Cooling System - Excess Pressure

Chuck

Supporter
Peter:

The terminology does get confusing.

I have seen the pressurized tank referred to as the (1) Expansion tank (eg: as used on the 427) (2) Header tank or (3) Fill tank.

I have seen the non pressurized tank for holding excess fluid described as the (1) Reservoir tank (2) Recovery tank or (3) Fill tank.

Finally, in those cases where the non pressurized tank simply catches fluid and does not siphon it back into the system, I have see it described as (1) Overflow tank (2) Catch tank.

Your description of how you bleed your sysem is functionally the same as mine. Your suggestion of a 3 liter catch tank / recovery tank sounds like good advice. I will likely follow suit and go with a larger non pressurized / recovery / catch tank than I had originally planned. Thanks.

Chuck

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Frank, it is well named as a "puke tank" !

When I had a leak in the system & the puke / overflow / reservoir / recovery / fill tank got sucked dry & air was pulled into the system, I very nearly puked !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
""his recommendation is to run the 1/2" bypass from the t-stat housing to the suction side of the waterpump.""

this is correct. the large line from the bottom of the header tank should go to the inlet side of the water pump.

If you have to you can Tee into the large line running from the radiator. you shouldn't need to though if you're not running a heater, the capped off line from heater to water pump should be there.

Back