ERA gt

DSG,

I don't, my friend does, the car is well made and is pretty close to original in almost in every way. He's running a Boss 302 (older) and has had the car for several years. I have couple of pictures from a couple of weeks ago. The car is dirty but that's the worst I can say about it.

I couldn't get far enough away from the car but the pictures are of the fire wall, engine and interior (my interests at the time). The chassis is much the same as original, the body and running gear is pretty much straight up and well done throughout. The internal paneling on the back clip is also well done. If you bought one I am certain you would be proud to own it. ERA has done a fine job and pride themselves in their craftsmanship.

Cheers,
Howard

Attachments

• ERA GT40 001.jpg
    ERA GT40 001.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 655
  • ERA GT40 004.jpg
    ERA GT40 004.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 634
  • PJ Numbers 002.jpg
    PJ Numbers 002.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 583
  • PJ Numbers 003.jpg
    PJ Numbers 003.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 533

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
ERA makes a very accurate replica, very well respected. If you order one, expect to wait a LONG time for delivery, but almost every piece on the car will have been pre-installed, so there won't be any "Geez, I wonder where (not to mention how) this fits?" as you open boxes. Very complete kits.......

Howard, does your friend post on this forum???? I've been scheming about fitting a "small port Boss 302" into a 40 replica for some time, but haven't seen anyone do so. There are a few on the forum with Yates headed Windsors, one I know of with a Cleveland, but not Boss 302's. I'd like to ask him some questions regarding the build.....

Thanks!

Doug

here is a couple ERA's at Lime Rock.
quite nice

Attachments

• lime rock 008.jpg
    lime rock 008.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 491
  • lime rock 010.jpg
    lime rock 010.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 500
I do rate the Era GT's they are very nice... but as said looooooonnng waiting list... about 2 years i think.

YerDugliness,

Not wanting to rob DSG of his track, but no my friend doesn't and he's not much of a wrench turner. When I see him next week I will ask him who did the assembly. It was done quite some time ago and I believe he bought it loaded in the bay. You can see it in the fotos.

I knew him about a year before I found out he had an ERA40. :stunned: Every time I see him he is in a Cobra replica (or a Miata!), DOH!

It looks like a lot of folks are happy with ERAs. They were referred to in literature back in the 1990s as well made cars.

Howard

I spoke to Peter of ERA at Carlisle. The wait is 2 years which is shorter than it used to be. I think it was closer to 4 yrs previously.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Looks like Windsor, not Cleveland type heads on that motor. The "cropped corner" valve covers are the give away. Still, a Boss style four bolt main block with any of the current aluminum Windsor heads will make a real kick arse engine that will provide all the thrills one requires...........................

Expensive, High quality, Accurate, great people to deal with, well worth the wait,I'm happy

LLoyd

Attachments

• gt40.jpg
    gt40.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 555
Johan
are you talking re-sell or purchase price
Purchase price is such a variable. You can go to their website and price the car. It really depends how much you can do. Motor,zf, body/paint work are 3 big majors. This is not a cheap car to build. I have about $120k into mine.

Lloyd

Last edited:
Chuck, that is my neighbor. I use his underhouse 10 car garage as overflow parking, or at least I did until his house went for sale. Now I have to either sell some cars or keep them in the yard under a tarp...Considering getting rid of the GT40 which I drove once last year (drove it 4 hours to a race, drove it in the race, drove it to dinner, drove it home !), or the Heritage T70 Spyder which is now up and running with a new Donovan aluminum SBC and fresh Hewland.

Darkside the superformance should be less expensive especially if you buy a turnkey from ERA. The SF is pretty complete. What gets expensive on the ERA is the options. Once you get past the initial kit price the options add up quick. The Wheels, ZF, motor, paint/body work can easily add 40k to the price. You can go to the ERA site and price the parts. If you want a turnkey you'll have to talk to Pete. A really personable guy. Keep in mind how fast to you want to go. Really fast = expensive. The best way to decide is your skill level and how much you want to assemble. Next is see the cars side by side they are different. One of the leading factors with my self is i live 20 minutes from ERA. When ever i had any issues i could go there first hand and talk to Ted the builder or Bob P the designer.

LLoyd

Lloyd,

You say that ERA and SPF are different side by side. Can you tell us what the differences are? Seems that you already have travelled that way...

To respond to a question raised earlier in this thread, my first ERAGT was powered by a Boss 302/Cleveland head motor. I was able to locate a Weber intake and the setup required different headers, of course. Modifications were also required to mount the alternator and AC compressor. Other than those rather manor changes everything went to gether as any Windsor motor car would.

My current ERAGT has Gurney Eagle heads on a Dart block.

Jim

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for that info, Jim. I suspected the front dress issues would be difficult to solve. In my case, the Webers would not be required, eliminating one difficult to source item--I want to use a "Track Boss" Clevor manifold and aftermarket Cleveland 351-C 2-V heads to retain more low RPM streetability than the large ports and valves on the Boss heads offer, and combine that with the MasFlo EFI product. MasFlo has already assured me that they can drill and tap my manifold so that their product will work with it.

The header issue is the biggest barrier, I suspect.

Might I ask about the front dress issues? How did you solve the dilema, did you find aftermarket parts or were you able to fab up brackets for yourself? The fabrication part of building a 40 is what has me somewhat reluctant, I have so little experience at that.

Doug

Back