Good bye Locost 7 Hello GT40!!

5/16" mounting holes

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 424
Been working on procuring bearings for my rear bearing carriers which are off a 1989 Merkur Scorpio. The bearings I ordered of Rock Auto were in correct. They were smaller like the XR4TI rear bearings. Here is the SKF number which is available from Napa SKF FW141.

Made some clevis brackets to go from rear uprights go heim joints on the trailing arms. Used 3/16" thick flat steel 1 1/4" wide

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 360
The hardest part of this build for me has been having to make cuts on the fiberglass inner parts for clearance.
Today a I had to cut way part if the inner dual nostril panels. Knowing what I know now I would have had Bill Hough not bond the two pieces.
It does give me comfort to see that many of you have modified yours also.

I cut out my gas cap holes in the front clip while I was at it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It does take a bit of courage to make the first few cuts into fresh fiberglass, but after a while you're get numb to it... It does make it easier when you save the pieces you cut out because you know you can rebuild the piece with resin and glass if you need to...

I cut the blazes out of my dual nostril panel and only left the top of it alone.. The nostril channels are nothing like what I got originally and are much more like the originals now.
In a word, I am pleased with the results of my labor on it..

Randy:
I am sure it will all work out work it is just the cost of the body panels. I purchased one of those vibratory multi-purpose tools installed one of the half moon blades. It worked great for cutting the fiberglass which was a pleasant surprise. I hate grinding fiberglass. Seems like I always end up scratching like a dog with fleas.
I am now working on installing the drivers side door. Have the hinges and pins made.

Dave, were you able to avoid cutting into the vent tubes coming off the NASA vents on each side of the nostril panel? I have significant interference on mine. Of course, it comes down to either moving the offending square steel tube ( the one that goes from the cowl to the radiator support) or notching the fiberglass vent tubes. I have the same body panels as you, but I'm using a GT-Forte chassis.

Joe

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Joe - I , for one, would love to see what you're looking at...

I can't find a build log for you...
You should consider starting one here in the Build Logs forum so we can follow your build!
GT40 Build Logs - GT40s.com

Hi Joe:

I did have to cut them off. Bill's parts are for original cars so the ducts on the inside of the clip did not line up with anything. On the originals they align up with holes in the chassis. However I did make it so that they are going to be repositioned and used. I am still hunting for a couple nice cable controlled vent butterfly shut offs.

Randy:

The Naca ducts on the left and right of the front clip had the duct work tubing already in place. I believe that is what Joe is refering to

Last edited:
Trying to mount the doors. Made a major error in bonding them before fitting spider. I have had to cut the seams I bonded on the upper part of the doors.

NickD

Supporter
Making the center console out of fiberglass. I had seen this technique in a video for building custom speaker boxes. Laminating a flat sheet of fiberglass on a piece of tempered glass from an old end table.
Wax with mould wax a couple coats and it comes right off. You can trim it with a razor knife when it starts to harden if you would like

Bloody hell Dave, just following your old posts. This pic reminds me of my old late Nan's beard and mustache growth at Christmas, ;-(

Have been working a bit on the rear uprights. Drilling and tapping to hold the Scorpio bearing carriers. Anybody who is using Granada rear bearings care to share what grease they run in them?
Hoping to have it on all four wheels soon.

Spent some time last night putting new bearings in one of my Scorpio carriers for the rear of the car. New seals in both carriers on the inside and outside. It will be good to see her on all 4 wheels hopefully soon

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Inching ever closer Dave! :thumbsup:

I tried using one of those hole cutter like that for my tail ilghts.. Made a mess of things as it was very difficult to control... Glad to see you have a steadier hand.

Sorry to hear that Randy. Did you drill a pilot hole? I do have a larger drill with a good sized handle. It was a variable speed.

Back