Del's Build: SLC IR/8

Cam - The taillights on my Elise are the stock housings that I retrofitted with LEDs. See post 38 on this thread: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f9...ight-conversion-2005-elise-369962/index2.html

There are also several aftermarket units available like this one: https://www.gregsraceparts.com/coll...-halo-tail-light-set-for-elise-exige-esprit-1

After looking at your pics in the link, now I see why they looked different than stock. I like the black part between the red and clear lense.

After looking at your pics in the link, now I see why they looked different than stock. I like the black part between the red and clear lense.
Del, you might consider making an aluminum floor extension in front of the rear wheels to protect those vital fuel components from road debris.

Del, you might consider making an aluminum floor extension in front of the rear wheels to protect those vital fuel components from road debris.

Thanks for the tip! I have several sheets of aluminum I originally bought so may be a good use for it.

Meant to add these pictures yesterday of when I prepped the car, for a laugh if anything. They were suppose to pick up the car the next day, but got a call while at work asking if he could pick it up this evening. I had limited time, so did as much as I could. He ended up being late and I got carried away while not watching the clock. I think looks alot worse than what it really is, I folded one end over itself on each piece so Allan could just grab and pull to remove each piece and not fight it.

Forgot how messy the shop was at that time since I was focused on nursery stuff and getting Audi up to par with fluid changes so I knew last time it was done. I wasn't able to get out there to spend anytime until February, but nice and clean and waited for it to return. Maybe one day I'll get some interlocking floor tiles for the SLC spot.

IMG_20181119_191555.jpg

IMG_20181119_191642.jpg
IMG_20181119_203520.jpg

IMG_20181119_214524.jpg

Last edited:
Few powdercoat pictures from last June. I never did get around to cutting out some black Brembo decals for the calipers, figured it can wait till it gets back since I'll be pulling the wheels off to put in some Wearever Gold pads. Plus since the bronze powdercoat doesn't remotely match, I'll dip them in silver (got on black friday) to see how it looks. I have a feeling it'll be too much since I have the 19/20's and probably will need to get do them in a darker color. Least I'll have an idea what color wheels I want and if I want to just get the F14s redone properly or find something else. Probably latter, at some point anyways.

IMG_20180626_155054.jpg

IMG_20180626_155156.jpg

IMG_20180626_155232.jpg

IMG_20180703_145815.jpg

IMG_20180703_145840.jpg

IMG_20180703_190917.jpg

IMG_20180708_121026.jpg

IMG_20180708_121141.jpg

IMG_20180708_123225.jpg

IMG_20180708_142109.jpg

Figured I'd share an interior picture Allan just sent me. I'm glad I had just ordered an OMP flat-bottom steering wheel, the one that comes with the kit doesn't look quite right in my particular car. I'll make some inlays for the OMP logo in orange and new "horn" button, likely with Superlite circle. Just have to wait for the car to return so I can use my vinyl swatch catalog to properly match the caliper powdercoat and order a roll. Orange harnesses aren't for everyone, but I'm glad I decided do orange.

Attach66251_20190429_093920.jpg

Last edited:
I think I may start sharing completed pics I've gotten from Allan on here when I get a chance. It'll show where the car started before I got it back from Allan and how it evolves from there, plus I can log things as I go.

Wow, the car looks great Del. Allan is so good at what he does, amazing work.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing it person. No doubt Allan is fantastic at what he does, I can't say enough good things about him and the entire build process!

After 3 transport companies, 4 if you count one that I called yesterday and hasn't returned my call, 3 weeks later finally got the call that my car will be picked up today or tomorrow, assuming Allan is available. Todd at Stewart is who actually came through, Intercity was who I originally called and said they'd pick up the car within 2 weeks and today makes 3 weeks and still no hard date.

ETA is Friday, but I'm sure that's assuming it does get scooped up today.

Been slowly making a list of stuff that was changed/modified on my car. There is probably a few other things I'll add to it as I remember them.

