

Drivetrain Plan:
Already acquired. 5.3 LS. LM7 iron block with aluminum 706 cathedral port heads. Out of a 02 Silverado with 120,000 miles.
Already installed a Brain Tooley Racing road racing cam, ultimate RPM valve springs, sealed roller bearing trunnion upgrade, and chromoly pushrods.
This valvetrain should support up to 7500 rpm without floating a valve/hurting itself.
Hoping to squeeze a dry/wet sump oil system into the budget. At a bare minimum will install an accusump.
Planning on a Holley EFI setup to run the engine and probably many other parts of the car.
I have a good friend that works at a performance shop that looked over my shoulder while I hand ported the heads.
I think asking for 450-480hp from this old LS is reasonable after the aforementioned upgrades.

yes yes yes I know. A CHEVY ENGINE?!? GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE! Don't get me wrong, the ford V8s I see going in most of these cars are incredible!
Very inexpensive
proven durability even straight out of the junkyard over 100,000 miles of service.

These characteristics make a good case I think for a autocross/track day build that we don't have to worry about too much. Worst case this engine spins a bearing or starts to knock. I can hop online and there will be several similar engines for sale for a few hundred bucks down the road, not to mention every Columbus junkyard has a constant supply of vehicles with LS engines.
One of the tricks with these engines is to NEVER crack open the bottom end. The joke there is that if you do you'll let the magic out!! So we are going to try and get away with not even touching the mains or connecting rods/pistons to begin with.
I considered a 6.0 instead of the 5.3... but I opted for the engine that can spin faster on the big end.
Maybe I rod knock this poor thing after 5 laps at mid ohio... maybe it gives us 3 trouble free seasons. We shall see. I am sure one day far down the road a beautiful ford V8 with ITBs will show up... but for now...

Accessories:
One of the biggest challenges will be building a nice intake system... At least at first we will not be opting for some sort of fuel injected ITB setup. There are a few options out there. I have been following @Peter Umino 's build very closely to see how his works out for him. Instead the current plan is to try to make a traditional cable operated TB work with a custom intake. We have a few ideas going but it will have to wait until the car is in front of us to see just how much space we have (expecting very little room lol).

Fuel System:
I have been reading a lot about the different solutions you guys have come up with to keep fuel injection happy. Currently the plan is to have a low pressure bump feed a swirl pot which will protect a high pressure pump/regulators. What I can't make my mind up on is what to do about 2 separate fuel tanks... I think a transfer pump feeding a primary tank is a good solution... but maybe we will try just tying them together with a well protected hose first...

Exhaust:
Going to be welding up our own. This will be a giant challenger but we are excited to give it a shot. It will be very hard to satisfy the firing order of the LS in a neat package. Also I have to admit I will need to practice my TIG welding a lot first.....

Tires:
We went for the 17" wheels to help fit some more modern tires and increase our options. Currently looking at a nice set of Toyo tires. It is hard to find a 295 set that is reasonable for street and track... might be settling for something a little smaller at first. Would love for some tips on this especially if you do performance driving.

Exterior:
I am partial to red on cars. Certainly my favorite color. Still searching for the perfect shade of racing red. I will top it off with two big fat white stripes up the middle.
I know it is not quite authentic, but I also love the look of the the MKII style brake cooling ducts. The functionality is cool too. Some minor front aero is certainly in order as well. The Alan Mann cars are a good visual for the concept despite the gold stripes and different side scoops. We might be powder coating the wheels a DOW 7 look alike if we can find a color we like.

Follow along... I will be sharing as much detail as I can. This forum is an incredible resource. We have read many of the build threads several times over and we are excited to be joining in the fun. I will probably start by going into detail on the work already completed on the engine.

Cheers!
Nick

Hello Everyone!

