Fling SLC Build Thread

Michael Fling

Supporter
So Fran,

Because I have ordered the front dress kit,does that mean you put it in place before you drop in the motor? My guess is no..I am getting fired up. Gathered most of my goodies as you can see from my thread. Keep me up to speed on interior tub and dash mods. Also- can you have Vicki email me my chassis/build number. Thanks. Hope it is going well!!

I agree Aeroquip is good quality. They make both the Teflon (TFE) and rubber (AQP) kinds of hose.

The Aeroquip TFE hose is nonconductive and may be susceptible to the static discharge issue. The AQP hose is life-limited and should be replaced every x years (x seems to vary from 5 to 10 depending on who I talk to).

Michael Fling

Supporter
So when I spoke with the tech at Summit, he was unaware of the issue with potential static build up in the teflon hoses. The website I referred to earlier talks about it the issue, but I wonder if it is a concern that warrants 3x's the cost for their hose?

This is from TechAFX:

First of all, if you are using PTFE (Teflon) hose to transfer fuel, you need to make sure the hose has a 'conductive core'. This is easily recognized as the inside diameter of conductive core hose is black--vs the off-white color of 'non-conductive core' PTFE hose. This is important as fuel is a non-conductor AND it generates a static charge as it passes through PTFE hose. The black color in the PTFE conductive core hose is actually carbon--which allows the static electricity to pass through the hose/fittings assembly to ground. Without that, the static charge builds in the hose, looking for a path to 'ground' to--not a good situation. All PTFE fuel hoses used on production cars are conductive because of this issue--TechAFX only offers conductive core PTFE AN hose.

Second, the reason rubber hoses are failing now is because the chemicals/additives being used in today's fuel are not compatible with rubber hose. The production car business has not used rubber fuel hose for over 10 years because they were aware of the issues with being able to handle these fuels--the aftermarket is just now realizing how serious this issue is and that the only solution is PTFE, conductive-core hose.

I know because TechAFX has been doing extensive development/testing in an SAE-certified lab of our PTFE hose assemblies vs rubber hose--and the results are dramatic. To see some of these results, check out the January 2011 issue of HOT ROD magazine...they used some of our testing results to support a story called 'When Good Hoses Go Bad'. One of the results of this work was the release of our affordable, home-assembled PTFE, conductive core AN hose and fittings line.

We had not planned on getting into this business--we are primarily a provider of OE-style QD fitting performance hose assemblies--but we felt a cost effective PTFE hose solution was needed based on our testing results, so we created an AN PTFE hose/fitting product line.

We believe fuel transfer requires the utmost in safety.

I think most of us would agree this side of the business saw almost no requirements change for many years. But it seems to be experiencing a dramatic shift in the requirements now--we believe the solution is conductive-core, PTFE AN hose.

Aircraft use teflon hoses and I have never heard this was an issue? Not to mention that the SS hose would be grounded on both ends?

Last edited:
I must say that it is impressive that you have 87 posts on your build thread, yet you aren't building a car yet :)

Aircraft use teflon hoses on a regular basis for fuel lines, specifically in the vicinity of the fuel pump and fuel controller.

I have never heard of the static issue...This is news to me..

Michael Fling

Supporter
I have the Spyder Wheels ordered in Gunmetal finish. I have determined the final finish color on my car, and I am going to have black wheels. If anyone who has a car on order who might want their wheels in gunmetal, I would love to sale mine or find a way to make the swap with someone. While my car is 4 weeks away, it is too late to make the change from RCR. That is what I get for being indecisive.

I have the Spyder Wheels ordered in Gunmetal finish. I have determined the final finish color on my car, and I am going to have black wheels. If anyone who has a car on order who might want their wheels in gunmetal, I would love to sale mine or find a way to make the swap with someone. While my car is 4 weeks away, it is too late to make the change from RCR. That is what I get for being indecisive.

Go on the Corvette Forum; the C6-ZO6 uses the same size, type and bolt pattern wheel.
Jim

How much do you want for them? when I received my car one of my front rims had a long deep scar in it, I am going to see if it can be repaired they to are the gun metal spyder rims and they look great on the car and will hide the brake dust well.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Still patiently waiting on the car :sad: It seems like forever... but I am sure I will feel better once I get it here! :laugh4: Hopefully I will hear from them soon???? As far as the wheels $1250.

Sorry for the delay but don't worry its going to be on its way pretty soon......and the new part we have been working on is almost ready....

Michael Fling

Supporter
The other big news is we sold our house! YEA. Now we are starting the new one. One garage for normal stuff and I get my oversized 2 car garage for toys. I am having my scissor lift flush mounted in the floor and another 4 post beside it. TV, sofa, kitchenette area, wash sink, men's room, exhaust fan (not for the men's room- for when I paint), heat/air, epoxy floor, compressor closet.... what am I forgetting? I even have my Hooters Calendar ready to hang! It is a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. LOL. I am just as excited about the garage as my car!

Back