FORD G.T. Steering Wheel Center Cap Font

Anyone out there know what font was used in the design of the steering wheel center cap? It's not the same one they used on the side of the car.
P1010046-001.JPG

Anyone out there know what font was used in the design of the steering wheel center cap? It's not the same one they used on the side of the car.
View attachment 97522

No font that we could find. It may make a difference in distortion under the clear coat depending on how you view it. What do you need it for?

Some boss providers I'm sure could offer an opinion.

Cheers.

Attachments

• GT Boss1.GIF
    GT Boss1.GIF
    3.8 KB · Views: 688
Thanks for the reply. I've worked off and on for some time to do a few things. First I'd like to make a reasonable center cap for my car. I know I can buy one but at $250 ouch. Second maybe make some CNC or 3D printed plaques. My current CNC router can do about 1' x 1' and my printer will do about 8" x 8". On the original center cap the top clear part is convex but the lettering and graphic is concave and the lettering is slightly shorter than the surrounding moon shaped parts. Without an original cap to measure or 3D scan it becomes difficult to model in CAD. What I was hoping for was a font I can just insert into my drawing.

I could also reverse the image to make molds but I'm not there yet. This is what I have so far.

Ford GT.jpg

OttoRT

Supporter
I don't know if these images will help, I did them when iÍ had to have a cloth patch for my racing suit made. I produced it in Photoshop, and I remember I found a font that was close, but I had to reshape the letters a bit to make it look right. I would have uploaded the Psd file, but the system does not allow PSD files.

Attachments

• FORD GT   logo.jpg
    FORD GT logo.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 695
  • FORD GT   logo letters jpg.jpg
    FORD GT logo letters jpg.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,004

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Thanks for the reply. I've worked off and on for some time to do a few things. First I'd like to make a reasonable center cap for my car. I know I can buy one but at $250 ouch. Second maybe make some CNC or 3D printed plaques. My current CNC router can do about 1' x 1' and my printer will do about 8" x 8". On the original center cap the top clear part is convex but the lettering and graphic is concave and the lettering is slightly shorter than the surrounding moon shaped parts. Without an original cap to measure or 3D scan it becomes difficult to model in CAD. What I was hoping for was a font I can just insert into my drawing.

I could also reverse the image to make molds but I'm not there yet. This is what I have so far.

View attachment 97607

Hey, if cost is reasonable, I'm in for one. I can't justify the $250-$500 I'm being quoted.

Thanks a lot, you don't happen to still have the center cap out? A few measurements would really help in making my canter cap as close to original as possible.

Richard, there is a good photo showing details in the back of the Haynes manual.
Not sure if I can legally share a photo of it here.

OttoRT

Supporter
I measured the center cap. Outside diameter is 65mm and inner diameter (see picture) is 60 mm. Total thickness is 7 mm and the thickness of the outer diameter is 4mm. I eclose a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 591
Otto thanks so for your help. Can you give me one last picture. A closeup picture of the back. Also if it's possible measure from the back how deep the letters and the crescents are. Again thanks for the help. It's people like you that makes endeavors like this possible.

OttoRT

Supporter
I took a photo from the backside. It looks like the letters are engraved into the plastic and the different colors are painted in layers afterward.
I also include a photo of the seatbelt, of sub belt arrangement for Cameron. Both belts are attached to the same place in the chassis with a bracket you can buy from the racing harness suppliers.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 503
Again thanks. The sad part is somewhere on a shelf sits the mold for these or in some landfill. I wonder if these were made by Ford or sub contracted out to someone in England. Is there anyone that has enough of the paperwork from back then to tell? In the before time I was a tool and die make and know how expensive plastic injection molds are to make. A lot of money for for such a small run of parts. Maybe 200 were ever made. Enough for the cars and a few spares IMHO.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Otto thanks so for your help. Can you give me one last picture. A closeup picture of the back. Also if it's possible measure from the back how deep the letters and the crescents are. "Again thanks for the help. It's people like you that makes endeavors like this possible. "

No Richard, it's people like you & Otto ( who should know much better than to offer you detailed photos of my work, seeing as i bent over backwards in helping him with more than just parts for his build ) who cheapen the whole effort, by openly ripping off items that are already out there and available. Yes, i have the moulds and as you say ' enough of the paperwork '. Though god knows how that badge has been stored these years, meaning the damage. You own a car that is probably worth USD $ 100 K, yet you rip off someone's work... how does that make you look.

OttoRT

Supporter
Hi Andrew . Apologizes for showing your artwork. I did not intend to help anybody ripping you off. Just trying as a new member to be helpful.

Charlie I was sorry to see your post. First I'd like to say it was never my intent to rip anyone off. All I asked for was pictures and other information about the original Ford G. T. steering wheel center cap. The pictures and other information I've posted were either of original parts or CAD drawing I've made from that information. I would appreciate an apology for your unfounded remarks.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Charlie I was sorry to see your post. First I'd like to say it was never my intent to rip anyone off. All I asked for was pictures and other information about the original Ford G. T. steering wheel center cap. The pictures and other information I've posted were either of original parts or CAD drawing I've made from that information. I would appreciate an apology for your unfounded remarks.

Richard, you clearly give thanks for the information supplied to date, then go onto compound what i see as ' wrongdoing ' by asking for MORE.
What would you have me believe please... that you are going to forget all the information you have received ?
I'm wondering who it actually is, that got off the banana boat.. An apology is in order, but not from these shores.
Btw, i've received at least four messages of support from longstanding members. Thanks guys.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Charlie,

I understand your position, I have been there. However, do you have a license from Ford to use the "FORD G.T." trademark? Having been a licensed Ford trademark manufacturer I understand the issues involved with with this. Rest assured I will NOT be the one to turn you in if you are not licensed but the lawyers who police this stuff are paid extra for finding infractions.

There are many "grey" areas revolving around these cars. Let's not jump on a hobbiest who is looking to upgrade his car as opposed to a vendor who wants to sell product(s).

Back