ENGINE SOURCES

What are good sources for engines (302-351W) with mild modifications. Ford crate engines are economical but have a high falure rate. I know Jasper (the ransmission people) are now building engines. Also a lot of private builders (Southern Automotive et al). Who has the best price/value. cb

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Having priced engines from various sources, I would not get a Ford crate motor. For about the same amount, (when you take off all the useless stuff Ford sticks on their crate engines to get rid of parts lying around, and replace it with the bits that will fit YOUR car) you can get a real motor handbuilt by someone who knows what they're doing- Gordon or JC Performance. Considering how much of a vehicle's personality resides in the engine, a motor built by a person rather than an assembly-line piece is the way to go. And, they will help you get it fit to your car and going.
smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Defintely get a built motor from one of the good shops, or at the very least get the short block and do theeasy stuff yourself. I wouldn't go Jasper for me performance engine needs - might be okay for some of the low-buck Cobra builds or for cruising but if you're going to do a 40 make it right with the engine as well.

Coast Performance in CA seems good, Gordon's motors are outstanding, or Panhandle has also been highly recommended. I used Coast, but it was before I'd learned much about Gordon and some of his motors. If I went again I'd give Gordon a call.

Ron

G

We are currently building motors for both Cobras and GT-40s. Hope to have a new CAV soon to look at. We specialize in small block Fords and can build to your pleasure. Visit us at www.jcperformance.com ,Thanks

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: jcperformance ]

Back