Good bye Locost 7 Hello GT40!!

Dave,
You might try to order the "assemby" together for the peace of mind that it can't go ary as when you buy them a piece at a time. I know that different components have to be closely monitored. If it is a Kennedy unit they will swap it out. I used a builder and placed the order so that "he" had the responsibility of doing it in one mode(short block). I did mine in "0" balance. It is amazing the difference in the sound and I think the performance.

Bill

Over the years have made a few cam bearing installation tools. They all seemed to make it into some one else's tool kit. So took the old cam and made another one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Been chasing a bit of information on the cranks I bought. Found the manufacturer and it is a 28 ounce balance crank. So started to trial fit the assembly. Bought King rod and main bearings.Picked up my rods from the machine shop.
Made slip fit wrist pin so I could check fit the pistons and crank clearance.
Jac Mac had said one of the problems with a 393 Windsor is how far the piston is pulled out of the bore when the crank is at the lowest point of the stroke. Well sure enough the crank counter weight fouls the piston skirt. Nothing a little milling wil not fix. The counter weight also contacts the oil pump so I will address that too.

Renato

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dave,

Good to see you are making progress. I have lots of respect for all you guys scratch building a car. There is so much work in every detail on the car and unless you done it you can't even start to imagine.

Keep on the great work!

Regards,
Renato

Dave:
It looks like you thought things out and are finding a solution to your problem. Sometimes its easy to get a little frustrated with all these little snags, but once over the bumps I find I make good progress if I just pace myself and walk away for a day or two.
It sounds like you are building quite a motor, can't wait to hear it run.
Cheers
Phil

Has anyone had contact with Dave?? He and I were comunicationg back and forth up until April 15. We were setting up a date that I would come to North Carolina and pick up a part. Since that date, I have not gotten any comunication from him or response to my attempts. I don't have a phone # for him or I would call. Anyone heard from him?? Just getting a litttle concerned. PM me if you have his # or know of any details.

Bill

Hi All:

Have not been on here in a while. Projects around home have diverted my focus a lot lately. No progress to report sadly on anything gt related!

Last edited:
Woke up today to a nice cool morning. After having coffee and eating breakfast alone under the pergola I built for my wife this summer. My wife bid me good bye to take our daughter to soccer practice. Ah ha! The garage is empty next to the GT nows my chance. I set out and finally got some work done on the car today. Fitted a fuel tank blank to the chassis to see where I need to run the filler necks and where the fuel gauge sending units will be. I removed the intake manifold off the dummy block to send it out for bead blasting.
I also discovered that I have a rear clip fitment problem the headers are hitting the internal structure I think it is because I am using the 351W block. Too wide!

Welded some stiffeners to the floor under the pedal box also.

All and all moving forward again!

Woke up today to a nice cool morning. After having coffee and eating breakfast alone under the pergola I built for my wife this summer. My wife bid me good bye to take our daughter to soccer practice. Ah ha! The garage is empty next to the GT nows my chance. I set out and finally got some work done on the car today. Fitted a fuel tank blank to the chassis to see where I need to run the filler necks and where the fuel gauge sending units will be. I removed the intake manifold off the dummy block to send it out for bead blasting.
I also discovered that I have a rear clip fitment problem the headers are hitting the internal structure I think it is because I am using the 351W block. Too wide!

Welded some stiffeners to the floor under the pedal box also.

All and all moving forward again!

Last edited:
Got a bit of work on the GT done today. Got the second floor brace cut and welded in place for the pedal box. Cut the end caps for the drivers side fuel cell.
Cut the lower side plates for the rear up rights. Realized I have been putting off buying some hole saws too a trip to Lowes and picked up some. Hurried back home and drilled the dash for my gauge set.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 338
Started making the rings for the fuel guage senders to bolt onto. They will be welded to the tanks.

Attachments

• fuelsender.jpg
    fuelsender.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 259
More work done today. Got the gauges installed in the dash. Also have the fuel tanks drilled with a hole saw for the filler and the fuel gauge sending unit rings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 270
Got more done again today the pedal box mounting holes are drilled and the box is bolted in place. It has 3 AP CP2623 short masters on it. I also got the mounting bracket made for the fluid reservoirs. I used the AP large style reservoirs one with double outlet the clutch reservoir has single outlet. I need to get some adel clamps to fasten lines to the coolant tube cover that runs down the middle of the car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 292
Back