Do Higher Taxes = More Revenue?

As the Great Man himself once said, "We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle".

Oh for such men

Perfect timing on this thread Bob.
My daughter a high school senior did a presentation in her economics class this morning, using the info in video. The teacher a democrat was impressed and considering it was contradicting his propaganda throughout the school year, he was lost for words. She did receive an "A" on both the subject matter and the presentation. I'm sure he will be up all night thinking about this and will have comments tomorrow.

Bob, thanks for posting.
You know that I took all the credit.

Wayne

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I can't add anything to Pete's comments. It holds merit to some degree, but what errors or assumptions were made in the study? All in all I found LBs posting somewhat enlightening, but I'll never admit to that if asked.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
There is no doubt that at some point too much taxes will become counter productive. The real question is where is that line?

I submit that we are nowhere near that point. Here is my reasoning:

Median tax rate for highest earners 1955................51.2%
Median tax rate for highest earners 2007................16.6%

A quick look at our economy in the 1950s shows incredable growth and the almost total paydown of the Depression/WWII debt.

So, although there is a number where deminishing returns is met, it seems to be north of 51.2%

Data from North Pennsylvania Business Journal

America's highest earners - the top 400 - have seen the share of their income paid in federal income tax plummet from 51.2 percent in 1955 to 16.6 percent in 2007, the most recent year with top 400 statistics available.

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I wondered the same thing. Plus, as some point in the curve, even at the end (100% tax rate), the money being paid in taxes is somehow being returned to its payers in some form or fashion, thus the assumption that 100% taxes paid result in no workers working, may not be as accurate as at first assumed. In that scenario, one could reasonably see the government as providing all the "needs" of the individual. Thus there would be some kind of return on the taxes, and I'm sure there would be some kind of "incentive" (brutal or not) to work. Needless to say, I wouldn't want to live in that world (we've seen similar societies in the past). The point is, I don't believe the crest is as low as 32%, but not as high as 90%, and probably varies in time with social pressures, attitude, and the political climate.

Wayne, I am more than pleased that your daughter learned something from this and even got one on the teacher! How sweet is that? It is the schools that are creating the political, financial, and behavioral thoughts of our future generations. Both sides need to be represented again.

YOU'RE A GREAT DAD, too!

Perfect timing on this thread Bob.
My daughter a high school senior did a presentation in her economics class this morning, using the info in video. The teacher a democrat was impressed and considering it was contradicting his propaganda throughout the school year, he was lost for words. She did receive an "A" on both the subject matter and the presentation. I'm sure he will be up all night thinking about this and will have comments tomorrow.

Bob, thanks for posting.
You know that I took all the credit.

Wayne

How does all of that get skewed with the fact that so many pay no federal income tax (I don't want to get into the actual number because that has become another slogan by some)? With no skin in the game, larger and larger numbers of people willingly vote for more and more taxes. :~)

I wondered the same thing. Plus, as some point in the curve, even at the end (100% tax rate), the money being paid in taxes is somehow being returned to its payers in some form or fashion, thus the assumption that 100% taxes paid result in no workers working, may not be as accurate as at first assumed. In that scenario, one could reasonably see the government as providing all the "needs" of the individual. Thus there would be some kind of return on the taxes, and I'm sure there would be some kind of "incentive" (brutal or not) to work. Needless to say, I wouldn't want to live in that world (we've seen similar societies in the past). The point is, I don't believe the crest is as low as 32%, but not as high as 90%, and probably varies in time with social pressures, attitude, and the political climate.

I have yet to figure out how our existing tax situation is "fair" and by what the media and Liberals think "the rich people paying their fair share" is.

God is fair and he has come up with a plan. He only wants 10% and everyone pays. If He thinks that is fair, so do I.

At the risk of starting another religious war in the Paddock, I must say, "AMEN."

I have yet to figure out how our existing tax situation is "fair" and by what the media and Liberals think "the rich people paying their fair share" is.

God is fair and he has come up with a plan. He only wants 10% and everyone pays. If He thinks that is fair, so do I.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter

Gee Tom,

I think the last election proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it is not just Liberals, but "Americans" by a wide margin, that think the wealthy need to pay more in taxes!

