Good bye Locost 7 Hello GT40!!

Just like many the economy has hit me a bit harder than I would have liked. So in the inertest of trying to save where I can. I decide to try and make my own brake disc mounting bells oy of the Merkur Scorpio solid rear discs. Here a couple of pics while machining one this weekend

Attachments

• rotorhat1.jpg
    rotorhat1.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 629
  • rotorhat3.jpg
    rotorhat3.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 586
One of the major things with a scratch build it seems like you are constantly collecting parts. You always have to keep in mind will this part work with that part.

I ordered my crankshaft and I forgot about the balance weights varying with the windsor block crankshafts. I ordered a 28 ounce weight fly wheel and ordered a 50 ounce crankshaft. So I am off to the engine machine shop to see if he can help me.

other parts I have collected lately are.
SPA AFFF fire system..
Clutch pressure plate and disc
rear uprights and lower control arms

The engine guy says He can fix it so good news there. But bad news also my block is going to .060 over and he tells me not to use it.

The one thing nice about being inside racing is that once in a while you find products to help your project. I am going to use this on my rear bulkhead. It is called Teknofibra. I think it will help in a couple different other areas also. It has an adhesive backing which will work nicely for my application.

Attachments

• teknofibra.jpg
    teknofibra.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 387
  • teknofibraback.jpg
    teknofibraback.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 371
Projects abound I received several pieces to the puzzle lately. My rear uprights arrived. Also the aluminum bar stock for my shifter mount

Attachments

• 0616011358a.jpg
    0616011358a.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 640
  • 0616011358.jpg
    0616011358.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 523
Progress has been slow. I now have the sheet aluminum for the fuel cells and also have a blank rotor hat forgings for the front brakes

Dave,
I wouldn't worry about the .060 over on the block. My 351Winsor came with my car and was .030 over and freshly rebuilt. It had never been cranked. When I inspected the engine, Ifound water everywhere. He had let the car sit out in the rain. After negotiations I kept the engine and he paid for a fresh rebuild. My engine guy(Charley Peppers) an old fellow up in Cummings Ga. that has his shop in a barn and has been doing engines for many years. He supplies all the drag and roundy round guys with their engines. He took a look at my block and said a hone job would remove the stains(rust). After honing he said it would have to be bored, as there was pitting of several cylinders and .60 was the target. I allayed my fears about the .060. He said that .06 would not leave the walls too thin, and he had done many engines this way. It was the catalyst to building my engine the way I wanted it anyway. Bored, stroked and internally balanced.
It will bump the power up a bit, to around 408CI. I will dyno the engine on a chassis dyno on Wednesday. I will shoot you the results, but you can do .06 without any fears.

Bill

Spent some time working in the garage this evening. I removed the the Ford Granada hubs from the front of the chassis. I needed to remove the brake discs from the hub. The Hub and discs were one piece castings. Clamped the hubs to the bridgeport mill fired up the phase converter and machined the brake discs off. Now I can take the hubs to the lathe at work and finish the job. The bonus is I will lose a bit of weight on each hub.

Last edited:
A couple photos of front Brake Hat blank forgings I am starting with to make front brake disc hats.

Attachments

• rotorhatfrontfront.jpg
    rotorhatfrontfront.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 328
  • Rotorfrontbackside.jpg
    Rotorfrontbackside.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 328
Hi Frank:

It was bigger cut it down a bit!

I got the center of the shifter mounting bracket machined the rest of the way out today. I am going to have to invest in a machine vise. It was a real pain to do with out one. I may finish it up at work on my lunch breaks. But at least we have progress.

David:

Since being in the racing parts business starting in 1995. The most common material I have seen used is a 6061-T6 aluminum. Some high end hats are made from aircraft grade 7075.The old grand national style hats (nascar) were just castings. Availability and cost are always issues in production parts. I personally think 6061 will work fine for my application. I quit reading engineering books years ago they put me to sleep;-)

Started machining front brake hats today. Nice to be making progress.
Also my Christmas present from my wife was a 12 circut wiring harness which arrived yesterday.

Attachments

• Fronthatlathe.jpg
    Fronthatlathe.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 335
  • fronthatlathe2.jpg
    fronthatlathe2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 322

Kevin Box

Supporter
David

Interesting that you are using 6061. DBA use this grade of aluminium for their mass produced hats - part of the reason being it is easily anodised.

I was tossing up between 2011 (free machining bar) and 7000 series

cheers
Kevin B

Back