GT40 Australia Chassis #64

Re: Chassis #64 due in July

Yeah I'm waiting for the final word before welding as we are having issues
on class and whether it's a 2B or 2A. PR has submitted the paper work to get the car on the Marque 2B list. We also may have to put a false wall
in the rear to cover main hoop.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Dave, I believe that the "false wall" has been done before - PR will know the details.

Its looking good !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

:D Got my clearence back from Peter Lawernce (CAMS Technical Manager) regarding ROPS, Sent same pics as in my build thread. So will weld cage in on the weekend, Car will be log booked as 2A and clasified as Sports Car Open. Which means no false walls behind bar as the GT40's roof is not supported bewteen front windscreen and rear glass.

:pepper: :pepper: :pepper:

Hi Dave

It has been a while since yo uposted any updated for your car. OBviously it was registered etc in record time but I was hoping to see some pictures of it with a bit of paint on. How is it going.

Cheers

Jack

Hey Jack
I've been busy trying to get Julians car ready for rego which hopefully should be in a month or so. I've also been busy restoring a Formula Junior
chassis for another friend which has to be ready for the F1 round next year as a support/guest appearance. My wife is due to have our second child in September.

I've fitted and welded the Rollbar into my car, I'm also gathering all the parts to fabricate a suitable exhaust system. I've got most of the bends, Edlebrock collectors and just need to source some noisey mufflers. Then fire up the TIG and spend a month welding them up at snails pace.
Will take some pics soon.:)

My goodness Dave, you are a car building machine. I look forward to the pictures. Hopefully before Sept. If you second child is anything like mine there goes your free time. Perhaps your wife is better trained than mine. Ha ha.

Cheers

Jack

Hey Guys
Just a few pics of exhaust system as it is progressing. Still need to tack a few spring clips to collectors and pipes and then some black HPC coating.
Hopefully the HPC stuff will work as advertised.

Attachments

• 000_1263.jpg
    000_1263.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,187
  • 000_1290.JPG
    000_1290.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,196
  • 000_1291.JPG
    000_1291.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,183
  • 000_1292.JPG
    000_1292.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,213
  • 000_1293.JPG
    000_1293.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,172

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Very nice work Dave.. :)

I like the design a lot - especially the routing of the cross-overs..

May I inquire as to why you chose divorced exhaust flanges over a single 4 hole flange?

Hey Randy
Congrats on your RCR purchase by the way, looking forward to reading the build thread.

I'm not sure what you mean in regards to the exhaust flanges but will assume you are talking about the flanges that bolt to the heads, they actually came as a one piece unit which I cut into 8 single flanges to aid removal and fitting of the cross over pipes. The flanges are very large as I have used 1 3/4 inch pipes.

Attachments

• 000_1271.jpg
    000_1271.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,148
  • 000_1251.JPG
    000_1251.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,119

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Dave - Looking forward to the build with great anticipation!

Your explanation on the head to header flanges makes perfect sense.. My only reason for asking is that I've had some bad experiences with divorced flanges in the past once they've gone through a few heat-cycles. Seems that the pipes get a lot of additional forces in them that want to twist and move the flanges from their intended locations. It's fine when everything is bolted up, but once removed and then subsequently re-installed, the blasted flanges are far from where they need to be to bolt up.. But thinking further - these headers had the primary tubes welded solidly to the collectors rather than slip-fit..

Keep up the fine job - you're inspiring many here!! :)

I just read through your thread, Dave. Very impressive! Congrats on rego and your 40 is looking good. Your current color choice is also what I am thinking about. That or dark blue with single gold stripe, moustache, and wheels.

Congrats on the second child, also. By my calculations and contrary to Pete's thinking you have had time for at least one other thing during your build!

Dave,

The rebuild is looking great so far.

Dont forget the guys in Kelmscott at Competition and Industrial Coatings can do the ceramic coating for you. Ie, there is no need to send the pipes over east to get it done.

Hi Dave

I just noticed that the photo on your avatat now shows a sweet looking red car with white stripes. Just checking your build thread I noticed NO PHOTOS. Hmmmm. Any chance of an update now that the pretty bits are really coming together!

Looking forwar dto seeing it with a splash of color.

Cheers

Jack

Hey Guys
It's great to see some interest in the car. Painting is almost finished.

Attachments

• 000_1363.JPG
    000_1363.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 932
  • 000_1355.JPG
    000_1355.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 957
  • 000_1348.JPG
    000_1348.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 944
Thanks for sharing Dave. Looking good. I look forward to a few more pictures with the rear clip when it is done. I am particularly interested in your car for a number of reasons, the most pressing is that there is not a whole lot of DRB's without the wide rear arches. There are a few such as Pete Delaney's but I would like to see a few more of them to get a feel for how they look in a variety of colors etc. Plus, i enjoy your energy of the build!!!

Regards

Jack

Hey Guys
A couple more pics of the car. Hoping to be driving again in a couple of weeks. Still got heaps of odd jobs to do so can't rest yet. Hope to get some shots in the sunlight soon.

Attachments

• 000_1380.JPG
    000_1380.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 846
  • 000_1381.JPG
    000_1381.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 835
  • 000_1378.JPG
    000_1378.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 847
Looks great Dave. Well done. When will you be out to play with the toy ??

Collie sprint is Nov 4th. May make a nice debut.......

Back