58% think the rich should pay more!
26% think the rich pay enough.

But please stick to what you believe in! I'm sure that going to the wall for the rich is a great plan and will be a big help for you in the next election!

Please send us over the "CLIFF" before make me pay one penny more!

National polls show that Republicans would take the brunt of the blame for a dive over the so-called fiscal cliff. A Washington Post/Pew Research Survey released this week found that a majority of the public (53 percent) would point the finger at Republicans if Congress fails to reach a deal on taxes and government spending. Just 27 percent would blame President Obama.

Last edited:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

I would support such a plan.

10% of GROSS income, no fat-cat deductions or exemptions, just a flat/fair 10% tax on us all.

Not gonna happen when the laws are made by the fat-cat politicians and they are influenced by their campaign contributors, though---and not gonna happen until ALL income, gross income, is taxed at the same rate for everyone....no "Capital Gains" tax at 50% the rate of earned income.

Simplify the income tax laws...they are a morass of conflicting regulations right now, too dificult for even many CPA's to deal with.

Not a good situation...

Doug

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I'd prefer 3%

Each time any money is paid into any account in the country the bank removes 3% and sends it daily to the government.
If funds are remitted outside the country the bank removes 6% (incentive to bring production on shore)

Then cancel all other taxes.

Example
Your earn £2000 and your company pays this by bank transfer your account is credited with £1940. The government gets their £60

Your decide to pay £100 into your saving account your only get £97 because again the £3 is taken and paid to the government.

You pay your kids £100 pocket money - guess what they also pay tax now!

But no more fuel duty, no more death duty, no more any type of tax.
3% of GDP is enough for any government to run on.
And just think of the savings the government can make - it can fire all the legislators on tax, all the tax inspectors, Customs inspectors etc - no longer needed to be there to collect revenue.

Best thing about it is the banks are legislated that they must do this free of charge as pay back for all the billions that the Government bailed them out.

Would anyone mind paying just 3%??????

Ian

I would support such a plan.

10% of GROSS income, no fat-cat deductions or exemptions, just a flat/fair 10% tax on us all.

Not gonna happen when the laws are made by the fat-cat politicians and they are influenced by their campaign contributors, though---and not gonna happen until ALL income, gross income, is taxed at the same rate for everyone....no "Capital Gains" tax at 50% the rate of earned income.

Simplify the income tax laws...they are a morass of conflicting regulations right now, too dificult for even many CPA's to deal with.

Not a good situation...

Doug

Exactly!

Gee Tom,

I think the last election proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it is not just Liberals, but "Americans" by a wide margin, that think the wealthy need to pay more in taxes!

58% think the rich should pay more!
26% think the rich pay enough.

But please stick to what you believe in! I'm sure that going to the wall for the rich is a great plan and will be a big help for you in the next election!

Please send us over the "CLIFF" before make me pay one penny more!

National polls show that Republicans would take the brunt of the blame for a dive over the so-called fiscal cliff. A Washington Post/Pew Research Survey released this week found that a majority of the public (53 percent) would point the finger at Republicans if Congress fails to reach a deal on taxes and government spending. Just 27 percent would blame President Obama.

Like I said, no one has been able to quantify what "fair" is to me. You didn't. I would like to know your definition of what "fair" is and why you think this would be fair.

If everyone had "skin in the game", more people would be interested in how their money was spent, congress would be held more accountable for their spending habits.

As far as this fiscal cliff is concerned, here is an idea, let's all go over it! All the fiscal cliff means is that there are preset limits to spending and tax hikes. I feel that this may be better as the spending cuts would be addressed as spending cuts are not being taken seriously by Obama.

As long as spending cuts are taken (with a cleaver) and there are some adjustments to tax increases on everyone equally, that would be a good thing.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Sounds like a good plan Ian, but where will all the tax men and lawyers go after they lose thier jobs!!

They go out and get proper jobs!

And in case you are interested I am an accountant so this would probably reduce my income stream, but I believe it would be the fairest way.

Ian

Back