GT40 45th reunion at Road America

Chuck

Supporter
Wondering through the paddock, came upon an original Mark IV. It was racing. Now as best I recall only twelve were built, and this one, J-1, was the first built. Then we came upon a booth displaying a Mark IV under construction. Seems that Kar Kraft has been bought out and the new owner is building another 8 or so continuation Mark IV's. And it looked exactly like the original - honeycomb construction and all. Amazing.

Probably the most original GT's we will ever see in one place ever again, or at least until the 50th anniversary . . .

Attachments

• MarkIVA.JPG
    MarkIVA.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 351
  • MarkIVB.JPG
    MarkIVB.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 312
  • MarkIVC.JPG
    MarkIVC.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 391
Just got back from RA, it was a great event with a lot of good people to meet including many on the forum. I took way too many pictures, some are decent, some are bad, but all were fun to take.

For those interested, please see attached link.

Road America Historic Races 2009 - Windows Live

I uploaded medium sizes but if anyone wants the high res pics just PM me.

Thanks

Last edited:

Chuck

Supporter
Seeing a group of original GTs racing around the track was a sight not 'oft seen.

The Saturday crowds were large, many wondering amoung the GT replicas with lots of questions and comments.

The Concourse event was a good time. The GTs were lined up along the lake front brick sidewalk. Nice arrangement. And Ray Maserang got an nice well deserved award for his Gulf GT.

Attachments

• HighViewA.JPG
    HighViewA.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_5484.JPG
    IMG_5484.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 338
  • GT40ConcourseA.JPG
    GT40ConcourseA.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 338
  • GT40ConcourseC.JPG
    GT40ConcourseC.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 345
So far so good. The group 5 qualifying race was fun. Lots of lolas and GT40s.I get to start the feature race from 3rd position. I have met very few of you but this is a big place and that's just the way it goes. I blew the clutch on my GT spyder in practice Thursday and could not find a replacement so I am glad I brought the Lola. I hope you guys are having a lot of fun and you are adding a lot to the event. Aso I would like to say thanks to George Bruggenthies of Road America for making you such a nice part of the event. I mean, was that track session great or what ?! How about Road America? Pretty cool place !

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Just got back from RA, it was a great event with a lot of good people to meet including many on the forum. I took way too many pictures, some are decent, some are bad, but all were fun to take.

For those interested, please see attached link.

Road America Historic Races 2009 - Windows Live

I uploaded medium sizes but if anyone wants the high res pics just PM me.

Thanks
Thanks great shots! Here are a couple good pictures also
first is Kirby, Darly and Mike, the second is Daryl and myself. (Jack)
I also have some good in car video of our Group 11 practice on the tract, if I could only figure out how to download. Great sound effects.

Attachments

• mike, daryl, kirby.jpg
    mike, daryl, kirby.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 342
  • jack, daryl.jpg
    jack, daryl.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 305
I just got home and man what an event. The number of cars was just great. The racing events were wonderful and so were the people there. I got to talk to Lee Holman and David Hobbs. There aren't too many places where you can do that. Just wonderful! Thank you once again for the name tags!!

Ron McCall

Supporter
Pantera, are you staying at Victorian Village, there is a white MKI just 100 steps away from where i am staying. It has Maryland plates, wondering if it is you. See you guys at the track tomorrow!

Actually that car belongs to a good friend of mine named John Schriver.My wife and I stayed across the street at Seibken's . What an event!!!!

I don't quite know how to explain this, but I'll try without trying to sound boastful or arrogant. It just happened, that's all, and I'll try to explain it that way.

I struck up a conversation with George Stauffer at Road America this past week. I told him I had a signed lithograph of his P1046 hanging over my desk signed by Mr. Shelby, Chris Amon and the artist. (It was purchased at auction a number of years ago for a charity event. Not by me.) I said I get to look at that car every workday, I live with it every day, and it's a lot different seeing it in person.

I spoke with George several times over the weekend and helped move the car around by pushing and pulling. He also spent time explaining how it was that he took possession of the car. It's quite an interesting story in itself.

On Thursday he had offered me a short ride which by my own missed guided circumstances I missed out on. He saw me later and said he had looked for me to give me a ride but I had left already. I was screaming at myself from the inside to say the least.

