DRB no.72

Hoppy

Congrats & Well Done
I like the plates.
You should fly over & christen her on the Club run to Mulgowie for Lunch this Sunday.
Also a belated Happy Birthday.
Kevin

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Bill,Peter and Kevin,

Thanks,it was such a relief to get it past Queensland Transport.

Since QT originally said I had to start the registration process before Jan 2008,and now have renegged,we had to accelerate the build beyond my projected budget so I now plan on parking it for six months so as to restock my bank account before getting it painted and upholstered.

Kevin,two years ago when I bought the plates I thought they would help finish off the car nicely but since fitting them I have had to explain to people who are not GT40 wise that 69 has nothing to do with anything sexual (thinking mid life crisis I suspect) but it is a wide bodied Mk1 as per the Gulf cars of the 1969 season.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hoppy - the number plate issue is a cracker (no pun intended) - you'll have fun explaining it to all manner of nice young girls every time you stop !

What's this about "parking" it for 6 months & wasting all those QT fees ? Get yourself back asap & drive it like you stole it !! Stone chips, scrapes under the front clip - who cares - its just GelCoat at this stage !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
C'mon Hoppy

You can't possibly let the 40 just sit without using it.
Mine is still only on temp rego permit and I have already put nearly 700Km on the speedo.

The only expenses you will have now is for petrol till you can get the rest of it done.

Enjoy it now you can legally.

Dimi

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Gentlemen,

To put the "parking" comment into perspective.

I work in Afghanistan and am back in Oz for one week every Feb,Jun and Oct,so my plan is that once PR has delivered it to my house it will sit until I come home in June and October when I will drive it every morning(before the beer bell goes off).

It is not like I will be walking past it everyday and this will allow me to refill my bank account.

Then when I leave in October(after Bathurst) the car will go back to PR for finishing,which means that when I return to Oz in Feb next year it will be finished and I will have no reason to keep working here (5 years is long enough in a war zone for anybody).

I plan on having some stone chips as well as some kilometres on the clock before it goes for paint.

Thanks

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations mate, a huge milestone completed. Once you get back we will definitely have that beer we have been promising each other.

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
PR has just had the car dyno`d and considering it is a stocker bought from a wreck and fitted to get it past registration,it posted a healthy 208 RWHP.
The 347 will be built whilst it is at the painters.
PR will have it in my driveway Tuesday when I get home.
Can`t think of the last time I was this excited about a plane trip,must be what will be waiting for me at home.

Attachments

• GT40_on_Dyno_260508_006.jpg
    GT40_on_Dyno_260508_006.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 486
Hoppy,
Congrats!! I know how you feel. Mine is just week(s) away, and I am as antsy as can be. I plan on dynoing mine as well. I know you are really looking forward to the experience.

Bill

Looking fantastic, Hoppy! You'll have to come over for a BBQ and show it off once you're back...

(Yes, I've been lurking here watching this project for years!)

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
"Oh what a feeling"

No 72 parked in my garage(even if it is not painted and upholstered).

Now to put some numbers on the odometer.

Attachments

• DSC00412.JPG
    DSC00412.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 446

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Hoppy.

I know exactly how you feel.
Before mine was fully registered I was driving it on a temporary unregistered vehicle permit and from the time that was issued till final rego I managed to clock up 1200 Km's.
Took it out at every opportunity to get the feel and also to iron out any of the inevitable bugs that show up.

Dimi

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
Well after clocking up 800k's whilst at home I dropped No 72 back to PR to get a few minor bugs fixed and had him replace the "noise test" exhaust with the supertraps by the final product and had the brake ducting kit fitted.
Really want to hear the new exhaust as the other one collapsed a cat just after delivery so had a "flutter" to listen to instead of the normal exhaust note that one associates with a GT40.

Attachments

• 235_jul08.jpg
    235_jul08.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 425
  • 234_jul08.jpg
    234_jul08.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 466
  • 233_jul08.jpg
    233_jul08.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 474
Back