BODY MODS:
Grigio Telesto Body Color
Graziano Diffuser Extension
Gloss Black Diffuser
Gloss Black Around Window Trim
Rear Of Seats & Speaker Area On Door Body Color
Deleted "SL-C" On Tail
Modified/Custom Console For RCR Gated Shifter & Screen
Speaker Box For Component Speakers
Body Color Headlights & No Black Trim On Lens
Body Color Hinges
Lotus Elise Taillights Retrofitted 2x (On Car Itself & 3 Halos Per Light)
Satin Black Door & Clam Sills
Undercoated Body

POWDERCOAT/CERAMIC:
Prismatic Illusion Orange
- Brembo Calipers
- Engine Brace
- Firewall Brace Bars
- QA1 Springs
Miscellaneous Parts Powdercoated Gloss Black
Exhaust Exits Through Diffuser (Running Cats & Mufflers)
Ceramic Coated Exhaust

AUDIO:
Android 8.1 2DIN Shallow Headunit
- Infinity Kappa 50.11CS (5.25" Component Set)
- Infinity Kappa 462.11CFP (4"x6" 2-Way)

MISCELLANEOUS:
Auto-Vox X1-Pro LCD Rear View Mirror
Billet Automotive Buttons
APR Carbon Mirrors
Nose Hinge
Alsa's Soft Touch Paint For Interior
Satin Clear On Carbon Binnacles
Tillet B5 - Carbon, Diamond Orange Stitched Pads, Superlite Logo On Headrest
Dual USB Port (1 For Headunit, 1 Powered For Charging)
CarQuest Wearever Gold Semi-Metallic Front & Rear Brake Pads
Radiantz Front Signals (Placeholder Till I Finish Custom Set)
Morimoto H9 HID Low Beams (50w & 5500K)
LED H9 High Beams
LED Rear Signals & Reverse Lights
RacesEng Topology Shift Knob (Translucent Orange)
FiTech Fuel Pump
OMP Superquadro Suede Steering Wheel
AIM MXS Strada With GPS
Sound Damplifier
Optima Red Top Battery
Cipher Orange 5-Point Harness
Automatic/Power Doors
Power E-Brake

I got the carbon fiber extended door panels and a-pillars, both ended up being a waste of money to upgrade to carbon due to quality the carbon and as we know the fitment sucks too, I should have researched this more. Console is/was also all carbon, but had to be modified to fit the RCR gated shifter. Everything got covered up with the Alsa Soft Touch.

Last edited:
ETA for delivery, as of now, is Saturday between 12 & 3. It's weird, people ask if I'm excited (I guess I don't show it very well) and while there's no doubt I am, it's still a little surreal for me....been 12.5yrs since I discovered the GTM (and later SLC, of course) and started saving. Saturday it'll become a reality and I have a feeling after transport leaves, and after my first spin around the neighborhood, I'll probably need to grab a roll of Scott brand shop towels to wipe up the drool while I sit and admire Allan's work.

I have also setup initial inspection with the state police to get the registration process started (hence #1 on the list). He'll come out to the house Wednesday at 1pm. I hope this is somewhat painless, other than the drive to Baton Rouge DMV to give them paperwork. Also hope I only have to make 1 trip there, was told to expect 2 trips because trooper told me they reject it first time because they're ignorant of what's actually needed.

Figured I'd go ahead and share my "to do list" that I've come up with over past month or so.

INSTALL MSO PLATE!

MATCH VINYL TO POWDERCOAT & ORDER

FIRE EXTINGUISHER LOCATION & ORDER
FIND TOWING STRAPS THAT WILL WORK & ORDER

FIND FORGESTAR WHEEL OFFSETS
LEARN TO GET IN/OUT OF CAR, THIS WILL TAKE SOME TIME AS I'M FAR FROM GRACEFUL. VIDEO IT FOR KENNY.

Dip wheels silver
Cut out some Brembo decals
Install new brake pads
Install shift knob
Measure tails, print CAD template to cutout light smoke tint for them (may not stay tinted)
Play with settings for rear view mirror
Install real carbon Superlite emblem to hood (this may wait till officially on the road)
Paint exhaust tips satin black, if needed
Buy and attempt to use static cling tint, after inspection I hope to pull a Cam and find someone to tint with normal tint
Install another set of reverse & signal LEDs to see which is brighter
Install LED high beams
Align headlights if needed
Install DRL module for front signals
Install CarWebGuru launcher
Copy MP3s to tiny jump drive
Hardwire 2nd USB port
Install PPF on door & foot sills, maybe clam sills at rub points
Change yellow to orange on OMP flat bottom steering wheel
Cut out Superlite logo, wrap horn button on OMP steering wheel in gloss black with logo in gray/orange
Pick AIM theme
Borrow brother's C3's LS3 Corvette fuel rail covers & test fit. Alternative is to use Holley Coil Covers #242-1
Look to see if any possiblity to shorten wiper stalk. Didn't someone do this? Anyone remember who?
Possibly wrap air intake with body color vinyl, TBD
Add reluctor ring with speed speed sensor for VSS

