Gt 40 steering wheel badge

You could use one of these to make the badge. :)
https://www.carcookiecutters.com/products/ford-gt40-vintage-lemans-cookie-cutter-set
ford-gt40-cookie-cutter-set_1024x1024@2x.png
Heck yes!

I would like to clairify some information, everything on the last picture I posted and to anyone whom received a copy of the "3.0" .step/.stl file I sent them is 100% from the drawings in the GT uncovered book. All the way to the letters, those were even taken as a picture, imported onto the sketch and lines copied exactly. Front radius is completely smooth, (not flat, a smooth radius crosssection that goes in all directions) no lettering or embossed areas protuding. The back side I also radiused exacas the front giving it a thickness of 0.19 inches. The depth of the debossed lettering and half moon areas are half of the total thickness. The debossed depth is not shown in the drawings, there is a blurred out area that indicates that it was purposely removed.

So I will not have back and forth emails about the purity of the 3D drawing. I should have kept it to myslelf if people were only going to complain that they do not agree with the dimensions. Everything used to make the correct looking emblem has been posed from the actual plans to offering up a free 3D printable file.

I know the first one I posted was very wrong, but I was also relearning Fusion.

If you have issues with my drawing, please use the same things, I posted to make one for yourself.

I will still send the file out to all those who ask for it, I just not entertain anymore back and forth emails about how someone disagrees with how to interpret dimensions.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
With the FAV drawing of the badge, we worked with a qualified tool maker to create an injection mold to produce this part. The mold is $7000 plus, (and a very good price for a mold of this type) the piece cost of the parts for the first 500 are less than $3.00. Add the vacuum metalizing, red and blue colors, etc. So, $8500 plus for 500 pieces. Honestly, how many will we sell? If EVERY GT40 replica/continuation/tribute buys one at $200.00 I will die with a beyond lifetime supply of these parts. That is why this doesn't happen.

With the FAV drawing of the badge, we worked with a qualified tool maker to create an injection mold to produce this part. The mold is $7000 plus, (and a very good price for a mold of this type) the piece cost of the parts for the first 500 are less than $3.00. Add the vacuum metalizing, red and blue colors, etc. So, $8500 plus for 500 pieces. Honestly, how many will we sell? If EVERY GT40 replica/continuation/tribute buys one at $200.00 I will die with a beyond lifetime supply of these parts. That is why this doesn't happen.
Exactly why I made the joke about pulling money for the molds. The cost over volume is not sufficient to produce anything but singles, the cheap way. 3d prints lol.

Thank you Douglas , it is hard to get any information regarding original cars so anything is greatly appreciated.
I had purchased the GT40 Uncovered book last October. One week later the website said they were no longer available. Oddly I got #28 of 365. I will gladly help anyone with any information the book provides. Which honestly is not very much. There is an over abundance of engine specific dimensions, but I really don not see anyone casting cylinder heads, when ya know 289 and 427 parts extremely available.

Attachments

• 17113260333807615476947447915352.jpg
    17113260333807615476947447915352.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 43
Douglas - your part looks darn good to me. Question, could the STEP file be used to have someone machine this part from thin aluminum? I am thinking about that, polishing the "chrome" parts, and painting the remainder. Could someone with a standard CNC do this using your file? thanks very much.

Douglas - your part looks darn good to me. Question, could the STEP file be used to have someone machine this part from thin aluminum? I am thinking about that, polishing the "chrome" parts, and painting the remainder. Could someone with a standard CNC do this using your file? thanks very much.
The first one yes, the second one no, the second one requires it to be transparent for painting kn the back side

Paul T.

Supporter
Douglas, looks great. Is this something you would be willing to print to sell for those of us without a printer or the ability to print.
Thanks, Paul.

Douglas, looks great. Is this something you would be willing to print to sell for those of us without a printer or the ability to print.
Thanks, Paul.
I myself also do not have a 3d printer. I used an online service. Was about $36 with shipping. I have a friend that has one but he hasn't had the free time to get to it for me. I will check again what website i used.

Paul, I forgot to mention in my last post, like I have stated before, I will gladly give anyone who asks the files for the emblem, that way you can have it made at your leisure and the way you choose through a vendor or a friend. I know I probably could make a few bucks on it, but I would rather help out the community on the one item everyone seems to want the most. Also this way I do not have to deal with any persons that might not like any specific quality issues or legality issues had someone taken offense to making and selling an item.

The resin print looks good. Maybe with some fine adjustments to the model and printer settings it will turn out good enough straight out of the printer?
The cost of making these in a resin printer is quite low, as confirmed by the price you paid to the online service.

Douglas looks great. Surprised the one I printed had a little sharper detail but yours doesn't have any layer lines. If you'll email me your address I'll see if I can light a big enough fire under my son to print one for both of us. Might have to buy an 8k resin printer for myself. Great work thanks again.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
The "all black" alloy centers are used on MK II/MK IV cars. And yes, it is strange that two vendors who advertise parts don't respond to inquiries or even orders. I am always concerned when it is hard to do business BEFORE you spend the money. It usually doesn't get better after.
Perhaps the 'luxury' of gearhead related exercises is occasionally eclipsed by situations that really matter, eh ?
As to your assertion that ' it doesn't usually get better', is your statement coloured by the history of vendors taking money and either failing to deliver or holding on to goods once paid. I take no money until goods are within 48 hours of shipping.
Now there is something to ponder.

Markus

Supporter
If anyone is interested in the Pepsi badge, I got some spare for offer. Listed in garage sale as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3033.jpeg
    IMG_3033.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3034.jpeg
    IMG_3034.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 39

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Our new range of original size Aluminium wheel bosses and ceramic Pepsi badges, as posted about on page one of this thread, will be available in the next few weeks.
We are also producing a ceramic badge to suit our earlier boss which is slightly larger than the original for those who wish to replace the original badge
We will also have original replica steering wheels available in slotted and non slotted styles to suit in 13", 14" and 15" diameters.
Pricing will be the best available.
Thanks
Andy

Back