Fling SLC Build Thread

Michael Fling

Supporter
A question... when placing interior carpet, dynomat material is placed first (noise). Does the carpet go directly on that or is there a intermediate material?

FYI- I had an issue with car dying when coming to a stop. Then several times the throttle pedal would not work at all. Shut down a nd restart... it will work for a short time then carpet again. I checked connections, and then got an OBD reader. I replaced the electronic throttle foot control and ... problem solved. According the google, this is not an uncommon problem.

Micheal, I see some similarities in our built objectives and vision of the completed project. Ironically, I see direct opposites in our comfort levels. I'm very comfortable with the mechanics; however, not so much with the body and paint so I will be farming that out.

I expect to take delivery around mid-May. I too wanted to go with the LS7 and Fran talked me out of it. However, as hard as he tried, he was unable to talk me into the LS3/480. I decided that a nice compromise, booth dollars and performance would be the LS3/525. You may laugh at my reasoning...but here it is: I had a drop dead gorgeous Corvette 2005 C5 with a replica 1962 C1 body. A couple of years ago I took it to the Barrett-Jackson auction, everyone that saw the car went absolutely wild over it, that is until I popped the hood and they saw the stock 350HP engine. It was like they expected to see a power plant of equal caliber to the interior and exterior of the car. One guy even had the nerve to ask me if I ran out of money when I got around to the engine?

Call it an ego trip but from on; nothing less than 500HP, even though I will probably never use that extra horse. Example: my 2006 C6 Corvette with an equally drop dead 1963 Split Window Coupe is a ZO6 with a Edelbrock Super Charger putting out 657 ponies!

I did not order the interior panels and will be doing so later into the build. For me it is a space/storage issue. The SLC will make 7 cars in the garage and I didn't want to take a chance on damaging parts in tight quarters.

I too, want to get a jump on ordering as many supplies in advance of the delivery. In reading all of the build threads, a common theme seems to be projects being held up while guys are waiting for that brown UPS truck.

Michael, what model number(s) did you use in ordering your single and double T-clamps, I have been unable to determine what the diameter the brake line is.

Looking forward to reading more posts and best of luck with your build!

Jim
hello i was wondering if you can tell the reason they dont prefer the LS7 engine! is there some kick back to using that platform?

Michael Fling

Supporter
Wanted to report.. the stalling problem at slowing speeds has been solved. Google says the foot pedal electronic connection is a problem. I ordered a new one... got it installed and all works well.

Michael Fling

Supporter
hello i was wondering if you can tell the reason they dont prefer the LS7 engine! is there some kick back to using that platform?
If I were building again... I would install the LS7. I have the LS3/480. Fran said the cam in the 525 made it tough for street driving. I wish I had the 525 or better yet the LS7. I will eventually have mine turbocharged.

If I were building again... I would install the LS7. I have the LS3/480. Fran said the cam in the 525 made it tough for street driving. I wish I had the 525 or better yet the LS7. I will eventually have mine turbocharged.
Thanks for your response. I developed another question and that is the exhaust. I plan on using the sides of the car for the exhaust vs the rear. I plan on using headers so do I need the Short Tube Headers or the Long Tube Headers. The type of engine is a LS7 750HP with Borla Side Stack Induction .
borla.jpg

Also I know the tone would be a deep rich growl with the engine and exhaust but I am looking for a sound found in todays super cars. Do you know how to get that sound resonance would I need a Polyphonic Harmonizer?
borla 1.jpg

My other option is to get a BOOM TUBE
boom.jpg

Michael Fling

Supporter
Thanks for your response. I developed another question and that is the exhaust. I plan on using the sides of the car for the exhaust vs the rear. I plan on using headers so do I need the Short Tube Headers or the Long Tube Headers. The type of engine is a LS7 750HP with Borla Side Stack Induction .View attachment 113229
Also I know the tone would be a deep rich growl with the engine and exhaust but I am looking for a sound found in todays super cars. Do you know how to get that sound resonance would I need a Polyphonic Harmonizer?View attachment 113230
My other option is to get a BOOM TUBE View attachment 113231
I hope the sound you are looking for isn't related to high RPM engines. As you know, the LS gives a great sound, but it is the deeper rumble. I have CATs that feed directly into 12" Flowmasters that then exit to the side. It sounds really wicked.

I hope the sound you are looking for isn't related to high RPM engines. As you know, the LS gives a great sound, but it is the deeper rumble. I have CATs that feed directly into 12" Flowmasters that then exit to the side. It sounds really wicked.
When you have the time can you post some pics of your exhaust set up from the headers to the mufflers? and even a video of the sound if that is not too much. I appreciate it! only if you have the time thank u

Neil

Supporter
A big engine just won't sound the same as a small, high RPM engine no matter what type of exhaust systen it has. Ditto for 12 cylinders versus an 8 or (shudder) a 4 cylinder engine. This is a 383 cubic inch V8 with long tube headers:

Neil

Supporter
No, it is an aluminum block Donovan (small block Chevy) with a standard firing order. The roller cam is a Crower 00427. Notice the wavieness in the video? It is the exhaust sound pressure moving the focal length of the camera auto-focus lens. It is pretty loud.

I like those lighted metal push buttons and button panel, where did you source them? I'm also digging the lower panel section, though I feel that for me I would lose too much leg room with that change. Exciting times! Can't wait to see it come back from the interior upholstery shop.

Michael Fling

Supporter
I like those lighted metal push buttons and button panel, where did you source them? I'm also digging the lower panel section, though I feel that for me I would lose too much leg room with that change. Exciting times! Can't wait to see it come back from the interior upholstery shop.
They carry 3 sizes with options for many colors. Each button can be customized as seen: https://www.thehoffmangroup.com/buttonBuilder/etch-list

Back