GT40 45th reunion at Road America

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I got all excited when I saw the Group 11 'race' scheduled.

Do I have race experience? No.
Lots and lots of track time with my Pantera at track events. I used to run in the 'red group'. I have no track time yet with the GT40. Unfortunately... long story.

I'd be up for some 'spirited' laps with the other guys. I would really look forward to some laps on the track besides the lunch time touring. i.e., I'd expect to be able to push the car a little.

Oh, and I don't have a race license either.

FWIW,
Kirby

This is the current schedule but it will probably change a bit here and there.

\ http://roadamerica.com/userfiles/file/KIC Schedule 09 updated 7-10-09(1).pdf

The group 11 thing is the current gray area. Which cars in group 11 either do not have a race licensed driver or are not prepared to racing specs. Several of the forum members are in group 11 for parade laps but of course a race is a different matter. Also, are there going to be cars attending that would like to race and have not yet entered.
Group 11 may be parade laps but the speed of the pace car has yet to be determined.
The big race is the group 5 race pitting many Lola T70s against a fair amount of GT40s.
There really are not enough raceworthy original GT40s or GT40s with raceworthy drivers or owners willing to risk their cars to have an "All GT40 race" . This was a shock to the event management. MK IV J6 (Jim) recognized a long time ago that few originals would be racing in the future (now). How many of you guys have track experience ? How fast do you want to do the parade laps ?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Like Kirby I have lots of track time, Pocono's, Homestead, Moroso, many times but no racing license. Never had the talent to go that far. It has always been event participation (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Italian cars in general). I don't have the nerve or skills to ride the edge, I work on my own stuff so beating it to death is not my bag. I do like the idea of spirited driving up to a max speed (150-160 MPH max?) and gentlemen driving, flashing lights, then a turn signal to pass for the slower drivers. I would guess everyone would have to have helmet, gloves, nomex, boots fire system so on. But if they do not then we will have to agree on a slower speed? I will bring all my gear, I think Kirby and Mike are bringing theirs. I have seen some parade laps that are more than spirited and pretty aggressive. Laguna Seca

Johan,
I was able to do 3.00 min. lap times at Road America 2 years ago on street tires. That was rather spririted driving to me with lap speed average of about 72 mph. I think we could all scare ourselves a little running 3.15 to 3.20 lap times being along side each other. I would be thrilled to be able to do a lap or two like that. Bringing my gear just in case it happens.Im also just a novice.No competition license.

Steve Salasek

This is the current schedule but it will probably change a bit here and there.

\ http://roadamerica.com/userfiles/file/KIC Schedule 09 updated 7-10-09(1).pdf

The group 11 thing is the current gray area. Which cars in group 11 either do not have a race licensed driver or are not prepared to racing specs. Several of the forum members are in group 11 for parade laps but of course a race is a different matter. Also, are there going to be cars attending that would like to race and have not yet entered.
Group 11 may be parade laps but the speed of the pace car has yet to be determined.
The big race is the group 5 race pitting many Lola T70s against a fair amount of GT40s.
There really are not enough raceworthy original GT40s or GT40s with raceworthy drivers or owners willing to risk their cars to have an "All GT40 race" . This was a shock to the event management. MK IV J6 (Jim) recognized a long time ago that few originals would be racing in the future (now). How many of you guys have track experience ? How fast do you want to do the parade laps ?

I have a national competition license and have been racing my 2 litre SRF sports racer at Road America since 2003. It's my favorite track, and I have to say that those of you who have never been there are in for a treat. Ripping through the forest toward turn five or Canada Corner you will feel just like Jacky Ickx at Spa. For years I've been wishing I could drive RA with the benefit of a few more horsepower. Last fall I took my SPF MKI to Road America and I got my wish....big time. I can tell you that running the GT40 on that track is very electrifying. On Avon tires my car was beautifully balanced, turned in great, and was everything I'd hoped for. It just wanted to go faster and faster, and so did I. (In my little sports racer I'm used to finding the limit by exceeding it just a wee bit.) It was when I was booking toward the Kink at a most unhealthy rate of speed that I remembered I was in a car with vulnerable fuel tanks, no fuel bladders, no inversion valves on the fuel system, no fire system....you get the picture. At Road America there are several places where small mistakes can get you off in the grass, where you will skate along at undiminished velocity until you hit a concrete wall. (As you track out at The Kink you'll notice the nasty black scars on the wall.) Even at relatively slow speed that's a very bad thing. Our little 2 litre SRF's turn laps in the 2:41 area, so you can imagine what the GT40 is capable of with only 750 pounds more weight and nearly five times the horsepower. I'm sure George and his people are thinking of Group 11 as a kind of "GT40 only" touring session. That will give the spectators a sense of what a group of these noisy old racers looked and sounded like, and give us a chance to zip about without having to poke along behind the folks in their "grocery getters". But really, I don't think we should let ourselves think of this as any kind of speed or competition event. With some clear ground rules we can still have a blast. (Perhaps I should say YOU will have a blast, as my car is still not back on the road, and it looks like I may miss out on the event)

Hi, just back to a previous point, I notice that the event schedule and the pdf's still list only the Mustang parade lap. I understood from Susan at RA that there would be a "tour of the circuit" which was different from paying for a "touring at lunch" lap. I also was told that the breakfast with the celebs would be on Sunday morning, EARLY (like 7am), but this is not on any schedule at present. Any news or should we just wait and see what happens?
Second point, I do not fit in my car with a helmet, so any "lap" of any sort would have to be at "roadspeed", but you know, if we're involved in that for the spectators, honestly, the cars look magnificent at parking-lot speeds, so really, are we that concerned if the speed is limited? Just asking.
I'm over 50 but this is the most excited I've been about a motor event in a long time.
Simon
CAV-GTD Hybrid
CANADA
icon6.gif

