Formula Junior..Volopini replica

Now this is what a real paint job looks like, the boys at Spraywell have done a magnificent job considering the amount of prep that was required after the previous `****` up.
Looking forward to assembly and then the body manufacture.
Cheers
DSCN6368.JPG
DSCN6367.JPG
DSCN6366.JPG
 
Well it`s always a pleasure bolting shiny new bits and bolts into a nicely painted frame. Got most of the running gear in place now so wiring, fuel and brakes will be next. The rear spring will need to be beefed up a little as it is softer than I had planned. The frame / wheels have aligned up really accurate, having the MX5 subframe made this a doddle. The front shocks / leverage ratio`s appear to be about right so will wait until I have the motor installed before I make any changes. Started gathering materials for the buck now which I will start once this is rolling or drivable. The green tape is to protect the paint.
 

Attachments

Joel K

Supporter
Very nice work, interesting setup on the rear with the transverse leaf spring. Similar setup to Corvettes.
 
The reason for the transverse is two fold, one is that its old school and two that its more compact than the origional MX5 spring and shock set up. The spring is a flat spring and I need a couple of more leaves as it is not riding high enough.
Cheers
 
Well must be the season....looks like Santa has been, nice shiny new bits in the front now with the engine put back in the car today. I had stripped the motor down and found that it was not as good condition as hoped for so it`s now quite an expensive little block of bits. Rebore and new 1mm oversize pistons / rings, cam and big end bearings, stage 4 cam, stronger valve springs, followers re ground, head / block skimmed, all valves seats re cut and seated and a new paint job! Spent the last couple of days, quietly assembling the motor and trying to find where all the bits are. Now that its in the car, I can get back onto the body mould buck.
Anyway Merry Christmas to one and all.
Regards
Russell
DSCN6463.JPG
DSCN6465.JPG
DSCN6464.JPG
DSCN6466.JPG
 
Now its time to do the dusty part, lots of sanding and shaping. Set up the profiles and planked it with strip bison board and glued it all together with Gorilla glue which expands like a foam. The curved sections turn out really strong. Once I had the nose planked on one side, I found that I was not happy with the shape. I had cut a good side profile jig from a photo I had scaled up but had to use my `eye ometer` for the top down profile. After some serious thinking it was out with the jig saw and re cut the front profiles to what I thought was better shape and then filled in the spaces with the blue construction foam that you can see. Its a very fine dense foam that is easy to sand. I was originally not going to make mold`s from the buck but will now do the full process.
The motor is back sitting in the chassis waiting for some more attention but will just have to wait. At least its rolling and the brakes are all connected.
 

Attachments

The rear section is now starting to take shape, will need a little more foam to do the tail end curves. Starting to look like a really large slug!
Amazing how you can achieve compound shapes by just forcing the appropriate curve in each strip laid down. This whole section will get a skim over to remove variations.
Cheers
DSCN6472.JPG
 

Attachments

When people ask me what I have been doing....turning tins of bondi into dust!
The tail section is all but shaped now and once I fill in the `hollows` will skim coat and then sand back for the mold surface.
Shame there is no market for dust.
Russell
DSCN6476.JPG
 

Attachments

Top