Saturday, I happened to wonder into the historic pavilion where all the great cars were on display. George was standing next to his P1046 in his race suit on and holding his helmet. He walked over to me and said he couldn't leave because the track official weren't there to clear out the crowds. I said I could help take care it for him. He said he was just going to get in and start it up, people will move then. I went looking for the track workers who finally arrived and opened up the barriers in front of the car. I was standing there with my backpack on with Bill Musarra. I walked over to George and asked if I could ride out to the Start/Finish line with him. He said "Sure get in". I almost fell down, I couldn't believe what I had heard. I walked back to Bill and said "Can you hold my backpack?" Bill said "Sure.", but I'm not even certain Bill new why. I climbed into one of the "Holy Grails" if not the "Holy Grail" of GT40s. The goose bumps were stacked three deep on my arms, then four deep when George fire up the 427 sitting just south of my right elbow. He slipped it into gear, revved the engine and let out the clutch. All I remember of the pavilion was flashes from cameras going off and people moving aside as we rolled down the walkway.

I set my own camera on the dash to record the event and then realized it was in photo mode after I took a good picture of the backside of the windshield wiper from the inside of the car. What a "fruit cake" I am! I switched the camera over to video mode and held it on the dash. Then sat back just to take it all in.

Well, we got out in the paddock and immediately got stuck in paddock gridlock. I am thinking this is "bad", then "no, good, a longer ride for me to take it all in, YES!". There were people waiving, taking pictures, George is revving the engine, a golf cart was in front with kids on the back waiving. George smiled and waived. I waived out of delight of just being there. I am taking every second of it in! Once we got off the main drag of the paddock George picked it up. The paddock tents and people rolled by more quickly. We reached the entrance to the track and wheeled right. He punched the gas to let it out a little and covered the open space in a flash. We were directed to the end of the cars on the left line by the track official. George said shook his head "no" and pointed to the right lane which was empty. The starter worker caught on, then directed us right. Finally we wheeled it into the first starting position of the starting line, the line for the original 40s.

Everything seemed to be in slow motion as I was absorbing the feel, the smell, the gauges, the spectators, George talking to me, the mild roaring sound from the back seat.

I thanked George for his kindness, and tried to climb out but the door was stuck and wouldn't open (Damn!). George said "I guess you will have to stay" (joking?), I said "That would be fine with me". He said something like without a helmet or a suit this might not be a good idea. I finally popped the door open (Damn, no, double damn!)

I climbed out and slowly walked behind the fence with the rest of the paying public. I still had goosebumps on both arms. My body felt disconnected from my brain, I was literally numb.

Laying in bed Saturday night, I couldn't sleep! I realized at that moment, though I have an RCR 40 under build, friends and acquaintances with RCR 40s, Superformance 40s and even an original GT40, I had never driven or even had a ride in a GT40. I am telling it for the first time on the forum. My first ride in a GT40 was in P1046. I have been to the mountain top, where else is there to go, I might as well sell my car. It won't be the same!

It's Monday now and I still get goosebumps and an ear to ear grin every time I thing about it! I am pinching myself frequently, and my face hurts from this stupid, village idiot grin! :grinf:

George Stauffer, if you ever happen to read this, all I can say is "Thank You" many times over.

Ps. I accidentally erased the video, all I am left with is abstract art of the windshield wiper and part of the dash, a hint of the number 2 on the front and legs of spectators. See for yourself, if you were there, you will know...
this is real. If someone got some pictures from the outside while I was in it can you send them to me?

Attachments

• GT40 P1046.jpg
    GT40 P1046.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 389
I don't know Howard. Your picture looks like the line at Disney for Batman: The Ride.

Just Kidding!!

What a great story. You'll remember that for the rest of your life...

550spydr,

I am kicking myself!!!

It kind of does look like the Disney line for Batman, or any other line for that matter! :blank::blank::blank:

:laugh:

I too had a great time!!

Would like to personally thank Dennis Olthoff and Rick Muck for the use of their racing gear. Without it, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of joining group 11.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I too had a great time!!

Would like to personally thank Dennis Olthoff and Rick Muck for the use of their racing gear. Without it, I wouldn't have had the pleasure of joining group 11.

