Fuel injection for original gt40

Rune

Supporter
Someone told me that the old 40's had some kind of fuel injection ? I've never seen that before, never read about it either . If it's true , is there some reading to find about this. It would be fine to be able to use this and still compare with the original cars
Rune

Rune,
you could be refering to the Tecalamit Jackson kits that were available for the 289 in the mid sixties. A nice period piece I suppose but as I recall they were set up as a constant flow system and not very good either!
Havn't seen one for years and for road use, forget it.
Mike

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter

Attachments

• Tecalemit Jackson injection pic 02.jpg
    Tecalemit Jackson injection pic 02.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,292

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Some experiments back in the day. Also Jim Toensing had some kind of FI setup on his GT40, I don't know whether it was TJ or Hilborn. This would be very difficult to drive on the street; these were basically race systems. When 103 was sold to Symbolic Motor Car Company, it had a Ford Indy DOHC engine fitted with EFI which Bill had adapted to it; it had coil pack ignition and an ECU-regulated system on it. It WAS street drivable but by then the technology had moved along considerably, with computers to run the FI system and coordinate it with ignition.

Hello Sending a picture of a TJ injection that i got during early 80s. I sold an 351W -70 Shelby engine and got this also. Its rebuild with fuel solenoids.
It was mounted on a 289 engine with Weslake Heads and comes from a GT40 in England
and bought to Denmark. In a Sundbeam Tiger. It have been lowered to fit into the Tiger
The sound is very nice when it was on my Mustang for a short time. And it will be in my KVA GT40 next year.
Looking for a camshaft to suit this on a 289.
Best regards from Sweden Dan Andersson

Attachments

• Tecalemit Jackson jpg.jpg
    Tecalemit Jackson jpg.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,109
I have a TJ on a 427 sideoiler in a Kellison GT40K that I'm building.

Attachments

• New Image7.JPG
    New Image7.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 659
Hi,

I have just recently purchased a TJ injection system. But it has no air cleaner/filter. But there are screw holes on each trumpt.
Does anyone have a picture on what was bolted to the top?
thanks

I have a few of theses TJ set ups. I contacted TJ a few years ago in the hope of making sense of all the valves and bits that make them work. They have nothing to do with this stuff anymore but gave me the number of the development engineer that worked on these for them many moons ago. I contacted him and he was more than helpful and gave me the low down on whats needed to get them running properly, he also explained that for some reason there was no repeat ability in set up. two engines of the same spec with two tj`s would not run the same which was why they were not popular outside of the race track. They can with patience be set up to perfection but you would need access to all the jets,springs and the cams for the fuel valves . Nathan did I send you a manual and pump a few years ago? Anyway if anyone is in need of bits for these I do have a lot of spare`s because I have converted the ones I have to electronic injection

Bob

I also have a tj for a smallblock ford that has Lotus cast into the valley , often wondered what Lotus would have run this on.Short and long stack TJ

Last edited:
FAV developed a slide throttle Lucas metered FI system for the GW engine with the fuel metering unit driven off the back of the cam. They didn't pursue it beyond testing and only made one system, but the slide throttle design was adapted by Gurney who made a few sets for constant flow setups (see Jay Cushman's inventory).

Back