GT-Forte GTs40 build

I've done most of my panel work cutting using a jigsaw fitted with a 20T/inch blade, which is fast and doesn't annoy the nieghbours too much. Depending on the garde of alloy you're cutting you made need to use WD40 to stop the blade clogging

Regards
Andy

Neighbours I'm not so worried about as much as waking my 16mo son!

My regular garage time is from 10pm until 2am (sometimes 3 if I get carried away! :)) so I don't want to make too much noise, drilling is fine as is the lathe but the air stuff is out. Not sure about the jigsaw, don't think the jigsaw itself is too bad but there might be a substantial amount of 'noise' from the sheet. I'll have to have a go and see.

I think the angle grinder would be far too loud for that time (it might just be mine but my ears are ringing after just a few minutes use without earplugs). I could however use slitting disks in the lathe which isn't that loud and on the smaller stuff use the cross-slide to get some very very neat cuts.

Certainly what I can do is prep lots of cuts and do the lot in one session during the w/e then tidy them up and fit later.

Hi David,

The slitting discs, and a few other bits went of to you today First Class Post...they should be with you tomorrow

Maybe you should buy your son and your neighbours some god quality Ear Defenders......

Thanks a lot. :)

That's a lot of ear defenders to buy! I think I'll just settle for batching all the noisy stuff up, restricting it to a few times a week and setting up the lathe as a very expensive table saw. ;)

I agree with Mick earlier in the post
Invest in a good cordless angle grinder that can take a 1mm disk and also can take a grinding style disk.
My tools are Dewalts and without it I would be useless. There are always bits that you wont cut with a guillotine and the 1mm disk will do it.
Straight edge such as ally flat plate about 1.5 " wide is what I use. How Mick does it is how I do it.
Can post you pictures of the disk / tools if required.

I also have a air nibbler but it's a bit wild and not such good lines.

A big thanks to mick for the cutting discs etc.

How do you use an edge to get a straight line with an angle grinder. Can't see how with mine with out adapting it or running the blade along the edge.

Did the second panel last night.
2011-08-21%25252023.38.05.jpg

Tragically used my 'noisy' time at the weekend drilling holes in the walls to move the sockets around in the garage (moving my lathe to fit the GT40 in meant the only sockets were behind it) so did this one by hand again.

Haven't made my mind up how I'll finish the sills/interior, if I'll leave them/it bare or carpet them/it. I'm swinging towards carpet, or at least some kind of covering.

I have an idea that might work quite nicely with the sills to carpet it but then have bolt on strips in the same style as the original sill pressings (in the same way people have for the 'bare' sills) and the inspection cover (for the fuel senders) over the carpet. Although given that it has to be sealed the inspection cover may have to sit in a cut-out.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi David.

GL with the build, I noticed you want to go blue, heres an idea of a really cool looking blue. Not sure whos car it is, but that blue looks really good. Just a thought for you :)

Take care

Attachments

• 0703kc_06_z+1965_ford_gt40_replica+.jpg
    0703kc_06_z+1965_ford_gt40_replica+.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 954
  • 0703kc_01_z+1965_ford_gt40_replica+.jpg
    0703kc_01_z+1965_ford_gt40_replica+.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 978
Nice colour, that's something along the lines of what I was thinking although I'm not a big fan of the chin, so I think just a straight stripe. Maybe the side stripes but plenty of time to consider those.

Welcome to the GT40 world, David and good luck for your build; a long route , but so many satisfactions...

I notice that the body you have is probably the same I got from GTStuning 12 months ago , for my build (A Riviera scratchbuilt, in the forum) .

No problem for me so far on the body; but due to the very long ....scratchbuilt route, I am only starting the panels fitting after a first dummy set up in order to finalize the chassis size....

I will be happy to exchange any comments/advices if you want ...

rené

Hi David,
You can get a really good straight edge with an angle grinder and a 1mm slitting disc.
The straight edge needs to be about 5 mm thick. On a flat workbench you clamp the straight edge over the ally sheet. Lay the grinder disc on the straight edge and wearing googles cut along the line.
I will take some pictures of this as soon as I can. Take your time and practice on a piece of scrap.

Dont carpet it !

René

I saw your build thread and your positive words was one of the things that convinced me I wasn't making a huge mistake to go for the GTS Tuning/GT Forte kit.

I was originally considering a scratch build but the more I looked at it the more I figured that buying the chassis and body work would save me *years* of effort, then GT Forte were offering an introductory deal on their kit that fell at the right time.

Keith,
I'd say I'm 80:20 carpeting it to don't. Still haven't made my mind up.

Last edited:
I use a piece of 5mm thick x say 40mm wide ally flat plate, suprisingly it doesn't wear that much as the disc runs along the edge.
you get a really nice edge finished of with a flat file to take the small sharp bits.
The 1mm disc will slice your finger,so gloves essential.

Similarly, I have an old jigsaw that I have put some felt pad on the bottom, so it runs freely. Clamp a spirit level to the ally and then just let it run down.

Just another thought.

Personally I'll be carpetting, as I'm not as neat/skilled as Keith

My second sill panel turned out rather better than the first. I think I'll use the first as an experiment to see how pressing ribs into it works out and cut a fresh one. Its just going to annoy me otherwise and no way I could not carpet it with that panel staring at me all the time.

Drew out a load of panels to cut last night, looking to get some noisy time later in the week to cut them.

Also going to need a panel bender sooner rather than later, I see another trip to Machine Mart coming on! :)

David, the ones they do are a little too small, unless you get their 1m one, IMO

Have a look on good old eBay for some 750mm ones or cheap 1m ones.

Also, though I never personally got one (but would like to) have a look for a 3 in 1 machine (example: multi_former)... also recommend a smallish lathe. I wouldn't be without one now, oh and a compressor with an air-rivet gun

I was thinking that its only really a couple of panels need long folds in them I could get away with the 24in one (eg Clarke CMF24 Sheet Metal Folder 24 Inch - Machine Mart ) and get someone to do the longer ones. I've not really got the spare room for a large folder, although of course I could always use it and sell it afterwards. Although I note that you can get a 760mm bench mounted one on ebay for the same money (eg item 260801186199)

Is a 24inch one going to be too limiting still?

I already have the compressor and an air riveter to go with it is on the cards (although maybe after next payday, I've spent rather a lot this month!). Don't fancy doing more than a couple of rivets by hand even with the 'lazy' riveters.

I already have a reasonable sized lathe (9" swing, 24" between centres)

Harrison L5 lathe by fastdruid, on Flickr

Would love a milling machine too but don't know where I'd fit it.

Last edited:
Hi David,

Your second panell looks a lot better than the first...

I have a Edwards 4ft treadle guiloteene, and a Edwards 3ft Box and Pan Folder. You are welcome to come and use them. Im about 2 hours drive from you. If you hade all your patterns done, it may be worth your while to come and cut, and bend them in one go. Maybe someone who lives closer to you, will make you the same offer ......

Let me know if your intrested as im ordering some alloy sheet this week, and I can get some for you at the same time.....

Mick

Back