Good bye Locost 7 Hello GT40!!

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dave,
Us scratch builder's got to stick together. Your doing a fine job. Your in the right state too not too hot and can work through the winter.

Dave S is right here, it's bloody hard to get out into the workshop in the winter after you've had a good feed and finally got warmed up after working outside in the cold all day

Working from home has it's drawbacks too. Usually your neighbors like to drop in right in the middle of things. I sometimes end up doing more talking than work.

I don't think it matters where you are working, that will happen. The closer you get to being finished the worse it gets!

Russ will need the molds until he gets the car to run in front. Traffic can get messy at times.
Dave

Those molds are an essential part of the kiwi racing kit. With the majority of races that we do being either handicap or reverse grid you are always dealing with slower traffic. If you want to get through to the front you can't afford to pussyfoot around, but by the same token you can't afford to be too aggressive either or you won't finish. It's a fairly delicate balance. FWIW my favourite racing is reverse grid as I enjoy driving through the field and with everyone leaving on the one flag drop there is less need to chance a risky manoeuvre.

Had a bit of a break through today. The front suspension has been getting the best of me for a while. Because I tapered the front of the Chassis. I had it all figured out in the roll center program and then I discovered I had some bars in the way and it sent me into a bit of a tail spin. But I changed my Ideas for how I was going to do the mounts and today I have a functional upper control arm and mounts clamped in place.
If I recommend one tool for a scratch builder it is a smart level.

The 351 windsor block and the Audi transaxle had a little get together today. Actually wanted to check the fit of the adaptor plate I bought a few months back. Also it allows me to have an idea of how I am going to build a crib to hold the block while the engine mounts are being fabbed up

Attachments

• 1220091736.jpg
    1220091736.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 641
  • 1220091737.jpg
    1220091737.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 533
I was able to get my shocks ordered and I recieved the fairly quickly. I also ordered my flywheel from Kennedy Engineered Products but that is a 3 week wait for delivery.

Attachments

• cp1_0119001237.jpg
    cp1_0119001237.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 390
Just a little progress report. Have spent the last weeks worth of lunch hours making upper shock mounts and adding braces and shock mounts to the lower control arms. Just about ready to weld the upper shock mounts to the chassis.

Attachments

• cp1_0128001146.jpg
    cp1_0128001146.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 419
  • cp1_0128001214.jpg
    cp1_0128001214.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 497
  • cp1_0128001146a.jpg
    cp1_0128001146a.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 606
Yesterday I was able to get the Lower control arms with shock mounts installed and welded the upper shock mounts in place.
Woke up to ice and snow this morning so no work on the GT. I refuse to shovel snow have not done it in five years. So I got a sheet of plastic and took our 7 year old sliding. Andie had a ball playing in the snow

Attachments

• 0130000734a.jpg
    0130000734a.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 422
  • 0130000734.jpg
    0130000734.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 471
I just received my ring and pinion for my transaxle. I am going to attempt the conversion from the Audi 4:11 to the Porsche 3:375. Ring and pinion look to be in good shape. If anyone has already done this any pointers would be great

A bit more progress to report. Over the weekend was able to finish up the right side upper control arm. I was also able to get the upper mounts all fabricated and finished. Just have to drill the holes for the bolts that will hold the mounts to the chassis.

I clamped the mounts in place and fitted a tire to the drivers side hub. My main concern has been that the tires would rub the chassis with the steering at full lock. Yahoo it clears!!!

Thanks Tiago:

A mile stone today I have tires and rims on the front of the GT Chassis!:pepper:
It has been a major challenge to get this done. Front shocks are mounted. I still have to mount the rack and pinion. But it is a light at the end of a tunnel for me.

Attachments

• 0305001227.jpg
    0305001227.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 724
Hi All:

I have been making a bit of progress. The steering rack mounts made. Also have the steering column mocked in position.
Started making the forward rear link mounts yesterday. May have those welded in place tomorrow.
The wheels should be in this week. I decided to go a bit modern,less pricey and chose a mustang FR500 wheel.

I know most purests will not agree. But I have decided to mix a bit of new school with old school and go to 17" wheels. My wheels arrived yesterday.
FR500 style used on mustangs. They are simular to the newer GT wheels but not exact copies

Attachments

• 0324001756.jpg
    0324001756.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 416
Yesterday I ordered my rear tires 275/40/R17. Due to the cold winter I had not wired my bridgeport mill. Last night I was able to get the wiring completed. The phase converter motor runs and the machine runs.:thumbsup:

This weekend is the spring Autofair in Charlotte. I am off to look for some deals.

The GT's chassis is now at her home. Thank you to my wife for helping me unload it out of the box trailer from work. I was no easy task.

Back