F1 2007

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I read this on another forum, but have no idea of what "the wind tunnel incident" refers to.:confused: Can someone enlighten me please?

"I really believe that Ferrari does not really have a case against McLaren but is using every trick it can think of to try to disrupt the team," The real story is that Ferrari lost a bunch of points because of its appalling failure to properly maintain its windtunnel and is trying to get back into contention using this case: either to take points away from McLaren or to distract the team. When all is said and done, if Ferrari lose the World Championship the windtunnel incident will be what was responsible - and that will not reflect well on the Ferrari management."

Keith

I believe Ferrari's wind tunnel "broke down" for a couple of weeks during the away races at a critical time "gifting" McLaren with wins and delaying Ferrari development.

It does seem to indicate the furious pace with which these cars are evolved during a season and probably explains where a lot of the budget is spent.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Tuesday, July 31st 2007, 16:34 GMT

Ferrari have welcomed the FIA's decision to submit the spy saga to the International Court of Appeal.
FIA president Max Mosley agreed in a letter to the head of the Italian Automobile Club's that the matter should go to the Appeal Court in order to allow Ferrari to present their case after McLaren were found guilty of being in possession of confidential documents.
The British team, however, were not penalised as the WMSC found there was no evidence that the data had been used to McLaren's benefit.
"Ferrari finds the decision of the FIA President to be sensible," a Ferrari spokesman said after the FIA published Mosley's letter.
"The FIA has correctly found that Ferrari, as interested party, must enjoy all the rights of a party in a trial, which is what didn't happen in the WMSC hearing."
An FIA spokesman said the hearing was likely to be in Paris at the end of August.
space.gif

Well then,
Alonso acting on team orders in the pits eh, Ferrari team orders?
Does Alonso think there will be no payback from his pit lane stunt?
Just gone down in my estimation.

Alonso was held back by the team?
The lollipop was up and there was no other restriction.
Yeah, right.
Ron won't let that one pass.

Tony Hunt

Love it or hate it, you have to hand it to Alonso. It seems that he is able to think very quickly on his feet. Hamilton missed out by 1 second only. Scoundrel or tactical genius?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
From the press conference after qualifying.

Q: Can we just be absolutely certain about the instructions you were given by the team to wait. Because of course it cost Lewis another lap.
FA: Yes. First and second stop normally we have someone timing the gaps and we use the pit stops to time our gap onto the track and that’s all. The first time they told me to go but I had the blanket in the tyres, so we lost a little bit there. The second time we didn’t lose anything.

Q: Lewis, let’s just say you must have been very frustrated.
LH: No, not really. I knew I had the pace, so I’m fairly confident.

Q: Second on the grid, is that a great disadvantage here?
LH: I don’t think so. There is a long haul down to the first corner and you see the starts are quite good for us at the moment, so we should be in a good position.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Ahhhhh.....I love the smell of justice.

This whole thing will round out quite nicely if Alonzo is taken out in the first turn because of his grid position.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Dennis says Hamilton triggered delay

