GT40 leading again

Once again Sports car market magazine has been having its reader pole for the most collectible car. This has been a month long process of voting. After elimination of an incredible list of automobiles they're down to the final two. Its the 60s all over again. Ford vs Ferrari. Guess who's leading for the most collectible automobile. Take a look or vote:

Sports Car Market's 2012 Collector Car March Madness!

Last edited:
I questioned that myself. Same with the cobra. Can't be because of the engine. If that were the case we'd call Jensen interceptor , Morgan+8, Mangusta, Pantera, Iso Grifo, Facel Vega, Monteverde, Bizzarini etc American. I assume it's because it was Ford/USA lemans effort.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ah..............yes, as much as we love it, the engine is the only American item. Ought to have been a British car. Full disclosure: I have heeded Mayor Richard Daley's advice on this one: vote early, vote often. In favor of the GT40, I have voted early and often.

GT40s are expensive. Vintage Ferraris are out around Pluto somewhere, only the truly filthy rich can afford them.

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
I think we're going to find that the chart is based on where the company HQ is, Ford (GT 40) being Detroit and Shelby American (CSX Cobra) Los Angeles. The MKI is a direct descendent from the highly modified prototype, and the 427 prototype was entirely designed and built by Shelby American.

With both cars originating in the UK, the argument can be made they are British. If not British/US partnerships.

Keith

the 427 prototype was entirely designed and built by Shelby American.

With both cars originating in the UK, the argument can be made they are British. If not British/US partnerships.

So the MKII chassis was not Abbey Panels? What about the Lucas smoke?

There was still a lot of FAV Slough on the MKII and the steering wheel waas still on the wrong side.. :)

There is no doubt MKIV is American. That's why it only ran once... :laugh:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,

In 1967 the MKIV Won both Sebring and Le Mans, 1+1= 2

So the US verion won 100% of the races entered.

Keith, what % of the races entered were won by the British built ones?

You Brits may want to work on your build quality:)

Last edited:
Vinny,
It won't even be close if its down to a vintage ferrari that most don't recognize or the gt40!! ;o)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Jim, you might want to look at the race record of 1075, which is in John Allen's book and others. The Mark IV was only campaigned for one season and only in a few races. I think it did win everything it was entered in- they were very reliable and fast cars that ran like trains. And by that time all the teams had their acts down pat and there weren't a lot of errors. The Mark IIs were still Abbey chassis modified for the big engine drivetrain. They also won a lot of races and all the development work on the engine and transaxle benefited the Mark IV, which uses the same power unit.

Even the Mark IVs had RHD cockpits, so the position of the steering wheel doesn't mean much here. IMHO, the facts state that the Mark I-II cars are at least British-American design/builds, if not chiefly British (my feeling is that they are really British cars) The Mark IV, OTOH, is an American car, designed and built here, and driven mostly by American drivers, for what that's worth. The real shame about the Mark IV is that its racing career was so short. I believe it had a lot of victories left in it when the type was retired from competition.

Keith

Engine Reg change Jimbo? The P cars had to be 3 litre and the MKIV was far too heavy for that which is why 1075 and others entered Group IV and kept winning?

I think anyway...

Shame though, the MKIV was a top effort, especially the honeycomb chassis.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jimbo,

I'm fully aware of 1075 and all the others, a very impressive record. My comment was aimed a Keiths little shot at the good old USA!

There is no doubt MKIV is American. That's why it only ran once... :laugh:<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
My comment was aimed a Keiths little shot at the good old USA!

I don't know why we're discussing this (again). We're all basically English anyway. I just wish "the natives" could get over that little row back in the 1700's. We won fair and square. But now we're friends, right? :laugh:

Keith

I don't know why we're discussing this (again). We're all basically English anyway. I just wish "the natives" could get over that little row back in the 1700's. We won fair and square. But now we're friends, right? :laugh:

Of course....:evil:

Back