Coronavirus - Excellent Data-Based Analysis

Neil

Supporter
Ian, demonstrating the effectiveness of an a virus protective mask by blowing through it would not pass a seventh grade science class. Note that ignorant TV hosts are impressed, however.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I watched an interview of a virologist who broke it down into something quite simple and easy to understand ::
Viruses need a vehicle to travel in. By and large it is body fluids such as saliva that offer that vehicle. If you can arrest the spray from someone talking, coughing or sneezing, you stand a very good chance of stopping that virus from being spread. Simply said, viruses are hitchhikers and cannot travel on their own and do not easily separate from their host.

Basically in a nutshell, even wearing a bandana will help arrest the spreading of any virus or bacteria by simply trapping your spit. Does your mask do a great job of protecting you? Not really, but it is something. By wearing a mask, you’re doing more to protect others than you are yourself.

Yes, there are other things to think about too such as hygiene and how to clean and disinfect your PPE - BUT we have to start somewhere. It’s easy - just wear the mask when you are in areas where you can’t maintain reasonable distance from others..

Ian, Neil,

I think as a quick demonstration of why a 'real' mask is better than one produced from random fabric, the video is valid. Also valid is the reasoning & powder demonstration of how droplets behave in the air.

Sadly you do need to dumb down to communicate with a lot of the public, on both sides of the pond.

Regards Steve

Neil

Supporter
Steve, by Bill Nye's mask demonstration criterion, a really effective mask could be fabricated from 0.060" 6061-T6 aluminum. No one would be able to blow out a candle through that. ;)

Jared V

Supporter
1596281123596.jpeg

It appears the majority of deaths occurred when we were locked down. Unfortunately, the majority of these fatalities occurred in nursing homes and could have been avoided if proper precautions were taken. It appears we are doing much better. Mask wearing? Social distancing? Washing our hands? Protecting the most vulnerable? Let us hope the worst is behind us.

Jared V

Supporter
Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 12.53.13 PM.png

Daily test results in Chester County PA. While the number of overall tests has increased substantially. The number of positive tests has remained constant (dark blue). Negative tests are in light blue. Positive tests are consistent with the numbers in April during full lockdown here. You can't read too much into the lower recent positive numbers from the last few days due to the data always being updated slightly. The biggest obvious "spike" is the number of negative tests or testing in general.

Jared V

Supporter
Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 3.22.07 PM.png

Daily Deaths have decreased by a substantial amount in Chester County PA. PA continues to have some of the strongest restrictions in the country. The majority of deaths occurred here during the most restrictive phase of the COVID lockdowns.

I was recently intrigued to see how well the US is doing. I am a British expat (20 years). I decided to look by capita as opposed to exact numbers. It is not soooo easy to find. The population of the states is ~5 times that of the UK. When you look at in that perspective we are a LONG way behind. Our death rate per day is in the range of 500-1000 per day (depends on the day of the week when reporting occurs) and looks to have been fairly stable since the end of May. The UK has it down to the order of 10 or less per day since the beginning of July. While the overall deaths are higher in the UK per capita (they were hit harder earlier on), we have a 10-20 times larger death rate per capita than the UK. It shows that we are certainly not doing as well as we could be.
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 1.57.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 1.58.21 PM.png

Don't know how you are calculating the current numbers. Since January the UK has had 613/million deaths, the US 600/million.
The US has 20,248/million cases. The UK 5422/million cases.

In the past 6 weeks the US has had per million, 17x that of the UK.
Case wise, the US has seen 3.7x more case per million than the UK in the past 6 weeks.

Don't see how over the past 6 weeks the UK is doing better than the USA.

Don't know how you are calculating the current numbers. Since January the UK has had 613/million deaths, the US 600/million.
The US has 20,248/million cases. The UK 5422/million cases.

In the past 6 weeks the US has had per million, 17x that of the UK.
Case wise, the US has seen 3.7x more case per million than the UK in the past 6 weeks.

Don't see how over the past 6 weeks the UK is doing better than the USA.
I misread the post above, I originally thought the post said that the US was doing better then the UK. So yes the data does show that the UK is doing so much better than the USA.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Regardless of all the stats and charts and graphs and pro/con propaganda from BOTH sides...I'm really tired of this whole situation (which doesn't even begin to describe the Mrs' frustration level).

Hopefully the new discovery below preforms as claimed...it's verified/proven effective wiki-wiki...and hundreds of millions of doses can be made ready and distributed by this weekend so the Mrs and I can be inoculated and dine OUT by next weekend (stated only partially tongue-in-cheek):

Stay safe, All...

Regardless of all the stats and charts and graphs and pro/con propaganda from BOTH sides...I'm really tired of this whole situation (which doesn't even begin to describe the Mrs' frustration level).

Hopefully the new discovery below preforms as claimed...it's verified/proven effective wiki-wiki...and hundreds of millions of doses can be made ready and distributed by this weekend so the Mrs and I can be inoculated and dine OUT by next weekend (stated only partially tongue-in-cheek):

Stay safe, All...
I would call and make your dinner reservation for 3 years from next Saturday... ;)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I would call and make your dinner reservation for 3 years from next Saturday... ;)

We're in our late seventies, Allen. We may not be able to keep it! But, I agree with your sentiment 100%!
(The way things are going, the restaurant itself may not be here in 3 years...)

Jared V

Supporter
I misread the post above, I originally thought the post said that the US was doing better then the UK. So yes the data does show that the UK is doing so much better than the USA.

12% of the UK cases died. 3% of the US cases died. I would not call that a win for the UK. 4 times as many killed as it relates to the number of "cases." Assuming I am looking at this correctly. And the US hasn't exactly been conservative with how they assign COVID to a death certificate.

Jared V

Supporter
12% of the UK cases died. 3% of the US cases died. I would not call that a win for the UK. 4 times as many killed as it relates to the number of "cases." Assuming I am looking at this correctly. And the US hasn't exactly been conservative with how they assign COVID to a death certificate.
I would think to attribute this to the quantity of testing in the US but the UK is ahead of testing compared to the US I believe.

Not calling it a win. The stats you are looking at were from very early on in the UK. What the conversation is about is the present day and last 6 weeks. There is no comparison now. Don't mix old data with the current.

There is no excuse for now over 200,000 deaths with a projected 415,000 US deaths by Jan. 1. Please put your energy into saving lives.

Jared V

Supporter
Not calling it a win. The stats you are looking at were from very early on in the UK. What the conversation is about is the present day and last 6 weeks. There is no comparison now. Don't mix old data with the current.

There is no excuse for now over 200,000 deaths with a projected 415,000 US deaths by Jan. 1. Please put your energy into saving lives.

No, the data is still relevant, and you stated 200,000 deaths, which is not from the last six weeks. The fact is almost four times as many UK COVID cases died from the illness. What do you mean to put my energy into saving lives? Do you volunteer at the COVID unit at your local hospital? Are you volunteering at a testing center? Are your posts saving more lives than mine? Much of the country has moved on by my observation. As I have stated from the beginning, for the vast majority of the population, this virus is nothing to fear. Early on, I listened to a Doctor say that "the bad news is that most of us will get this virus; the good news is that most of us will be fine." It seems unrealistic that the death number will double in the next few months. I hope my more optimistic view is on point.

Back