Good bye Locost 7 Hello GT40!!

I need an expansion tank so as with most of the GT so far saving by making one. The good part years ago my expartner and I made some racing parts and expansion tanks and rearend breather tanks were some of the products we made. He still had some tube and domed ends we used to stamp out in a punch press. Which he donated. So figured I would make 2 and sell one.

Attachments

• expansiontank.jpg
    expansiontank.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 342
Finished machining the second rear upright center a few days ago. Finalized the position of the pedal box. Hoping Santa brings me a camshaft for Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all of you! I hope your New Year is filled with many blessings!

It is great to have a wife that stands behind your projects even when they last 4 years. I got a cam shaft for Christmas.

An aluminum water pump arrived today also a 12" x 48" .125 sheet of aluminum for the top of one of my fuel cells. During my holiday days off I stopped in for a quick visit to Holman Moody. Nice to chat with the good people there.

Woohoo! The engine is now at the machine shop. It will be getting a good cleaning and .040 over bore. Owner said it should be done next week.

Hi Phil :

Keep in mind it is a stroker 393 compression should be 10.5 . The duration @ .050 234 intake and 244
Lift is .520 intake and .547 exhaust.

I have always preferred a split duration cam. To me it just makes more sense to hold the exhaust valve open a bit more for fords because the valves are so small. Also I am using stock cast iron heads and any help on the exhaust side is a good thing in my opinion. I also chose the cam to be a bit bigger because to me there is nothing more disappointing than a cam that goes flat on the top end
being that the transaxle is an Audi 016 a little less low end may make it last a bit longer.
I think it should rumble pretty good.

It has been good day today. I picked up the engine block from the machine shop. Dropped off the connecting rods to have the old pistons pressed off. Frost plugs arrived a few days ago.
I also received confirmation my gauge set has shipped. Looking forward to getting them installed in the dash.

Received a package today from the UK. Specifically from Frank Catt at Wealden Engineering. Frank took time out of his busy schedule to send me a set of used headers for my scratch build. It is great to find good guys who will help you out.

Thanks again Frank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 478
Found a broken off bolt in a motor mount hole. Tried soaking it with penetrating oil and heat it would not break loose.
Had to resort to a helicoil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 298
Dave, ALWAYS wire the engine block to mount bolts, never rely on just tightening them, I have had several cars turn up at my shop with bolts completely missing, one car had all four missing and the owner complained the clutch didnt feel right ! Frank

A problem has cropped with my engine build. When you buy parts you some times have to be doubly sure you are getting parts that will work with parts you already have.
My Kennedy flywheel is 28 oz balance and my harmonic balancer is 28 oz. The Stroker crank I bought is 50oz balance. Looks The 40 is getting an over bored 351 instead of the 393.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You might want to check on the price to get the flywheel rebalanced Dave. I always have the whole package rebalanced anyway as I've never yet found that "pre-balanced" parts are within my acceptable tolerances anyway..

Back