F1 is boring me to death!!!!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Keith.
Maybe the heavy loading on the long right hand curve plus the other factors. The kerbs prior to the straight are quite violent and the fastest line uses the kerbs.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Slightly different..............

One of the F1 news dogs has said:
The Honda Racing F1 team has set a new F1 speed record and they broke two existing land speed marks at Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, USA this week. Driver Alan van der Merwe piloted a race legal Honda 007 along a seven mile-long salt straight, achieving an aggregate speed of 220.571mph over two runs of a measured mile.
Sounds OK until you start making comparisons with IRL.
Didn't Danica Patrick qualify for Indianapolis quicker in 2005?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
It's just Honda "Dreaming the impossible dream". Again.
Maybe they should forget Bonneville and concentrate their dreams on the F1 team. Woeful would be apt at the moment.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete and Keith,
I just got this info about Webber. You may have got it already:
Webber had an overheating Bridgestone tyre that deflated suddenly, and a subsequent puncture one lap later was as a result of a problem with the car.
Webber retired from the race on advice from the team.
Sorry, I should have paid more attention at the time but it was pack up time as well.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hockenheim

Situated in area C5. Anybody coming here? Phone numbers are +447767450989 or +447799660955.
Bloody hot at 37c but some relief with Cb clouds and possible rain this evening. Same again tomorrow but cooler for the weekend.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Qualifying.

Kimi on pole, then Michael, Felipe, Jenson, Fisi, Rubens and 7th Fernando.
Seems like we could have a motor race on our hands.
Enjoying the heat David?

Mass dampers

Am I getting deja vu or senile dementia? A couple of years back Schumi was struggling mid season and suddenly the FIA decided that the Michelin tyres were too wide (Ferrari were of course on inferior Bridgestones at the time), result the balance changes and Schumi wins championship 6 or 7.

Now again mid season, Ferrari on the back foot points-wise, and the opposition's mass damper system is ruled illegal - well at least challenged enough to frighten Renault not to use it - result Alonso starts to bleed points Schumi's year again me thinks.

Is it right that systems in use as far back as last year can now be deemed illegal?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
DC, Spoken like a true cynic.. I guess Renault were scared into removing it
voluntarily to guard against losing points at a crucial stage of the championship. According to the press reports I have read, the scrutineers could NOT find anything in the rule book forbidding it. But if Bernie doesn't like it????
I also understand that some of the other teams are using a similar type of damper.
Politics, intrigue, conspiracy, I Luv F1.

Mass dampers

Pete, they will be using the system in Budapest and Pat Symonds thinks they know of another cause for the blistering. Maybe we can see a tight finish to the year after all.

Apparently Charlie Whiting declared it illegal but his own stewards (?) appealed against his decision so there is some division of support within the FIA. The case doesn't come up until September.

I just wish they had a static set of rules, and interpretations of those rules, for each season. Sport is totally devalued by constant changing of the goalposts. Mind you, as you imply, it isn't just a sport! That's why casual viewers don't get it, the racing is only part of the interest.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete,
Just having a few days R&R in Austria before heading on to Budapest.
Heat was not really a problem as we have aircon though I doubt we will need it in Hungary. By the way, Mass Dampers are back in.

The headline in the local paper read “Webber to jump ship”. It reported that Mark Webber was “tantalisingly close” to switching to Renault or McLaren, then in almost the same breath reported that neither of those teams are ready to make any decision at all, and that Webber’s currency had diminished as a result of his unreliable car. So what the heck was the article about? Anyone care to comment on whether there is any substance to the story or if it was just a no-story on a quiet news day?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
One unsubstantiated rumour over the weekend in Hockenheim was that Williams will not resign Webber for 2007. However, on Wednesday of last week, his seat was secure at Williams. He may yet follow Montoya's example........or how about A1Gp ?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
It was reported in the Oz press that Webber was very happy with Williams's change to Toyota engines for next year and Williams were keen to re-sign him.

So who knows?

Last edited:

HILLY

Supporter
It is a pity that Webber seems to be punished for the very ordinary cars that Williams consistently keep turning up with. I would be concerned if his superstar team mate was out qualifying him on a regular basis but that is not happening. Webbers effort on Sunday was first class. If only his equipment was equal to the task. Just once or twice would be nice.

Also in the news (Todays Shanghai Daily, via agencies!). Robert Kubica will replace Jacques Villeneuve in the BMW Sauber for the Hungarian GP. This (seemingly) is due to JV not being fully fit after his Hockenhiem accident.
However, no decision has been made as to who will drive the car in the remaining races This season!
As the Hungaroring is notorious for difficult overtaking, maybe some interesting fuelling strategies will be seen to achieve pole and still be in the lead after the first or second stop. I do hope we haven't reverted to Ferrari first and second every race.
Come on Jensen!!!

Well!!!! I think they GP organisers should spray water onto the track before the start of each GP!

What an entertaining first lap, Alonso, Schumacher and Button rocketting through the field.

Dave M's job must now be to inform Renault if the rain will stop or get worse. I imagine he is having a busy time!

Dave Tickle

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa etc.

Hooray!!! Hooray!!! Hooray!!! JENSON WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful, I'll have to go and buy even more beer!

What a great race. I was disappointed when Alonso went out (team error on the wheel nuts???) and Ferrari made a mistake by not changing to drys on Schumachers last pit stop. His tyres looked on the verge of dangerous at the end. It was obvious he couldn't hold the opposion back any longer.

The result I've been waiting for for ages.

Re the championship, and the strange happenings over the weekend I suppose it's fair that neither FS or MS scored.

David Tickle

Best race in a long long time!
Jenson and Honda deserved that result!
MS: not the tires, the suspension was supposed to be the cause for the out!
Hope there is more races like this to come!

Back