Crank height

hi
I wonder if anyone knows the height between ground and center of the crank in a original mk1?
The same measurement that kit cars with renault and audi gearboxes have?
What tire diameter is normally used, my rear wheels are 650mm (25,6"), and I choose that diameter because it looks great on the car. look left..
To me it seems that the engine in my car becomes much higher than pictures that can be seen in this forum.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ingvar

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Don't know the measurement for sure, tire size, suspension could also vary that measurement.

My immediate response is that the engine mated to a Renault sits higher (I have this) maybe as much as 25-35 mm. In fact, the rear window came very, very close to the rear Weber 3" stacks. I'm sure the original ZF trans allowed for the motor to sit lower. The Audi may be similar to the ZF positioning, others here will let you know.

BTW, I agree with your tire size. Anything under 26" dia looks best to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chris Duncan

Supporter
""I wonder if anyone knows the height between ground and center of the crank in a original mk1?""

From crank center to pan bottom (bottom of car) is 6". Ground clearance varied from 3" to 4.5" in the rear (approximately) So about 9" to 10.5"

Note 4.5" in the rear means 4" in the front, pretty low for the street.

Thanks
Then I have nothing to worry aboat, my engine (with a audi 01e 6-speed) seems to be mounted aboat 1,5 to 2 inch higher which is acceptable to me then. Does anyone disagree?
Ingvar

If the oil pan is even with the bottom of the frame, then ride height is all that is a variable and is adjustable. If the engine is lower, you are asking for trouble. Be sure to check the axel angles.

Bill

Back