Some light background:

The build plan:

Minor Order Details:
MkI RCR GT40 Kit
Single scoop front end
17" BRM wheels
2" flares
LHD
6-point cage

Drivetrain Plan:

Very inexpensive

Accessories:

Fuel System:

Exhaust:

Tires:

Exterior:

Cheers!
Nick
Congrats Nick! I too am ordering a RCR4O and planing a build very similar to yours. LS7 power modern wheels and tires. Looking forward to a couple of trach days a year and taking it out to the Friday night car shows. My 2 cents say it’s not a Ford it’s a kit that I built. At car show here in Denver nobody has seen a GT40. They won’t know what it is until I tell them. Heck a lot of the guys at show won’t even know what engine it has!!! Good luck and thanks for posting
Cheers! Chris

I've spent the past few weeks finishing up the plan for the fuel system. It is still not complete, but I have narrowed things down to 4 decent choices, all with their own sets of pros and cons... I just need to decide on one and move on. Currently my favorite plan is #1, but it is pretty complex. I also cannot find good data/testing on the available 6-port selector valves. I am concerned it may be too restrictive. However, if it works out I think it will be a elegant solution, especially because it will also switch over fuel level sensor data (I think). Option #4 below is nice and simple which is tempting.
Currently I plan to try and weld up a custom surge tank. (lots of TIG practice planned... I currently stink. My dad is pretty good with a spool gun). Id like to run Holley's 12-170 universal pump off the surge tank to supply the injectors. Most retail surge tanks come with pumps integrated in and seem way overkill for a stock LS. Also expensive. Also most don't have many attachment points. If I find the right one maybe I will change my mind.
Still looking for a good inexpensive pump to move fuel to the surge tank. I've picked out a Walbro GSL392BX for this. Any other suggestions welcome. They are $73. Not too bad. Curious to confirm how well they survive scavenging air momentarily to pull fuel up and out of the tank.

I was considering installing traditional fuel strainers on the ends of the pickup tubes and an initial large particle filter. Then I realized the RCR tanks don't have large holes. Instead inline filters will work. I actually think I like these better anyways. (looking at Holley 162-551)

Any suggestions or wisdom is always appreciated...

FS1.jpg

FS2.jpg

FS3.jpg

FS4.jpg

I like #3, but there is a concern.

The return will be a little unpredictable if you just Y it and unless you add a diverter valve to put it back into the tank you're pulling from, or just return to the primary and have some electronics to shut the secondary tank pump off when the primary tank is full. If not and you have 3/4 tank in both and forget and leave the secondary on, you could overfill the primary to the point it's burping out. A simple float switch and relay can handle this.

But having 2 jockey pumps, one from each tank to the swirl pot is my preference once you eliminate the overfilling issue.

I'll be welding my own swirl pot, so I'll just include a 5th port and level sender and eliminate the check valves. For that matter, I'm using Bosch 044 pumps and I'm pretty sure they have an integral check valve.

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
I like 1, basic 2 pump system with a Pollack valve. With any of these, what controls the level in the surge tank and what tells the surge tank to return to the main tank and what drives that?

Neil

Supporter
I like #3, but there is a concern.

The return will be a little unpredictable if you just Y it and unless you add a diverter valve to put it back into the tank you're pulling from, or just return to the primary and have some electronics to shut the secondary tank pump off when the primary tank is full. If not and you have 3/4 tank in both and forget and leave the secondary on, you could overfill the primary to the point it's burping out. A simple float switch and relay can handle this.

But having 2 jockey pumps, one from each tank to the swirl pot is my preference once you eliminate the overfilling issue.

I'll be welding my own swirl pot, so I'll just include a 5th port and level sender and eliminate the check valves. For that matter, I'm using Bosch 044 pumps and I'm pretty sure they have an integral check valve.
By using a SPDT switch with a center OFF, as shown, you cannot have both pumps ON at the same time.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I ran Number 2 for 15 years. Worked well.

You can also make it a bit more compact by running an internal pump inside the swirl pot. Like these http://www.radiumauto.com/FST-Fuel-Surge-Tank-Standard-P515.aspx. Pretty scary price though.

And some fuel injection systems run a dead head line so high pressure pump to fuel pressure regulator to fuel rail, with no return!

Hint, to ensure your High Pressure pump lasts, fit a manual switch so you can turn the low pressure pump on to fI’ll the swirl, so high pressure never sees air. A few seconds or air shortens the pump life considerably!

Ian

Back