NO problem, glad to help. John fails to mention that Dennis Olthoff lent him BOB OLTHOFF's driving suit! John got to lap RA in a GT40, at speed in a historic Nomex!

A FANTASTIC time, met several members, talked to a lot of people who looked at the SPF GTs we had, and generally just had a blast!

In a week or so my knee will shake off the miles of walking required to get anywhere at RA (the free shuttle carts ALWAYS came by just AFTER I walked up the hill.) Could not believe the size of the paddocks, it seems just when you thought you were at the end, ANOTHER paddock filled with cars appeared! And he BEST racetrack food I have ever had!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
And I am remiss in not thanking John for his help at RA and Carlisle providing his car for our display. He manufactures a very nice system for mounting an alternator and AC compessor on a GT of most any brand, well worth a look. Contact him for info.

What a terrific week of activities. Thanks to everyone who helped me out, including Roush, Dennis Olthoff, and St. Charles Motorsports for their help with the car, Mike Trusty for offering his spare helmet, and Dennis Olthoff for lending one of his DAD'S RACE SUITS!! After we got home my neighbor stopped by for dinner and asked what it was like to drive the car really fast on the track with the original race cars and I explained it this way:
"Imagine you are an amateur musician in a garage band. You play a passable guitar, but you know a couple Rolling Stones songs pretty well. Then one day you are given a chance to get on stage at a Stones concert and play those two songs with Mick and company. And suddenly there you are. You know that your amp is likely turned wayyyy down, and nobody in the audience knows or cares who you are, but for that moment you are THERE. You are part of a special show and it's a priceless experience."

The Road America GT40 reunion was a great event. It was good to meet Chris Melia, Nigel Hulme, John Wisher and Martin Gough and visit with them. This is the first time AM GT 40/1 has been in the public eye for 40 years. I only have it in rolling chassis form. AMR 1 still stirred a lot of interest because people could see the suspension and other items normally hidden by the body pannels. There were 17 original 1960s GT40s, a Holman MK II and a couple of cars built mostly from original parts. Ford had a very impressive display with new Ford GT cars stacked in front of the large tent which housed several of the original Ford GT40s. I did get in a few laps driving 1051. Chris MacAllister really has 1051 set up very well for racing. I am still working on getting some pictures posted here. If anyone noticed the event dash plaque, it is AM GT 40/1 at the 1966 Sebring race.

Attachments

• IMGA0733.JPG
    IMGA0733.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 285
  • IMGA0723.JPG
    IMGA0723.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMGA0728.JPG
    IMGA0728.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 327
  • IMGA0738.JPG
    IMGA0738.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 323
  • IMGA0750.JPG
    IMGA0750.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Daryl, I couldn't agree more!! Well said.

Rick, Yep Daryl and I both had historic Nomex courtesy Dennis Olthoff. I was very greatful and honored. You are more thank welcome for the help and thank you for hauling the display out there for me.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Some pictures of the SPFer's at RA.

Attachments

• P7190009.JPG
    P7190009.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 297
  • P7190010.JPG
    P7190010.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 289
  • P7190005.JPG
    P7190005.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 303
  • P7190006.JPG
    P7190006.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 315
  • P7190004.JPG
    P7190004.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 302
a few more....

Attachments

• DSC01020.jpg
    DSC01020.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC01029.jpg
    DSC01029.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC01035.jpg
    DSC01035.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 259

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
What a terrific week of activities. Thanks to everyone who helped me out, including Roush, Dennis Olthoff, and St. Charles Motorsports for their help with the car, Mike Trusty for offering his spare helmet, and Dennis Olthoff for lending one of his DAD'S RACE SUITS!! After we got home my neighbor stopped by for dinner and asked what it was like to drive the car really fast on the track with the original race cars and I explained it this way:
"Imagine you are an amateur musician in a garage band. You play a passable guitar, but you know a couple Rolling Stones songs pretty well. Then one day you are given a chance to get on stage at a Stones concert and play those two songs with Mick and company. And suddenly there you are. You know that your amp is likely turned wayyyy down, and nobody in the audience knows or cares who you are, but for that moment you are THERE. You are part of a special show and it's a priceless experience."

Perfect description! I agree 100%.

Back