F1 in 2011

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Good race in Japan, but the Bathurst 1000 (televised just prior to the GP) had me on the edge of my seat. V8 Supercars rock!

Unfortunately Terry the Bathurst race really used to rock when the cars were not NASCAR clones, but cars one could recognise and be able to purchase on the Monday. Following the old adage win on Sunday, sell on Monday.
I don't know if you caught the "Bathurst Masters" race prior to the main event, but if you did then you will know what I'm talking about.

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2010/09/touring-car-masters-the-biggest-category-on-the-mountain/

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Unfortunately Terry the Bathurst race really used to rock when the cars were not NASCAR clones, but cars one could recognise and be able to purchase on the Monday. Following the old adage win on Sunday, sell on Monday.
I don't know if you caught the "Bathurst Masters" race prior to the main event, but if you did then you will know what I'm talking about.

[URL]http://www.motorsportretro.com/2010/09/touring-car-masters-the-biggest-category-on-the-mountain/[/URL]

Funny, I consciously avoided the term NASCAR in my post, but what I wanted to say was NASCAR ought to take a hint from Supercars on how to put on a show. I loved it, and will look for the Masters in the future.

F1 to go to New Jersey in 2013 Fox News reports today. I personally think that this would be great, however, with F1 missing for so many years in the USA, do we think that we really could put on 2 in one year? The other being Austin Texas to open in 2012 season.

I too loved the Austrailian V8 Supercars. Great driving and very riviting.

Malcolm

Supporter
So after the Indian Grand Prix sleeping pill, is Massa under instructions to keep being crashed into by Hamilton so that the mind games Hamilton is clearly losing sleep over keep destabilising Hamilton through to next year so leaving a clearer path for Alonso to go for championship glory? Just a small conspiracy theory...... :)

Hmmm. Interesting thought Malcolm. I can't ever remember seeing a racer, particularly in F1, so visibly and vocally shaken. I think he will bounce back though. Stuff like this can easily strengthen a young person in the end. Could go the other way, though I doubt it. It is great example of the importance of having strong people around to support you when you live an 'exposed' life. The folk no one ever hears about. If the public do hear about them, they are no good to you.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Johny Herbert is adamant Felipe Massa deserved the penalty he got for his clash with Lewis Hamilton in the Indian Grand Prix.

Ferrari driver Massa was given a drive-through penalty for having made contact with Hamilton when the Briton was trying to overtake.

The Brazilian said after the race that he didn't understand why he had been penalised for that.

But Herbert, who acted as a steward in India, said Massa deserved the penalty, as he knew Hamilton was beside him but did not leave the Briton enough room.

"The decision to penalise Felipe Massa for his contact with Lewis Hamilton came down to one simple fact - it could have been avoided," Herbert wrote in his column for The National newspaper.

"I know Massa was upset by our decision, but I believe we made the right call. After looking at it from different camera angles and studying all the data available to us, it was clear that Massa knew where Hamilton was before he chose to turn across him.

"There was nothing Hamilton could have done to avoid it. He did try to get out of the move, but it was too late and the contact was made."

Herbert also said Hamilton was very upfront when he admitted he had made a mistake during practice on Friday, when he was given a three-place penalty for having ignore yellow flags.

"Hamilton was very upfront when he came to see us. He held his hands up and admitted that he had made a mistake," he added.

"Double yellow flags are a serious thing - they indicate danger ahead on track and are a warning for drivers to slow down.

"Neither Hamilton or Sergio Perez did that. Safety is paramount in motorsport and double yellow flags must be respected - there could be marshals on the track dealing with the problem, and their work is dangerous enough without having cars fly past them at top speed."

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Is it correct to assume that the previous race's rule governing a "car's width" must be allowed between the grass (curb) and the car defending the pass (due to a rash of pushes into the grass)?

Yes Terry, I understand that the rule for allowing room is now a standing rule for all of the races. I get a kick out of the Formula 1 drama and the attitudes of the different drivers. I have little patience for whiners and complainers. I like it when a driver will say, hey I screwed up. Good for Hamilton. What these two need is some boxing gloves. Then they can come out friends and it will cost the teams a lot less money in car repair.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
On the Hamilton Massa crash. I believe Hamilton was too fast for the corner and if you watch the footage he went straight at the apex and did not turn.

Rewatch it and see if you agree

Ian

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I don't. It looked like he got on the binders and that caused him lose the front, once he saw Massa coming across this nose.

Lewis deserves some of what he has gotten this year but by far not all. I hope he bounces back as well. In my opinion he is the equal of Vettel in raw talent and the only one out there who is (Alonso is close, and Weber and Button not far behind, but still not the same).

On the V8 Supercars and NASCRAP, I was a huge Nascar fan back in the day when just as Pete says you could look down and see a Charger or a T-bird or a Monte Carlo or a Grand Prix. Now, you can't. It seems teh same thing has happened to Supercars and both series are are the worse for it in my opinion.

Now that we put a fork in this season and have declared it done, I guess it is time for Pete to start the new thread for 2012. It looks that there will be a lot of changes in Torro Rosso, Barichello may be retired now as it looks like no one wants him, and the new changes with Lotus, or is it Renault? Or is it Chaterham? I just can't keep up. I am glad that Webber won at least one race this year. Kind of like his team actually wanted him to.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Still a shame what happened to Kubica. I really liked him. Seemed to be one of the few guys without F1 Primadonnaness.

Back