Saturday, 04, August, 2007, 19:56
spacer.gif
McLaren boss Ron Dennis says the controversial pit lane incident involving his two drivers during qualifying for the Hungarian Grand Prix was triggered by Lewis Hamilton failing to heed instructions earlier in the session.
Fernando Alonso beat Hamilton to pole position after the British rookie was forced to queue behind him in the pits and then ran out of time to post his final flying lap.
Alonso held station in the pits for around 10 seconds after his mechanic had removed the ‘lollipop’ – the traditional signal for a driver to leave his stall – leaving Hamilton to sit helplessly while the seconds ticking away.
That prompted widespread suggestions that Alonso had deliberately held up his team-mate in order to deny him pole.
But Dennis insists Alonso was simply following a countdown from his engineer and did nothing wrong.
“Fernando was being counted down by his engineer,” Dennis told reporters at the Hungaroring.
“He’s under the control of his engineer. He determined when he goes. That’s the sequence.
“And if you think that was a deliberate thing, then you can think what you want. I have given you exactly what happened.”
Dennis said it was Hamilton’s failure to stick to the agreed procedure during the fuel-burning phase of Q3 that was the catalyst for the delay.
“We have various procedures within the team and prior to practice we determine how it is going to be run, what our strategy is, and how that’s going to be enacted on the circuit,” he said.
“They were out of sequence because Lewis should have slowed and let Fernando past,” he said.
“And he didn’t. He charged off. That’s how we got out of sequence.”
Dennis explained that the plan was for Alonso to complete an extra fuel-burning lap and that Hamilton had been told to let him past to facilitate this.
“In this instance, it was Fernando’s time to get the advantage of the longer fuel burn,” he said.
“The arrangement was that we reverse positions in the first lap.
“That didn’t occur as arranged. That was somewhat disappointing and caused some tensions on the pit wall.
“We were, from that moment on, out of sequence because the cars were in the wrong place on the circuit and that unfolded into the pit stops.
“It complicated the situation and the end result was Lewis not getting his final timed lap.”
Dennis was at pains to stress that McLaren continues to treat both its drivers equally, and that the tensions that arise on such occasions are inevitable when dealing with such competitive individuals.
“Let me make it a very honest answer: it is extremely difficult to deal with two such competitive drivers,” he said.
“There are definite pressures within the team. We make no secret of it.
“They are both very competitive, and they both want to win, and we are trying our very hardest to balance those pressures.
“Today we were part of a process where it didn’t work, and the end result is more pressure on the team.
“But what you hear is the exact truth of what happened, and we will manage it inside the team through the balance of the season.
“Obviously Lewis feels more uncomfortable with the situation than Fernando.
“That’s life, that’s the way it is, and if he feels too hot to talk about it then that’s the way it is.
“But what I’ve done is give you an exact understanding of what took place today

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
IMHO, it is a poor decision to demote Alonso and not allow McLaren constructor points.
Mclaren should be able to manage their team as they see fit, no other driver or team was disadvantaged by FA being held in his pit. RD has stated that LH did not follow team orders and got out of sequence. In other words LH bought his own problem.
Not only that, the stewards have spoiled the fun we would have watching FA and LH barreling into turn 1 both with steam coming out their ears. :eek:

As far as constructor points are concerned Shumacher blocked the entire field at Monaco and Ferrari did not lose constructor points. The stewards should give themselves an uppercut.:mad:

Definately unfair. If thats how they play it in the team then they should be allowed to.
Lewis drove well though and deserved to win.

Can anyone see that twinkle in his eye starting to dwindle as he realises how political, tactical and spiteful F1 really is?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES STATEMENT FROM THE HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX - 5th August 2007

The process of managing two such exceptional talents as Fernando and Lewis is made more challenging by having a race winning car.

Every effort was made yesterday by the team to maintain our policy of equality; however in the heat of the battle there are occasions when the competitive nature of drivers sees them deviate from the agreed procedures.

During this intense and frenetic period of qualifying, decisions are necessarily made in seconds to enable the drivers and the team to position their cars on the track at the optimal moment.

We agree with the stewards, that when the team decided to hold Fernando for 20 seconds there were four cars on the circuit. However, we do not understand the relevance of this observation as the team needed to estimate where all the remaining cars would be in the final minutes of the session. Similarly the team does not agree with the statement of the stewards that the 20 second hold caused Lewis to be impeded. Tensions were undeniably high and the problem at Fernando’s first stop; the desire to enter a clear track and concerns expressed following the fitting of used tyres undoubtedly contributed to the delay in Fernando’s ultimate departure.

We do not believe that the findings of the stewards and the severe penalty imposed on the team are appropriate, and that our strenuous efforts to maintain the spirit of fair play and equality within the team have been misunderstood.

We are, however, now only hours away from an important race and are focusing all our efforts on achieving the best possible result for the drivers.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
There is a heavy rumour doing the rounds that Sebastien Bourdais has signed with Toro Rosso and will join Sebastien Vettal next year.;)

Back