Draining Coolant

I own SPF GT40 P/2171, Roush 427SR.
I am uncertain how to drain the coolant from the vehicle.
I see what appears to be a drain plug on the radiator (lower passenger side), but it's on the inside of the front clip.
If that is the drain plug, how does on go about draining the coolant from a plug that is 'inside' the vehicle.

Thanks. (I'm still a rookie, even on a basic issue like this.)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Don't laugh but I use a shop vac to remove all the coolent then dump it into a container for using again, just make sure your vacuum is clean. Disconnect the radiator hose from the top of the radiator and stick the vac on the hose.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Don't laugh but I use a shop vac to remove all the coolent then dump it into a container for using again, just make sure your vacuum is clean. Disconnect the radiator hose from the top of the radiator and stick the vac on the hose.

I'm not laughing I'm just impressed. That never occurred to me.

FWIW I Tee'd a short piece of hose into the heater hose up front, and plugged it. To drain I then pull the hose out so it's hanging out next to the left front wheel, put a pan under it, jack the rear of the car up, and remove the plug. However, that still doesn't get all the coolant so next time I'll use Jack's method.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Any other bright ideas from you geniuses? I'll probably adapt a tee and hose like Alan during my first flush but since it's already full of water I would like a solution that doesn't get the front chassis area full of dirty used coolant.

Does Jack's shop vac method really get all the water out of the system? I usually over think things and let the simple ideas slip by but I'm not sure how a shop vac will actually pull water through the whole system including the bottom of the radiator? IOW, even if you were to disconnect the hose leading to the top of the radiator all together, at it's lowest point, I'm not sure the whole system would drain. The opposite side, hose connected to the lower side of the radiator, seems more likely to succeed at draining the whole system, no? But this would only make a mess of everything.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Does Jack's shop vac method really get all the water out of the system? .

A good shop vac will remove 99% of the fluid in the block, radiator and plumbing. Just remove one line at the top of the radiator and hook the vac to the rubber hose. Remember to open your heater valve.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Ok Jack, I'm trying it today and I'll report back. Sounds way too simple for something on these cars!!

A good shop vac will remove 99% of the fluid in the block, radiator and plumbing. Just remove one line at the top of the radiator and hook the vac to the rubber hose. Remember to open your heater valve.

At the risk of asking the obvious, you will need to have the radiator cap removed or else you would just create a vacuum (and risk damaging the system) with no flow, right?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
At the risk of asking the obvious, you will need to have the radiator cap removed or else you would just create a vacuum (and risk damaging the system) with no flow, right?

No, remember when you disconnect the top hose to the radiator and connect to the rubber hose the end it connected to (radiator connection) is open to atmosphere. You will need to leave all caps on and the radiator cap will flutter due to the spring and vacuum.

Panteras have the same problem. Open the radiator drain petcock and fluid drools all over the chassis and winds up everywhere except in your drain pan. Here is a great solution:

Pantera radiator drain

Get a replacement petcock with a hose barb and fit a short length of hose. The hose can lie there out of the way until needed. Then pull it out and place it over your drain pan, open the petcock and the fluid drains out neatly.

Of course you will first have to make a big mess draining the existing fluid to change the petcock. Would it be worth the effort to remove the front clip instead?

Jack--I understand now. I forgot that when you disconnect the top hose and plug a vacuum into the radiator, the system is open from the disconnected hose. Duh!

Summit sells a nice little item that helps greatly. It's a short aluminum 1 1/2 " piece with rolled beads on either end and it has a drain petcock in the middle of the 4" body section. I'll post a pic when I get one.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Jack's shop vac worked flawless. I got about 3 gallons back in so I figure the vac got most if not all. I still managed to turn what should be 60 minute procedure into a 6 hour project but that's another story. It's a simple process and nearly dropless. Thanks Jack.

Back