GT40 For Weekend Cruiser

How viable is the GT-40 as a weekend cruiser? It seems most builds are geared towards historical accuracy and/or track use. I have no desire to track a car or build a historically accurate one. I just love the look the GT40 and want a really awesome car for weekends, cruise ins etc. My main concern is how small the GT-40 seems to be. I have considered the Superlite GT-R heavily (even flew up to MI to tour the facility) due to how much bigger it is, but have several reasons I want to consider something else before making a decision, and wanted input from those that have a GT40 on it's viability to be built as a street machine. For a frame of reference I'm rather average sized (6'1", 175lbs) and my wife is very tiny.

Thanks

ALAN,

I USE MINE FOR WEEKEND OR ANYTIME I WANT TO GO FOR A DRIVE. VERY COMFORTABLE, A/C WORKS WELL (I LIVE IN FLORIDA) . THE FLOOR PAN IS LOWERED SO THERE IS PLENTY OF HEAD ROOM.. PEDALS ARE ADJUSTABLE AS WELL AS THE SEATS. IT IS AS RELIABLE AS A SMALL BLOCK FORD..

HOWEVER, SPEED BUMPS AND DIPS IN THE ROAD CAN BE A PROBLEM. THE DOORS DO NOT LOCK AND WINDOWS DO NOT OPEN. IF YOU HATE ATTENTION, THIS IS NOT THE CAR FOR YOU.

WALT

CAV GT40

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Current thought is a hidden hitch receiver that would take a cargo shelf. If I can’t work that into the frame then a removable roof rack.
AJ
You had me going there for a minute - it's almost January 1st and not April 1st.
Have a look at some cars and see if it fits you first.
Good luck with your choice.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Maybe you should also look at the RCR GT-R. Just a little bit bigger than a GT40 but also just a bit more suited as a driver and will fit two people a bit better due to its interior size being bigger as well.

Maybe you should also look at the RCR GT-R. Just a little bit bigger than a GT40 but also just a bit more suited as a driver and will fit two people a bit better due to its interior size being bigger as well.

As my first post stated, I have considered that heavily but there are a few things making me want to look at other options. High probability I will wind up there anyway, but trying to do my due diligence.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
How viable is the GT-40 as a weekend cruiser?...want a really awesome car for weekends, cruise ins etc. My main concern is how small the GT-40 seems to be...For a frame of reference I'm rather average sized (6'1", 175lbs) and my wife is very tiny.

Depending on what you mean by "weekend cruiser", you may find the GT40 is just too SMALL for that. 'No room for the LUGGAGE your Mrs. would likely need for a weekend trip...let alone your own. ;-)

Of course, depending on the logistics, there's always FedEx..................or a 'chase car'!

Hi Alan,
I’ve done European tours (LeMans & the Spa Classic) in mine with no real issues. I’ve a custom made 30Ltr luggage box under the rear clam and a soft bag fits under the front access panel. I also have adapted the attached, which looks really cool with a wicker hamper basket fitted
Regards
Andy
IMG_20160612_185540036_HDR.jpg

That’s pretty nifty with the suction cups. I was thinking about some felt covered rare earth magnets, but I need to do some shear testing with them.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Alan,
I’ve done European tours (LeMans & the Spa Classic) in mine with no real issues. I’ve a custom made 30Ltr luggage box under the rear clam and a soft bag fits under the front access panel. I also have adapted the attached, which looks really cool with a wicker hamper basket fitted
Regards
Andy
View attachment 96618

Was the rear clam 'reinforced' any to head off any stress problems that might occur, or wasn't that necessary?

Hi Larry,
No additional reinforcement was added, as any load is spread over a large area, but I did find micro fretting of the paint, fortunately these polished out OK. For later use I added some paint protection film under the suction cups.
Regards,
Andy

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Alan
I am 6’3” and around 300lbs
Wife5’5”

We did a 4 day weekend away to relatives 200 miles up country.

Sure we packed tight and light in poly zip bags with air squeezed out.and these then packed into the doors through door pockets. Wife also had a small hold-all under her knees

She borrowed a neck pillow travel thing and slept on the way Home!

I have also done Le Mans Classic from London area 3 times going solo, twice camping with all the camping kit and stuff required in the passenger seat area, the third time it was a suitcase to hotel accommodation. The round trip is about 1000 miles including the trips for dinner etc.

So yes the car can be used as a cruiser, but they are small, hot, hard work at slow speeds, but make you and numerous others smile and take photos each time you take it out.

Ian

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Larry,
No additional reinforcement was added, as any load is spread over a large area, but I did find micro fretting of the paint, fortunately these polished out OK. For later use I added some paint protection film under the suction cups.
Regards,
Andy

Roger that...

Compared to most other exotics....that tend to at least have some modest amount of storage space and creature comforts....the GT40 is not a good weekend cruiser. If by "weekend" you mean overnight, it pretty much bites. Doors don't lock, windows don't roll down, zero storage, very loud inside, mediocre A/C, limited headroom...all adds up to a not-so-comfortable ride.

That said, it's a fantastic car for an exotic supercar experience......the noise, the lack of creature comforts, great performance, etc.....all adds up to a phenomenal experience.

I drove my CAV across the California/Arizona desert one summer weekend.....and frankly, after 300 miles I wanted to put it on a flat bed and fly home. Sore back/rear, too loud, stuffy and hot, no clean clothes.....but I sure loved the car!

Last edited:
Back