Eric's SLC Project Code Name "Grifter"

Really love it when someone who has never built a car and doesn't own one becomes an expert.
To sell a car, you need a buyer. The buyer doesn't need to appreciate quite how much work and money has gone into a car, just how much they're willing to pay. Buyers don't need to have built anything to buy one. Anyone is entitled to an opinion, but it's only really relevant if they have money and are looking to buy.

As before, it's only what buyers are willing to pay (and, to a lesser extent, sellers accept) that matters. How much a car cost in parts and / or labour isn't directly linked to how the market decides its worth. Nobody is entitled to a particular price. What someone thinks a car 'should' be worth only matters if they're a buyer.

These cars have obviously been labours of love, and look beautiful. Hopefully they will go to appreciative homes. GLWS

Anybody who has taken the time to develop a skillset loves to apply it to his own labor of love. Sadly, the market just never seems to appreciate the love that goes into the labor. Everybody on this forum will pursue his own best deal....its just fact...human nature. Accept it as fact and move on to the next labor. After all, it is the process that is most enjoyable, not necessarily the money that comes from it. If you make it all business, you will sour the most important part.

My car is #17. At the time I purchased and through most of the build, there was no "build manual or SLC Builders wiki. There was a lot of trial and error and learning from mistakes of others via this forum, my own mistakes and many phone calls to Fran and other builders. So clearly my car could have been built faster now. But todays builders are benefiting from the early builds. I made fiberglass changes, fabricated parts and learned. If selling my car now were a business I would file for bankruptcy. I don't think recouping parts cost is greedy, I paid less for parts when I could. I still think for anyone to judge what I can sell my car for, they need to have been a part of a build process themselves. I'm asking what I deem to be a very fair price and the buyer will get the benefit of many hours of work and sleepless nights.

Another smart way is trading power. Take a trade for a car with known value that can't be argued, and then sell it. I did that with one car a year ago. Was able to recoup $10,000 over my out of pocket cost and paid the loan balance off (on a $50k car). Cleaned his up and made it pretty, and came up a couple thousand more. So I made about $12 an hour in my spare time to build it. Not much, but it is more than the couch is paying nowadays, Lol.
I think this car has alot of trading power, just need to trade for something known and unarguable value. That is if you are looking to come out ahead on it.

The rapier SL-C sold for what was it 85K when asking 150K NEW. NOT ONE SOLD!!!! The red one is a poster on here and the price is well known. NOW he had to go and FIX (FRAN had both cars for a while to fix all of rapiers mess ups.) than there was the one that sold for under 100K on ebay to name a few.

Now AL just to show you how uninformed you are I have posted MY BUILD OF MY E46 M3 and have posted pics of the car (cage, and all and even brought some members from the BMW forums on here and are actually looking into the APEX) not to mention the sponsors I had when building and campaigning it. I'm currently building a 1979 Fiat 131 SUPER 2 door with wide body to make it an ABARTH clone but ya you got me I have no clue what the hell I'm talking about. Sorry I'm just able to walk and chew gum at the same time and know that some on here are well.... fool of sh.. and what was that saying about a fool and his $.

Having said all of that lets not jack this thread. Good luck on the sale of what is a reasonably priced SL-C that should sell quickly. If not than again the market has spoken about the true worth of the car on the second hand market regardless of what current owners THINK it's worth.

Here is a basic economics question for you all ... What moron pays FULL RATAIL FOR A USED CAR? All in with EVERY option the SL-C still has trouble getting over 60K (minus drive-train) add 20K or even 30K on that and your still under 100K. Factor in some clown paying 30K for someone else to build it and you just pass 120K-130K for a BRAND NEW SL-C NOT USED BUT BRAND FREAKING NEW!!!! Oh and 10K on paint my ass! There isn't that much work to paint one of these. YES there is prep work BUT not like painting an OEM car a different color with all the door jams etc. or little nooks and crannies. Like I said some on here just LOVE TO EMBELLISH!!! Funny how I get messages (when this topic came up last time) about how I'm right but no one wants to ruffle any feathers. Oh and that Black and blue show SL-C care to put out there just how much you spent on that car? By far one of the most tarted up versions around (not a bad thing BUT it goes to prove my point as at the time it was done for the show circuit)? Again YOU DON'T GET BACK EVERY PENNY YOU INVEST ONCE SOLD SECOND HAND!!!! Lets get that through your heads already.

So now that we have (YOU take the time to read threw the old threads where I have shown PROOF OF BUILDS or if not I'd be happy to post pics to SHUT SOME OF YOU UNINFORMED UP! Just because reality doesn't side with some ridiculous claims on here doesn't make me wrong neither does my build experience (oh yea remember that sponsor bit I stated so um I know just how much anyone who doesn't have their heads up their ass really pays outside of the purchase of said kit). Again I don't CURRENTLY have a dog in this fight however I do plan to build an SL-C once done with what I have going on (and again I posted this in other threads) so this is very relevant to me as I'm one of those that wouldn't mind buying a partially built one to start off BUT why pay new prices for a used part?