Good thoughts all of you and it seems like you are all getting the picture pretty clearly.
Road America and SVRA are not going to do or allow anything that is "unsafe" as far as a track event is concerned. That said, track events are not really that safe to start with.
The idea is to see what can be done safely and then pick a scenario that accomodates the most people. Perhaps that is only parade laps but from those that have responded a DE type session seems to fly. There are more than 1 group 11 sessions.
Simon you are entered in Group 11 so look for group 11 on the schedule. As far as the 7am breakfast the "celebs" are hung over like the rest of the racers and spectators and might be asleep in your motel room. You might get to know them better than you wanted to. The KIC is that kind of a weekend. Just like the old days.
A meeting is planned for Wednesday to discuss the options and I ask these driving ability questions in order to provide input to SVRA.
A "DE" type session is what I am talking about. A solo group. It would just be a bit faster than touring. You could drive it the same speed as touring and go at your own pace. Sort of start from the rear. Don't overdo it by any means. Believe me when I tell you that it is way more embarrassing to go too fast than to go too slow. If in doubt go slower.
I have heard from the Cobra guys and they are looking froward to cooking an informal breakfast Saturday morning inside turn 5.
I am making a special cooler mounted on a dolly that I can tow around. You are welcome to put stuff in it or take stuff out of it but if you put stuff in it I can not be held responsible for its safety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron McCall

Supporter
So.. What's the final word?? Is there anything going on Wednesday?
My wife and I will be there tomorrow mid-day.
Where and when is everyone going to meet?

Pantera, are you staying at Victorian Village, there is a white MKI just 100 steps away from where i am staying. It has Maryland plates, wondering if it is you. See you guys at the track tomorrow!

Chuck

Supporter
Here is a little tease.

Picture of #2 driven by Bruce McLaren that won Lemans in 1966. Probably the closest we will ever get to one of the most famous GT40's ever. Took lots of close up pics, but don't want to bore anyone with the details.

After this pic was taken a couple of SPF copies were rolled up on either side. That was a once in life time marketing shot for SPF!

After sunset they drove #2 back up the hill to put it back in the Ford GT40 display tent. Watching a half dozen men pushing on the fiberglass like it was a used Pinto to get it back in its display location was a bit disconcerting - would never do that to ours.

The Ford GT display won't be open until tomorrow, but we could see perhaps ten or so original GTs, including Ken Miles #1, the second car to cross the finish line at Lemans in 1966, at least one Mark IV, a Mark III, and several others we will ID tomorrow. If anyone is interested we can take some more pictures.

SPF is very well represented with at least a dozen cars. We also saw one CAV and two RCRs.

The second pic is a Lola that was hanging out around the GT40 replicas.

Looking forward to a great Friday. The weather could not have been any better - low 80's, sunny, nice breeze

Attachments

• Lemans2GeneralView.JPG
    Lemans2GeneralView.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 389
  • LolaB.JPG
    LolaB.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 357
That is me in the T70 and that is me in the tie die t shirt. The name tags have worked great as far as finding people !

Even after a great effort by many people I will not be at the event. I will however hopefully have a running car by the end of the weekend and that will have to be enough. I hope everyone has a great time and take lost of pictures and video for the poor folk that couldn't make it. Have fun and please share the wealth.

This event so far is great. Thanks again for the name tags. The weather today was a bit upsetting, but hopefully tomorrow will be better. The Ford Display is one of a kind. Sorry for those who missed it. For those who are here, we should meet somewhere at a certain time and place tomorrow.....?...

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Some pics

Attachments

• RA2009_01.jpg
    RA2009_01.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 345
  • RA2009_02.jpg
    RA2009_02.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 291
  • RA2009_05.jpg
    RA2009_05.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 330
  • RA2009_06.jpg
    RA2009_06.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 331
  • RA2009_07.jpg
    RA2009_07.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 306
  • RA2009_08.jpg
    RA2009_08.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 284
  • RA2009_09.jpg
    RA2009_09.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 287
  • RA2009_03.jpg
    RA2009_03.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 342
  • RA2009_04.jpg
    RA2009_04.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 322
  • RA2009_10.jpg
    RA2009_10.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 296
  • RA2009_11.jpg
    RA2009_11.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 284
  • RA2009_12.jpg
    RA2009_12.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 300
  • RA2009_13.jpg
    RA2009_13.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 279
  • RA2009_14.jpg
    RA2009_14.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 325

Chuck

Supporter
Here are some pics for Dean . . . .

Attachments

• 1083B.JPG
    1083B.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 348
  • 1083A.JPG
    1083A.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 1083D.JPG
    1083D.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 1083E.JPG
    1083E.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 318

Chuck

Supporter
The Ford GT40 display was amazing. The largest collection of original GT 40s I have ever seen.

Counted two DRB, two CAV, two RCR and a host of SPF. Perhaps twenty or more gathered around the SPF display at most any time.

Attachments

• FordDisplayA.JPG
    FordDisplayA.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 284
  • FordDisplayB.JPG
    FordDisplayB.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_5458.JPG
    IMG_5458.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_5459.JPG
    IMG_5459.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 334

Chuck

Supporter
The weather put a damper on the activities and the Concourse was a near wash out. Seeing the priceless cars getting an unexpected wash, many with open cockpits, dampened the spirits. We are hoping for better weather on Saturday, when the replica GT's will be traveling to the Sports Car Concourse.

Here is another original GT that was racing.

Attachments

• IMG_5418.JPG
    IMG_5418.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_5417.JPG
    IMG_5417.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Back