DRB no.72

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Just dropped No 72 off at GT40 Australia to have it finished,having done over 5000kms in the tropical Queensland sunshine to "weather" the fibreglass,there should be no surprises come through the paint.

Surprisingly I have resisted temptation and stuck to my original plan of red (Hyundai Hip-Hop red) with black sill stripes and a full frontal blackouts around the lights and vents.

Realistically it should be back home by Feb next year.

Hi Hoppy,

I've enjoyed reading your thread. Now that you've got some km on the odometer, is it driving as you anticipated? Is the clutch booster working reliably, and so on?

Dalton

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Dalton,

The car just seemed to get better everytime I drove it and will miss it for the next couple of months.

The clutch booster is perfect except for the occasional pedal sticking on start up if it has been sitting for awhile,but two pumps and it is good to go.

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Just got back from GT40 Australia workshop and Gary has been busy fabricating the console and door trims as well as the turkey pan.
He will now start to manufacture the interior components out of fibreglass and the turkey pan will be CNC machined from alloy before ceramic coating.
I have gone with EFI hardware`s 8 throttle body injection as the fuel rails run down the centre which not only helps give the injection a psuedo webber look but apparantly give better throttle response and crisper idle because the injectors spray straight with the airflow.
I have had installed "water bottle holders" inside the doors,not to be confused with "cup holders" for the "latte" set.

Later

Attachments

• 236_nov09.JPG
    236_nov09.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 468
  • 237_nov09.JPG
    237_nov09.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 503
  • 239_Dec09.JPG
    239_Dec09.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 484
  • 238_Dec09.JPG
    238_Dec09.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 481
  • 240_Dec09.JPG
    240_Dec09.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 516

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
After the extended Christmas break that most industry here seems to take the "turkey pan" has arrived from the machine shop.
Now the "stocker" can be removed and the "stroker" internals fitted to the existing block.
The block (engine number) is the only piece of the engine that will be going back into the car.

Attachments

• 241_Jan10.jpg
    241_Jan10.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 405
  • 242_Jan10.jpg
    242_Jan10.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 243_Jan10.jpg
    243_Jan10.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 358
  • 244_Jan10.jpg
    244_Jan10.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 378

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Well No 72 is off to the body shop tomorrow for prep and then to the painters.

Glad to be in the final turn,should be completed by April and am looking forward to having it back.

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
FINALLY the body shop has finished(only 100% over deadline and 60% over budget),car is now at the painters.
I am well and truly over predicting or believing a finish date or cost estimate on this.
Hopefully it will be home before I have to pay the registration in March,but not all that confident.
Did get the mesh and fuel cap mounts back from the powdercoaters and the ceramic coating of the exhaust etc has been done but have not sighted them yet.

Attachments

• 245_May10.jpg
    245_May10.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 246_May10.jpg
    246_May10.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 328

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
The car is back from the painters,the engine is back from Superformance and I am overseas with work (of course).I am looking forward to seeing it upon my return.

Colour is Hyundai Hip Hop Red with black powdercoated mesh panels.

Attachments

• no72_1.jpg
    no72_1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 310
  • no72_2.jpg
    no72_2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 366
  • no72_3.jpg
    no72_3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 292
  • no72_4.jpg
    no72_4.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 350
  • no72_5.jpg
    no72_5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 342

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Hoppy,
Ever jumped outta planes? In the pilbara?
Cos if you did I jumped out with ya!
That would be spun out.
Cheers, Gus.

Hi Gus,

I have been involved in aircraft maintenance for over thirty years and have worked in many remote locations including the Pilbara region but have never had any wish to jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft.

Cheers

Hoppy,
I've just been up to Surfers for a brief holiday, and dropped in for a chat at GT40 Australia, where I noticed your car. It is looking stunning. The red is a good rich red, and to me looks good without a stripe down the middle; really emphasizes the low, flat shape of the beast. The black mesh behind the radiator has been beautifully fitted, and looks better (again, to me) than mesh in the outlets flush with the front cover. The blacked out light wells suit it too. You have made good choices, and will love it.

Hoppy,
I used to do a few jumps out of Wickham in the early to mid 90's, good fun.
Need to whack a few more pounds into the rear tyres, see if you can get them to fill the guards...
Seriously though, the car is looking good!!

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Hoppy,
I've just been up to Surfers for a brief holiday, and dropped in for a chat at GT40 Australia, where I noticed your car. It is looking stunning. The red is a good rich red, and to me looks good without a stripe down the middle; really emphasizes the low, flat shape of the beast. The black mesh behind the radiator has been beautifully fitted, and looks better (again, to me) than mesh in the outlets flush with the front cover. The blacked out light wells suit it too. You have made good choices, and will love it.

Thanks Dalton,

The car was always going to be red and I wanted a mass produced shade for ease of colour matching,just wasn't sure what red but think I made a good choice.The lack of a centre stripe and full blackout treatment give it a very aggressive look which is what I was after.

Gus,

Thanks,as much as the painter was confident that there would be no overspray on my wheels I felt more comfortable with my wheels in one place and the painting happening an another.Hopefully the wheels will be fitted to fill out the wide body guards when I get back.

Later

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Hoppy

Just read what you said about jumping out of a good serviceable aeroplane.

I have just one question for you.

Why were parachutes invented???????

Because good and serviceable aircraft fall out of the sky.

I am a skydiving instructor and have been skydiving since 1991 with no incidents (touch wood).

Dimi

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Hoppy

Just read what you said about jumping out of a good serviceable aeroplane.

I have just one question for you.

Why were parachutes invented???????

Because good and serviceable aircraft fall out of the sky.

I am a skydiving instructor and have been skydiving since 1991 with no incidents (touch wood).

Dimi

Hi Dimi,

If an aircraft is falling out of the sky it is neither GOOD nor SERVICEABLE,unless it is pilot induced and recoverable.

Having had a few close calls I can honestly say that as long as it was not on fire or breaking up in mid air,I would ride it out and hope for the best.

I respect parachutists but its not for me.

Later

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Back in country,so I went down to GT40 Australia today and I believe there is a light at the end of this very long tunnel.

Very happy with the colour and the blackouts give it the aggressive look that I was after.Sill stripes are yet to be fitted.

The engine is in and the eight throttle body injection is slowly coming together.

MAYBE four to five weeks left until it is back in my garage and then I will be driving the door handles off it.

Later

Attachments

• 247_Jul10.JPG
    247_Jul10.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 361
  • 248_Jul10.JPG
    248_Jul10.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 321
  • 249_Jul10.JPG
    249_Jul10.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 347
  • 251_Jul10.JPG