Graz & Shift Adjustment

1. Is there a best/correct way to adjust the original shifter and the Graz tranny? I see there is an alignment hole at the tranny linkage but not certain the best way to use it, if at all, with the stock shifter?

2. I can only get back into first gear after I stop the car (aka it won't downshift into first prior to stopping). Is that typical?

Johan

Supporter
1. Is there a best/correct way to adjust the original shifter and the Graz tranny? I see there is an alignment hole at the tranny linkage but not certain the best way to use it, if at all, with the stock shifter?

2. I can only get back into first gear after I stop the car (aka it won't downshift into first prior to stopping). Is that typical?

Here you go Dan, hope this will help.

Attachments

• D0FD5EF2-FED7-4C47-B07D-25AF63506A17.png
    D0FD5EF2-FED7-4C47-B07D-25AF63506A17.png
    667.6 KB · Views: 367
  • 92BB9948-2376-4D82-912E-0337E9412D91.png
    92BB9948-2376-4D82-912E-0337E9412D91.png
    718.2 KB · Views: 349

Johan

Supporter

In stead of the 3359 tool you can use a normal drill bit. Don’t remember if it’ 6 or 8mm

Thanks. I saw this before and without a gated shifter (aka original RCR style), it’s a guess a suppose on where to align the shifter spacing as indicated at the top of page two. I would conclude to find dead center and hold it there and then set the cables per the rest of the procedure. Guess I’ll give that a try.

Your #2 question sounds more like a syncro issue than a linkage adjustment issue. I don't have any first hand experience with the Graz, so not sure if that is typical or not. If not typical, I would say it probably has to do with what you used for gear lube. Some gear lubes are not very syncro-friendly and will need to switch to a different lube or add some additives to make it more "sticky" for the syncros to work properly.

I talked to Audi and a Maserati repair shop and both indicated it is a characteristic of this tranny. One day I’ll get the new shifter,but for now I’ll adjust the original stock one as best I can.

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
I talked to Audi and a Maserati repair shop and both indicated it is a characteristic of this tranny. One day I’ll get the new shifter,but for now I’ll adjust the original stock one as best I can.

Dan - the shop advised you wrong. Not being able to get back into first until the car stops is NOT a characteristic of this gearbox. I speak both from personal experience, having more than one in my own car, and from feedback from numerous customers.
Best,
John

That begs a question. I did have an experienced shop change out the drop gear. So when shifting back to first, what role does the drop gear play if any, when shifting?

Where might the issue be, syncros, drop gear, or else where?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
My money is on the shifter causing the issue. Very few builders are using it with the graziano. I have heard of problems finding gears a couple of times. Allan uses it in his GT-R. Reach out to him.

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
That begs a question. I did have an experienced shop change out the drop gear. So when shifting back to first, what role does the drop gear play if any, when shifting?

Where might the issue be, syncros, drop gear, or else where?

I agree with Ken - likely the shifter.
Drop gear has no impact on what you’re describing; nor would synchros - if the fluid were the issue you’d have problems with shifting into other gears.

Spoke to Allan today....what a wealth of info. Did not know this but apparently there are two generations of the first non-CNC'd shifters. The first generation, which I apparently have, the length of one of the internal shifter rods is a tad too long, making the throw from 1st to 3rd very, very short (I often find 3rd searching for 1st). Gen 2 took some that out so the distance from 1st to 3rd is a bit larger. Allan suggested I experiment with a 1st gear shift gate, which will prevent/minimize moving too far left making the shift feel like a jam...….. I think a small gate will aid a lot (someone did this already I believe). I will work on the idea and report back with results. He is lending a hand on the rods so I can make a modification.

Ken

I recall seeing this, but your right...very wide. Since I already have the gentleman seats and console in, real-estate is a premium. The new SLC shifter may be the final shifter solution, but trying Allan’s two ideas are pennies on the dollar right now. The boss “highly recommends” I try these first......off to the drawing board.

Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Dan - I probably have the newer gen shifter, it’s been sitting on my shelf collecting dust. You’re welcome to have it for the price of shipping if you want to give it a shot. Let me know if you need any dimensions.

Back