Design license plate housing in 3D, along with circuit board using 1533L2 LEDs
Design grills around license plate in 3D
Design front signals LED boards using 1533L2 LEDs
Design VIN plate
Design & cutout overlay for HVAC knobs & button outline in orange vinyl

SLC & IR/8 emblems are already drawn in 3D, just need dimensions below to get 3D resin printed:
Measure for rear SLC emblem
Measure for rear IR/8 emblem
Measure for fender SLC emblems
Measure for dash SLC or IR/8 emblem

ETA for delivery, as of now, is Saturday between 12 & 3. It's weird, people ask if I'm excited (I guess I don't show it very well) and while there's no doubt I am, it's still a little surreal for me....been 12.5yrs since I discovered the GTM (and later SLC, of course) and started saving. Saturday it'll become a reality and I have a feeling after transport leaves, and after my first spin around the neighborhood, I'll probably need to grab a roll of Scott brand shop towels to wipe up the drool while I sit and admire Allan's work.

I have also setup initial inspection with the state police to get the registration process started (hence #1 on the list). He'll come out to the house Wednesday at 1pm. I hope this is somewhat painless, other than the drive to Baton Rouge DMV to give them paperwork. Also hope I only have to make 1 trip there, was told to expect 2 trips because trooper told me they reject it first time because they're ignorant of what's actually needed.

Figured I'd go ahead and share my "to do list" that I've come up with over past month or so.

INSTALL MSO PLATE!

MATCH VINYL TO POWDERCOAT & ORDER
FIRE EXTINGUISHER LOCATION & ORDER
FIND TOWING STRAPS THAT WILL WORK & ORDER

FIND FORGESTAR WHEEL OFFSETS
LEARN TO GET IN/OUT OF CAR, THIS WILL TAKE SOME TIME AS I'M FAR FROM GRACEFUL. VIDEO IT FOR KENNY.

Dip wheels silver
Cut out some Brembo decals
Install new brake pads
Install shift knob
Measure tails, print CAD template to cutout light smoke tint for them (may not stay tinted)
Play with settings for rear view mirror
Install real carbon Superlite emblem to hood (this may wait till officially on the road)
Paint exhaust tips satin black, if needed
Buy and attempt to use static cling tint, after inspection I hope to pull a Cam and find someone to tint with normal tint
Install another set of reverse & signal LEDs to see which is brighter
Install LED high beams
Align headlights if needed
Install DRL module for front signals
Install CarWebGuru launcher
Copy MP3s to tiny jump drive
Hardwire 2nd USB port
Install PPF on door & foot sills, maybe clam sills at rub points
Change yellow to orange on OMP flat bottom steering wheel
Cut out Superlite logo, wrap horn button on OMP steering wheel in gloss black with logo in gray/orange
Pick AIM theme
Borrow brother's C3's LS3 Corvette fuel rail covers & test fit. Alternative is to use Holley Coil Covers #242-1
Look to see if any possiblity to shorten wiper stalk. Didn't someone do this? Anyone remember who?
Possibly wrap air intake with body color vinyl, TBD
Add reluctor ring with speed speed sensor for VSS

Design license plate housing in 3D, along with circuit board using 1533L2 LEDs
Design grills around license plate in 3D
Design front signals LED boards using 1533L2 LEDs
Design VIN plate
Design & cutout overlay for HVAC knobs & button outline in orange vinyl

SLC & IR/8 emblems are already drawn in 3D, just need dimensions below to get 3D resin printed:
Measure for rear SLC emblem
Measure for rear IR/8 emblem
Measure for fender SLC emblems
Measure for dash SLC or IR/8 emblem
Did i hear baton rouge? Im from new orleans dude. Cant wait to see your ride one day

Lived in Nola all my life. I just moved to California. I'm gonna get a GT-R soon. I don't know where I wanna build it yet. All of my stuff and my dad is back in the south. But I wanna be able to work on it when I want without having to fly back for long periods of time. I went to school in Shreveport and breaux bridge after Katrina.

Back