Flathead V8

I know this is sort of out there, but does anyone know anything about the flathead V8? I keep hearing about it, and I don't know the first thing about it. I mostly keep hearing about it in older hot rods. Please enlighten me.

Last edited:
Imaginary '40 said:
I know this is sort of out there, but does anyone know anything about the flathead V8? I keep hearing about it, and I don't know the first thing about it. I mostly keep hearing about it in older hot rods. Please enlighten me.

Whatcha wanna know? 3 Main brgs-Ex ports that run thru block around & between cyls, 2 center cyls siamesed port-gear drive cam-slip fit removable valve guides- 3 types of rod bearing thru the evolution,poured whitemetal,full floating,steel backed shell-free overheating feature with every motor. If I can find out how to get my jpeg down to 800x600 from 1632x1232 I will put a pic up of one I have been involved with.

Jac Mac

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
It was the first mass produced V-8 that used a single casting engine block. Most V-8s of the time used 2- 4 cylinder "blocks" on a common crankcase to achieve a V-8. They have valving in the block similar to a B-S,Ohnin or other small side valve engine. The biggest issues they have are (besides the valving) the fact that the exhausts ports run through the cooling system and they have 2 water pumps, this tends to make them have heating issues. I have 2 in the shop currently, one is mine and the other is being set in a Model A frame for a nostalgia rod. I have rebuilt a couple dozen over the years and they are pretty simple, but need special attention much the same as a good FE build. If you have some specific questions, e-mail me off line and I will be glad to answer any I can. They are, by the way, as pricey to build well as an FE is. Unfortuantely since the inches are usually in the 300 inch range the HP is nothing spectacular. Mine is destined for a mid engined "T" bucket by the way, inspired by a 1960s cartoon in Rod and Custom. I don't think a ZF or 930 transaxle is going to be neccesary :).

That expensive?

How can they be as expensive as an FE? :eek: Are there any advantages with a flathead over an OHV engine with comperable displacement? I really appreciate the responses, please keep them coming.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
First engine I ever rebuilt was a flat head V8 in a '53 Ford (that's how I got my first car: parts & labor) No particular advantage (in fact the opposite from an engineering point of view), but Oh! the nostalgic beauty of the thing. The flat head V8 was the first working man's V8 so that is what they hot rodded. If you look at old hot rods with flat heads, they just look sooooo clean. As long as it has been since they were produced, its no surprise that they are getting dear.

Lynn

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Re: That expensive?

Imaginary '40 said:
How can they be as expensive as an FE? :eek: Are there any advantages with a flathead over an OHV engine with comperable displacement? I really appreciate the responses, please keep them coming.
First, there are no advantages over an OHV engine, it is purely a nostalgia thing. The reason the cost so much is that they haven't been made for 54 years and it is unlikely/hard to find one that doesn't suffer from the notorious cracks, so most need repaired. Then they need reliefs cut into the deck for good flow. The valves always need upgraded for a performance build( they are both only about 1.6"). There are fewer parts suppliers than FE's and even fewer people that know how to build one correctly. Halibrand bought a supply of new parts discovered in France back about 7 years ago and had new blocks with reliefs cut already, but if you can find one they are easily $3500. France had apparently used the "big" 256" flathead, it may have been the little 239" one, in their fire/big trucks. They had improved them and used some new materials in the castings and I believe they had casting dates as late as the 1990s. When you start adding it up, parts, machine work, builder you start getting into some FE type change(not 427 side-oiler maybe but pretty much every other one). An equivalent SBF of the same displacement would jerk it's crank out in a race. They do have a sweet sound and as I said they have the "classic" rod look. The flathead was really the Hot Rod engine for many years and it wasn't until into the 60s that it was displaced by the SBC.

Ron Earp

Admin
My next door neighbor builds, sell, and has a bunch of flatheads. Talk about some heavy iron to move around, man they are heavy. I've fooled around with some of his and such, getting a lot of power from one (a lot would be 2XX, a whole lot) costs some cash for sure. They also mess around with some of those super rare blowers for those things, can't remember the name but they go for $10k and up for the blower only.

I like them though in the cars they build, period correct rods with no parts used after a certain date. Neat stuff and loads better than the standard 350 SBC you find in so many of the rods.

R

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Flatheads are k-k-kool! 52' Dodge flatty with dual carb Offy intake. rockonsmile

image014.jpg

Thanks

I did more homework and discovered that it is a nice little engine IMO. If you know where to look, they're really not that expensive, in comparison to a medicore (in terms of parts) 302 or a ricer motor (my friend likes ricers :mad: :eek: ). My main source was Hot Rod magazine's website. Turns out that there are also new parts for flatheads- people are building new parts that are made better than the old ones, including blocks, cranks, pistons, heads, cams, etc. I really appreciate the responses. If any of you have had any experience with them (stories, etc.) I would love to hear them.

Back