Comparison

Steve

Supporter
Nevertheless Colonel its good to show those cheapskate yanks how to blow money properly and that they dont do everything bigger or better:worried:

Bob

Oh but we're just getting warmed up Bob. Medicare is a $600blion/year program that continually grows faster than the rate of inflation (while it pays docs abot the same as in the late 80's) and Obamacare dwarfs it.

As a doc I feel like Slim Pickens riding the bomb....

Oh but we're just getting warmed up Bob. Medicare is a $600blion/year program that continually grows faster than the rate of inflation (while it pays docs abot the same as in the late 80's) and Obamacare dwarfs it.

As a doc I feel like Slim Pickens riding the bomb....

Uk health service spends 100 billion per annum which works out approx £1500 ($1900) per person but there are thousands that pay for private health care.So the $600billion the US spends against the 340 million population is comparable I think:huh:. Is there a graph that could display this?

Bob

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Uk health service spends 100 billion per annum which works out approx £1500 ($1900) per person but there are thousands that pay for private health care.So the $600billion the US spends against the 340 million population is comparable I think:huh:. Is there a graph that could display this?

Bob

We actualy pay more in taxes per capita than you guys for our "state" health care systems -- Medicare and Medicaid -- and dn't get the NHS in return.

Our system is about as screwed up as it gets. Yours my have graft and waste and waits but ours has the same AND costs about 30% more per capita. America, fuck yeah!

Steve

Supporter
We actualy pay more in taxes per capita than you guys for our "state" health care systems -- Medicare and Medicaid -- and dn't get the NHS in return.

Our system is about as screwed up as it gets. Yours my have graft and waste and waits but ours has the same AND costs about 30% more per capita. America, fuck yeah!

Well, Medicare doesn't cover the whole 315million. Just the retirees and disabled. Jeff's right, we pay far more per capita than Britain. Of course, we have an 18 day wait for your total hip replacement rather than an 18 month wait....

In 2010, the Federal government of the USA spent an average of $11,041 per citizen (per capita). This compares to the 2010 World average spending of $2,376 per citizen and an average of $16,110 per citizen for the World's 20 largest economies (in terms of GDP). Of the 20 largest economies, only six spent less per citizen: South Korea ($4,557), Brazil ($2,813), Russia ($2,458), China ($1,010), and India ($226). Of the 13 that spent more, Norway and Sweden top the list with per citizen spending of $40,908 and $26,760 respectively.[8]

Public spending per head in Scotland revealed - The Scotsman

So you dont have it as bad as you think.I make that about $3000 dollars a head more that we spend per capita than the US

Bob

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
In 2010, the Federal government of the USA spent an average of $11,041 per citizen (per capita).

Keep in mind that every DIME of that comes out of the pockets of people who EARN A LIVING. And much of that money the U.S. govt simply hands over to those who don't.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Well, Medicare doesn't cover the whole 315million. Just the retirees and disabled. Jeff's right, we pay far more per capita than Britain. Of course, we have an 18 day wait for your total hip replacement rather than an 18 month wait....

Yes, that's my point. We tax and spend more by the government on Health care per capita just to cover about 30% of the populaton.

A bit of an exxageration on your wait times. While it can be longer in some countries with national health care systems, it's not as long as you suggest and some countries (our ultra efficient German friends) do better or equal to us on wait times.

International Comparison Access Timeliness - The Commonwealth Fund

I need a graph that accurately shows the total tax burden on the average joe in the USA, vs countries such as the Uk.

No point complaining that Medicare costs you more per person than the NHS does here, if the overall is less, which I suspect is the case. I need someone with a graph though, because I can't be arsed to look it up.

I find it highly questionable that any supposedly enlightened society would refuse health care, to any of its citizens, be they working or not. I may not like the idea of personally supporting scrounges either, but I wouldn't walk past one if they were lying in a ditch dying and I wouldn't resent the cost of the ambulance I just called.

Last edited:

Steve

Supporter
Yes, that's my point. We tax and spend more by the government on Health care per capita just to cover about 30% of the populaton.

A bit of an exxageration on your wait times. While it can be longer in some countries with national health care systems, it's not as long as you suggest and some countries (our ultra efficient German friends) do better or equal to us on wait times.

International Comparison Access Timeliness - The Commonwealth Fund

That is the time to see a Dr., not wait time for a THR, let's talk apples to apples. Big difference. Also, those numbers were very debated and ultimately proven false. When I was a med student at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in 1993 the average wait for an NHS patient was 12 months. Also, there were hoops to jump through to see if you qualify. The decision was not between the Dr. and the patient.

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3749801.stm
http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12964360
http://http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/10/081031112103.htm

Steve

Supporter
I need a graph that accurately shows the total tax burden on the average joe in the USA, vs countries such as the Uk.

No point complaining that Medicare costs you more per person than the NHS does here, if the overall is less, which I suspect is the case. I need someone with a graph though, because I can't be arsed to look it up.

I find it highly questionable that any supposedly enlightened society would refuse health care, to any of its citizens, be they working or not. I may not like the idea of personally supporting scrounges either, but I wouldn't walk past one if they were lying in a ditch dying and I wouldn't resent the cost of the ambulance I just called.

Mark, I agree with your point. There is a debate about healthcare as a right or as a privilege. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Access to healthcare is a right, but utilization is a privilege that should not be abused.

I saw 2 patients on Friday with a fall onto their wrist. One is fairly well off, small business owner, with a health plan that has $6000 deductible (first 6k comes out of their pocket). 2nd patient had Medicaid (health care paid for by taxes of others with no out of pocket expense). Both had a normal physical exam but a little tenderness of the scaphoid (bugger of a bone that breaks after falls and fractures are often missed, don't heal, and go on to wrist arthritis). I recommended an MRI to the first patient. They listened, then asked if it was really necessary. When I explained why they agreed and we proceeded. The second patient was requesting an MRI of the hand wrist forearm and elbow before I finished taking a history. This is a typical experience and outlines the need for some personal responsibility and some skin in the game. It's easy to request thousands of $ in tests and treatment (necessary or unnecessary) when "someone else" is paying for it. The truth, of course, is that we all pay for it and it's impossible to control costs without any individual restraints

Back