FORD GT - Right Hand Drive Conversion

HILLY

Supporter
Just putting it out there for some feedback from those that may be a little more knowledge that I am as I have always been curious as to the amount of work that would be required to convert a FORD GT from left to right hand steer. From the few advertisements that I have seen to date the import and conversion more than doubles the cost of the car with the import and freight costs probably being a minor component of the total cost. Is there really $200k + involved in such a conversion ?

I have a conversion/compliance business here in Australia, while there is not going to be $200k in the cost of the conversion,there are other ADR's that the vehicle will have to comply to.
I would hazard a guess that as he is the only company to date that has complied the GT he has no competition, so charges accordingly, it's not a large market of people wanting these.

He is definitely making a very good profit from this though.

Regards

Lindsey

HILLY

Supporter
Hi Lindsey,
There is nothing wrong with making a profit and if you are willing to put the effort into such a project and people are willing to pay for the service you can not begrudge anyone a healthy return on ones investment.
I suppose that my next thought would be to question the feasibility of employing the services of an engineer such as yourself along with access to the required mechanical support and performing a one off conversion.
Is this totally unrealistic ?
And being a production car, will the ADR compliance process be more acceptable to the authorities (ie. easier) compared to the applications from the low volume replica players such as the cobra’s and GT40’s where they tend to make life as difficult as possible ?

No nothing wrong with a profit, he's done the yards.

Feasibility to one offs is upto the customer.
We are doing a 2010 dodge Viper at the moment and it isn't cheap (fractions of $$ of a GT).
She is only interested in doing the one, I have another customer that might do a few once hers is done tho.
The compliance process is different for ICV to New Low Volume and Used Low Volume.
In my experience the ICV process is simple and easy, there are rules to these games and you just have to know where the goal posts are and start running that way.

I will look at any project, they all pay money

Tell me more about the Viper conversion? I have been wanting to bring in a 92/94 model Viper and was wondering how you get them in?

First you have to locate a RAWS (like me) that will do the compliance for you, work out an agreed price, they will organise the import approval & do the compliance work to plate your vehicle so it can be registered in Australia.

What else do you want to know?

Back