Last edited:
If you are referring to the black one I bought, that hit the "show circuit", you havn't been following my build thread.
It was advertised as "needing fuel system and throttle cable, thats it". I couldn't go look at car so took sellers word. Well, it is missing 30% of what would come in a new kit, broken windshield, core mock up motor (not built and running like was posted on forums), not one single wire, parts missing from the digidash which I had to buy a new one, parts missing from the hvac system, paint overspray in all jambs and still waiting to receive thousands of dollars in parts that I am sure I will never see, but was part of a signed sales agreement. The shear time spent in trying to locate parts you didn't know where missing is 50% of where my time goes building it. So, the car I got was worth exactly what i paid. Not the "show car" the seller advertised it here as. I would of been ahead buying a new kit from Fran when you figure in labor hours to correct things and research time.

The $175k price is abit high I admit. And $85k for a straight track build or nothing fancy build isn't far off either, but, There is many builds on here that do deserve a $120-140k price tag. It will cost you out of pocket in parts plus kit about $90k to get there though. Then 1000-1300 hours to get there in a properly finished, reliable street car with all of the amenities. So yes, you will be eating lots of labor, but not all of it.
I have doubled my investments many times with cars I have built. Just need to find the right buyer and advertise correctly. Oh ya, and have something nobody else has so you can control market. My builds are usually top notch though and command more.
Being sponsored shows nothing about your experience. It just shows you don't want to pay retail for parts and trade that for being told what shows or events you need to hit. Building a car like this is nothing like starting with a stock car and adding parts to it.

If you are referring to the black one I bought, that hit the "show circuit", you havn't been following my build thread.
It was advertised as "needing fuel system and throttle cable, thats it". I couldn't go look at car so took sellers word. Well, it is missing 30% of what would come in a new kit, broken windshield, core mock up motor (not built and running like was posted on forums), not one single wire, parts missing from the digidash which I had to buy a new one, parts missing from the hvac system, paint overspray in all jambs and still waiting to receive thousands of dollars in parts that I am sure I will never see, but was part of a signed sales agreement. The shear time spent in trying to locate parts you didn't know where missing is 50% of where my time goes building it. So, the car I got was worth exactly what i paid. Not the "show car" the seller advertised it here as. I would of been ahead buying a new kit from Fran when you figure in labor hours to correct things and research time.

The $175k price is abit high I admit. And $85k for a straight track build or nothing fancy build isn't far off either, but, There is many builds on here that do deserve a $120-140k price tag. It will cost you out of pocket in parts plus kit about $90k to get there though. Then 1000-1300 hours to get there in a properly finished, reliable street car with all of the amenities. So yes, you will be eating lots of labor, but not all of it.
I have doubled my investments many times with cars I have built. Just need to find the right buyer and advertise correctly. Oh ya, and have something nobody else has so you can control market. My builds are usually top notch though and command more.
Being sponsored shows nothing about your experience. It just shows you don't want to pay retail for parts and trade that for being told what shows or events you need to hit. Building a car like this is nothing like starting with a stock car and adding parts to it.

Scott, It's like talking to a 14 year old that thinks he's far brighter than you will ever be, except this one will never learn. Waste of time.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
"Used car prices:"........a few weeks ago, in Monterey, there were a lot of nice used cars sold.....for over $400 Million dollars! As an example, a Ferrari Enzo sold for over Six Million!....Every car is worth what someone will pay for it!

I think $85k is a fair price for what I have built and others have chimed in saying that it's more than reasonable. So i'm content with that figure.

And FWIW, since my build has been pretty well documented and publicized, it would be pretty hard for me to misrepresent the car in any fashion. Not that you were suggesting that, but wanted to at least say that out loud. :)

~Eric

And FWIW, since my build has been pretty well documented and publicized, it would be pretty hard for me to misrepresent the car in any fashion. Not that you were suggesting that, but wanted to at least say that out loud. :)
It's also great to have video of the car competing - it gives a glimpse of its capabilities, and shows that nothing fell off :)

It's also great to have video of the car competing - it gives a glimpse of its capabilities, and shows that nothing fell off :)

Well, I did pay for a professional "race prep" that took 2 FULL days of nutting, bolting, curb weighting, aligning and triple checking all my work which cost me a whooping $1,500.

Frankly, it was worth every dime to know the car wouldn't come apart at 150mph. Which, I can happily say it didnt! :) :laugh:

EDIT: Roger, I do have more video from Road America, my laptop crashed without warning. All of my video from there was on it, so once i get it back, I'll post that up too. Had a blast going back and forth with a CRAZY modified camaro. Wasn't my fastest laps, but it certainly was the most fun.

I think $85k is a fair price for what I have built and others have chimed in saying that it's more than reasonable. So i'm content with that figure.

~Eric

Ya, thats why it is always good to do build threads. Potential buyers can see literally every part that went into build. I have even presold cars due to build threads months before they were finished!

Man... And I thought PTSD was a bitch. He's a very very angry little boy.

On subject, I think $85k for this car is a great deal!

Here's a photo that I just found of it at RA.

Really love how you can see the aero pushing the car down hard at speed. I think I might be doing 130ish at that point. Love how little gap there is between the fenders and tires. It's working hard!

lrg-2192-20983888539_25c3efe1a3_o.jpg

Back