Gt 40 steering wheel badge

Rob Klein

Supporter
I am looking for a gt 40 steering wheel badge. I have the bezel just need the badge ( along with everyone else lol ). I realize it’s a long shot but willing to pay a premium for something nice, authentic, or close to it.

Thank you.

Rob Klein

Attachments

• 28D2CF65-073B-4F35-89F4-F3121CB2D216.png
    28D2CF65-073B-4F35-89F4-F3121CB2D216.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 125
I am having a friend 3d print one for me and I plan on tool casting it for making forged carbon or fiberglass version.

If that works out well, hell I'll just send them to people, just recoup of shipping.

Those that have original looking ones seem to be hording them and not willing to sell.

Keep searching,it’s worth finding the perfect badge ,make sure you are happy with the colour as there seems to be some variants

Attachments

• 8f31ec82-79fb-4c18-adda-6c4c86e87743.jpeg
    8f31ec82-79fb-4c18-adda-6c4c86e87743.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 88

Rob Klein

Supporter
I am looking for a gt 40 steering wheel badge. I have the bezel just need the badge ( along with everyone else lol ). I realize it’s a long shot but willing to pay a premium for something nice, authentic, or close to it.

Thank you.

Rob Klein
Nice reproduction I would pay $250
Original $500 +/- depending on condition
Full original steering wheel and badge $3k

No not. Vanished mine came from the states and still available ,the steering wheel was home made by myself to an original drawing kind of ,then hand stitched by a very talented local trimmer who used to make the wheels for TVR back in the day

regards mark

I have ben lookin and trying also for some time with no luck. Gold Parts never has replied. Not sure the trick to get folks to take money....seems like it shouldn't be that hard. There are tons of all black, off looking, different color ones, but one like the proper one seem elusive.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I have ben lookin and trying also for some time with no luck. Gold Parts never has replied. Not sure the trick to get folks to take money....seems like it shouldn't be that hard. There are tons of all black, off looking, different color ones, but one like the proper one seem elusive.
The "all black" alloy centers are used on MK II/MK IV cars. And yes, it is strange that two vendors who advertise parts don't respond to inquiries or even orders. I am always concerned when it is hard to do business BEFORE you spend the money. It usually doesn't get better after.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
The "all black" alloy centers are used on MK II/MK IV cars. And yes, it is strange that two vendors who advertise parts don't respond to inquiries or even orders. I am always concerned when it is hard to do business BEFORE you spend the money. It usually doesn't get better after.
Its mostly impossible to get any parts thats up to quality spec. I’ve given up on sourcing parts for mono and replica, and stick with doing as much as possible myself. I only have a very few vendors it trust in this game of GT40 potluck. I’ve been bitten too many times with buying parts thats only good as a doorstopper or in the scrap partsbin.

For the emblem, take drawings to a retired sign / emblem maker. Few on ebay offering engineering services and bespoke jobs.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
We are currently in the process of manufacturing enameled emblems, correct bosses and steering wheels at the moment

Thanks

Andy

Anyone have a good method to produce these bits?
I can draw it and have tooling made (can have them cnc machined at work) but honestly dont know how to make them.

I am recently retired from the luxury leather good industry but I am still consultant for several companies in Europe.
My formal company was working for Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Chanel... and was making most of the metallic accessories that you may found on luxury bags, pens, jewellry....
I never had a badge in hand to inspect it, but from the photos I saw, the process to produce the badge should be similar to the one use to produce belt buckles or other decorative plate that you may found on luxury leather bags.
1709108009251.png

1709108071018.png

1709108152687.png

1709108272913.png

The technic is simple but require a little bit of skill. First you have to stamp or cnc machine the part in metal, brass plus plating is possible but the simpliest is SST. You have to create the borders of the shapes to color by making some "pockets" in the metal with a depth of at least 0.3mm or 0.015 inch.
Then those recesses are bead blasted to facilitate the adhesion. To color them, you use liquid lacquer like epoxy or acrylic that you apply to fill the recess with a seringe. Then the lacquer is cooked in an oven about 160°c for 30mn. I simplify for the explanation, but there is plenty of tricks to get a godd adhesion and avoid to have bubles inside.
Then there is two cases :
- you just leave the part as is and it is finished, you may add a light polishing for brightness, in this case the laquer will appear with a concave meniscus
1709108911653.png

- or you grind the metal and the laquer in the same time and polish the part to put everything on the same level. At the end, the laquer will appear like the photo of the Hermes buckles. If brass is use as the base material the plating needs to be done after ther laquer and grinding process.

The is an expensive technology because everything is manually done, but in France or Italy several companies (small and big) may handle it, even from scratch if a drawing may be supplied for creating the metallic base.

Back