Door window removal and or other options?

Hello all,

New member and yes I tried the search button with little luck.

Future owner of P2148 GT40 Superformance.

How easy is it to remove the side windows? Are they glued in and or 3m ribbon sealer?

I doubt it would ever see rain and looking for other options that might be available.

Thank you for your input.

Curt A

These are used a lot in hot climate, so much better with the wind deflectors at high speed
DSCF2907.jpg

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Curt,
I drove mine for two years without a drivers window as I had not installed a decent ventilation system.

I was amazed that the amount of buffeting inside the car was really not too bad up to about 100 mph after that yes buffeting happened and it became a bad hair day!

My windows are screwed in place into rivnuts mounted in the fibreglass. I used closed cell sticky back rubber to act as a seal and stop rattles etc. https://coh-baines.co.uk/product/s-a-b-polyethylene-stocked-
10 minutes and window is removed!

When it rains it leaks!

ian

Someone needs to make a kit which has the rivnuts etc to provide for taking the windows out, putting them back in without damaging the fiberglass. I have periodically taken the flip out windows off and it helps open up the car and increase driving fun.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Someone needs to make a kit which has the rivnuts etc to provide for taking the windows out, putting them back in without damaging the fiberglass. I have periodically taken the flip out windows off and it helps open up the car and increase driving fun.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Well we will do such a kit! Honestly, I have never needed to go without the side windows in an SPF GT with a properly functioning A/C system but if you want 'em, we will do 'em! The factory SPF windows do not have any sealer, no 3M ribbon, etc. Just the plex on the fiberglass.

Well we will do such a kit! Honestly, I have never needed to go without the side windows in an SPF GT with a properly functioning A/C system but if you want 'em, we will do 'em! The factory SPF windows do not have any sealer, no 3M ribbon, etc. Just the plex on the fiberglass.

Thanks---I really think this is a great idea. For me, it's not so much a heat issue (I drove the car a lot in Texas before moving to San Diego), as it is that I simply like the open-air feeling. It also helps with visibility. I also think I might drive my car more than most people, so perhaps I notice these things a bit more.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I installed helicopter vents in both windows several years ago and they move a lot of air through the cabin. Of course, that has limited benefit depending where you live once the heat and humidity build in the Summer months. But they are MUCH more effective than the square window vents.

Frank I’m assuming you have those wind deflectors on your GT. Could you share where you purchased them? I really like them for my GT. Thanks

I installed helicopter vents in both windows several years ago and they move a lot of air through the cabin. Of course, that has limited benefit depending where you live once the heat and humidity build in the Summer months. But they are MUCH more effective than the square window vents.
Yeah, I have the helicopter vents, too, and they are terrific. The main benefit in taking off the flip out windows was to increase visibility a bit and to sort of open up a connection with the outside.

/s/ Chris

Hi FR&ank

Id this not Martin s car ?
Long time ago

Any chance to buy homemades ?

Grtz and happy new year to you and Barbara !
Best regards
Fred

Hi Fred, I expect I can squeeze one out for you. You will enjoy Spa with that set up, I know I did.

Attachments

• DCP00559.JPG
    DCP00559.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 369
I followed what another member did a while back when I had my spf. I removed the drywall screws and then used rivets in the same hole. I then used nylon screws to minimize cracking. Allowed easier and repeatable window removal

Back