Fire extinguisher systems

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Getting to the stage where I need to think about installing one. What have other people with a mono done?

Was thinking about perhaps a 4 litre bottle with maybe two nozzles in the engine bay and a separate small extinguisher in the cabin. Electronic or mechanical release? Either would work, but maybe electric more easily installed and activated.

Where to locate the bottle (bearing in mind that space under the passenger or driver knees is tight)? Under front nostrils may be possible.

Car will be mainly road use with occasional track day, so maybe a bit of overkill, but I have invested too much money in the damn thing to have it burn down.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Hi im going to fit my 4 ltr bottle in the rear , same side as the gear linkage . i have 4 jets to go round the engine and 2 jets to the cockpit. I got my kit from Demon tweeks .. not expensive..

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Brian
The most popular location is on the scuttle.
It will mean using a screen wash bladder unless you want to keep the Lucas plastic bottle/pump and fit it somewhere else.
IMG_4278.JPG

Jimmy, double up on the small cable clip at the end of the operating cable by the bottle. I have seen these come off twice on emergency operation and not fire of the extinguishent, Lynx nearly lost an original GT40 altogether because a panic pull on the cable simple left the fire marshal with a length of wire in his hand and nice big fire still raging in the engine bay ! I now don't trust these cable connections and always use electrical push button operation. Frank

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
Getting to the stage where I need to think about installing one. What have other people with a mono done?

Was thinking about perhaps a 4 litre bottle with maybe two nozzles in the engine bay and a separate small extinguisher in the cabin. Electronic or mechanical release? Either would work, but maybe electric more easily installed and activated.

Where to locate the bottle (bearing in mind that space under the passenger or driver knees is tight)? Under front nostrils may be possible.

Car will be mainly road use with occasional track day, so maybe a bit of overkill, but I have invested too much money in the damn thing to have it burn down.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Money is insignificant compared to your time and passion that went into your outstanding creation.

Brian
The most popular location is on the scuttle.
It will mean using a screen wash bladder unless you want to keep the Lucas plastic bottle/pump and fit it somewhere else.
View attachment 93643[/QUOTE
Just to remind anyone using their car for racing that the bottles must be bolted down, and not of the over clip down type as shown in the old picture. They are now outlawed by the MSA/FIA.

A low pressure carbon dioxide or nitrogen “tank purge” system would be a great addition to a boiler room firex bottle.

Will obviously not be original but could save your life and the car.

The WWII Corsair had such a system.

Back