G96 master cylinder size?

Kyle

Supporter
Just curious was size master you guys are using with the G96 and standard Wilwood/tilton assembly? It’s been a long time since I’ve driven a manual and I’m sure since they were older trucks they were all mechanical linkage.

My pedal feels like a long push through thick thick mud. Idk how else to describe it, it seems like I have plenty of travel as I have room to push even after setting the clutch stop. I’m wondering if the 5/8 master would give me an easier push? I believe I have a 3/4 on there currently.

...My pedal feels like a long push through thick thick mud. Idk how else to describe it, it seems like I have plenty of travel as I have room to push even after setting the clutch stop. I’m wondering if the 5/8 master would give me an easier push? I believe I have a 3/4 on there currently.
It sounds like you might have some restriction in the hydraulic line. What size hard lines are you using?

I used a Toyota 5/8" master cylinder for my G96.01 on my GTM, with the caveat that I have not yet driven the car. It has been started and can run through the gears. I dropped down from the supplied Wildwood 3/4" master to decrease pedal effort.

Kyle

Supporter
I used a Toyota 5/8" master cylinder for my G96.01 on my GTM, with the caveat that I have not yet driven the car. It has been started and can run through the gears. I dropped down from the supplied Wildwood 3/4" master to decrease pedal effort.
Did that provide a noticeable difference? I have a 5/8th on order.

I never even installed the 3/4 based on other builder's complaints of the pedal effort.
Make sure you always install an adjustable clutch pedal stop so you don't overtravel the slave!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Doesn't this depend on the slave cylinder diameter as well? I say that because in my application, I utilize a different manufacturer's slave cylinder due to mounting ease onto the adapter plate.

Kyle

Supporter
It does depend on slave too, however right now I’m just using stock 996 slave. The master is easier for me to change than hunt down a compatible slave. If this doesn’t work that’s my next option. Changing to 1/4 line is the very last resort for me.

Kyle

Supporter
Well I installed the 5/8th today. A few things. While installing (pain in the ass). I went to bleed the clutch again and noticed I was getting no fluid with a pressure bleeder. I tracked it down to something blocking my flex line to the slave. Swapped to a new line and things flowed smooth. The pedal push is much easier, however, I just can’t get enough travel. Pedal all the way to the floor and it’s just barely won’t release. So back to the 3/4, hoping that the clogged line was my problem the whole time and that the 3/4 will be easier now. Will install the 3/4 when I muster up the will to jam myself in there again.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Good? Maybe? At least that's consistent with your original description. Did you ascertain the reason for the blockage? Seems like a very unusual problem.

Kyle

Supporter
Good? Maybe? At least that's consistent with your original description. Did you ascertain the reason for the blockage? Seems like a very unusual problem.
Have not verified why the blockage occurred. I’m assuming junk in line. Either way the flow is much better. Debating on whether I should order the 7/10 from tilton. 3/4 is a lot of travel, 5/8 isn’t enough, 7/10 should be just right but not sure it is worth it.

Neil

Supporter
I don't know what kind of fitting is on the end of your hose But some types can create an inner "flap" that acts like a check valve if the fitting is installed incorrectly.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I did a comparison of the .7" vs the .75" (I happened to have both), and couldn't "feel" any different between the two. I know, kind of subjective, and technically, there should be a difference, but I went with .75" all the way around for all three MCs. Yeah Neil, I was thinking about the split-hose fittings, but I don't even know if those are still in use or even available anymore. They were such a PITA, because the chance of error was much higher than the current design sold for those wanting to build their own hoses. I kept mine simple, and used pre-made short hoses for my fixed line-to-cylinder transitions.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have not used this yet, but another builder recommended it to me so I thought I'd give it a try. It sounds good in theory.

Regards Brian

Kyle

Supporter
I ended up ordering the .7 since I can return the 5/8. Should be the perfect balance between disengagement and ease of push. We shall see.

Back