GT40 Australia Chassis #64

Re: Chassis #64 due in July

Hoping to finalise car this weekend for Registration next weekend.

Looking awesome, Dave.

Does this mean you're not coming up to Barbagallo to watch the V8s?

Mind you, if I was so close to finishing my car I wouldn't go either!

All the best with the rego the following weekend too. I'll be very keen to hear how you go with it.

unfortunately I will have to spend the weekend in Albany driving my GT40
around on a permit sorting little Gremlins before I head to the pits:rolleyes: .

Work has been mad lately consuming my valuable GT40 build time and flying to Melbourne for half day meetings doesn't help either:mad: . Although
drinking beer on work is allways a good reason to go to these things.

Hopefully the Pits will go well and I'll bring the car home and strip it back down again for paint and real engine. Does a GT40 build ever end??

:pepper:

All good news Richard
Took the car to Perth on Monday, waited 5 hours in a queue for my inspection. Had my test and now I have a licensed GT40.:pepper: :pepper: .
The Inspectors at Welshpool are a great bunch of Guys under a lot pressure with huge waiting queues lasting all day. Will have to come up with a custom plate.

Now onto painting trimming and engine performance.

Attachments

• 000_1158_0001.JPG
    000_1158_0001.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 933
  • 000_1160.JPG
    000_1160.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 933

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations Dave!!!

Been meaning to ask you about your side mirrors - Where did you get them and do you like them and the position they're in for driving?

Thanks!

Hey Randy
The side mirrors are cheapies from my local parts store 'Super Cheap'.
The positioning for rearward vision is acceptable for this type of vehicle.
I have the standard width rear clip, I don't think you could use them with a Gulf rear clip. When it came to choosing mirrors I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I grabbed these ones. If you want a set I could send them to you, as I think they are only $60 AU a pair. :)

Chris Kouba

Supporter

Congrats again Dave! Perusing your thread, you took delivery 7/28 and you're sorted through rego and plated roughly 8 mo later. Impressive. Enjoy the ride!

Best,

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Dave, Thank you for your kind offer.. I'm far from the stage of needing them just yet and may well go with the wider hips yet. I'll search my local parts stores also but if I can't find something suitable - I may call on you! :)
I also like the fact that your 40 has dual wipers!

Hi Dave

Brilliant job. 8 months and registered. This is both a credit to your skill and effort and as you say, maybe also to DRB for ease of build. Congratulations. How many hours per week do you think you spent on it during that time?

Cheers

Jack

Thanks Guys
The car has consumed about 740 hours of my life or 23 hours avg a week.
I also almost cut one of my fingers completely off during this time aswell.
The forum has been a big help so thanks to all the Guys for chipping in with tips and time saving advice.

Congratulations Dave! look forward to seeing the new video so we can listen to the "post registration' exhaust note. Have you decided on a colour yet?

cheers

stuart

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

You Bewdy Dave, congratulations:bow: :chug: One of the fastest cold starts to rego I know of.
Now you had better pay some attention to Missus Dave.:pepper:

Have you decided on colour yet?

Congratulations Dave. 8 months. I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Well done.

Lance

Sensational work Dave! Looks like your engineer knew his stuff, too.

So, when are you ordering the Lola?

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Dave, congratulations !!

That moment when the rego nazis hand over a set of plates is just sublime !! When I got mine, I kissed them & held them over my head - all the other customers must have thought I was insane !!

8 months from go to whoa is just sensational, but now comes the hard bit - you have a choice of whether to take it for a drive, or pull it to bits ! Its taken me 2 years to not quite finish my car - too much temptation to drive it ! Still, those few last jobs should keep me occupied in retirement.

Well Done !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Congratulations Dave. 8 months. I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Well done.
Thanks Lance If I can help you out in anyway to get your car on the road let me know.

Sensational work Dave! Looks like your engineer knew his stuff, too
Richard the Engineer I used is not the cheapest by a long amount and charges per hour for house calls, but he is good. If you want I'll give you his details.

So, when are you ordering the Lola?
Hopefully someone might be interested in the GT40 once it's painted and finished. I'm keen for a T70, I never knew they existed till Ron Earp got one and I had already ordered my DRB. Will probably wait till Flatchat gets his on the track and see what his thoughts of how she handles. Anyone want a freshly finished DRB??

Have you decided on colour yet?
Looks like I'm going the bright red /2 wide white stripes and white sill stripes from Chris Martino with Gold centred wheels.

That moment when the rego nazis hand over a set of plates is just sublime !! When I got mine, I kissed them & held them over my head - all the other customers must have thought I was insan

Yeah I got my plates in my hand and got the hell out of there before anyone changed their mind. Funny story, as my car was one back in line from my inspection a fellow perssisted in checking my car over trying to find every thing wrong with the car he could. I didn't mind him looking at it but when he verbally starting bagging the car I knew I was in for some trouble. He continued with this while the inspector was looking at my car so I very nicely asked him to F-off.

I'm not sure why this random Bloke thought it was his job to check over my car but I suppose it takes all types to make the World turn.

The car has already been stripped down and I have few jobs to do like
fit Rollbar fit new exhaust and 8 stack injection. Then spray the car and
finish off interior trim then enjoy some driving.:)

Richard the Engineer I used is not the cheapest by a long amount and charges per hour for house calls, but he is good. If you want I'll give you his details.
I won't grab his detail just yet from you, but are you happy to ballpark his total bill from go to woah on the forum? It would be interesting to see how this compares with people's experiences in US and UK, and even other states in Australia.

Ballpark only would be fine, just to get an idea rather than getting a "my engineer is cheaper than your engineer" type of thing going, particularly on your personal build thread.

Please let me know when you take the GT40 out to Barbagallo - assuming you will. I'd love to watch (and hear) it going around.

After a few days break from the car, to much talk and not enough action.
I've started on the rollbar installation. I can hear you all saying why didn't you get that option from DRB, Well the answer is I can't bring myself to pay for something I am fully setup to do myself and have saved myself near on a grand aswell. Dummied up the bars and just need to weld in for final time. I was going to TIG the cage but have opted for the lazy way and will MIG it in after I get CAMS approval.

Oh, Richard my Engineering costs were approx $1000 or so after inspection which took a full day and a bit.

Attachments

• rollbar1.JPG
    rollbar1.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 640
  • rollbar2.JPG
    rollbar2.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 659
  • rollbar3.JPG
    rollbar3.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 668

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Great workmanship Dave, but I think it needs to be inside the cab(a PITA) for approval--best check with CAMS -- ROPS though.

Back