GT40 MkIV continuation (J-16) at RM Auctions Scottsdale 2015

FYI ~ J-16, one of the 1967 Ford GT40 Mk IV continuation cars by Kar Kraft LLC, is set to cross the auction block at RM Auctions Scottsdale on Jan 15 (Thu), 2015.

The pre-auction estimate is $500,000-700,000 USD.

See online catalogue entry here: 1967 Ford GT40 Mk IV Continuation by Kar Kraft | Arizona 2015 | RM AUCTIONS

AZ15_r203_025.jpg

AZ15_r203_002.jpg

AZ15_r203_024.jpg

AZ15_r203_012.jpg

AZ15_r203_003.jpg

Fantastic car. So, in the opinion of the panel, is J16 an original or a replica?

Hi Keith, Seasons Greetings,

Neither !

It isn't an original, & I don't believe that this Kar Kraft company is the same one as the original Ford Motor Company subsidiary.

Replica would seem a bit of an insult when many 'look a like cars' with various engines & different types of chassis construction use that particular term.

Surely the correct term is the one in the description 'continuation' , or possibly 'tool room copy' which seems to be in popular use lately.

Regards Steve

Keith

Tool room copy? I kind of like that and I'll say this: At least they have put the steering wheel on the authentic side. :poke:

It's a simply fantastic vehicle which I would love to own, but.....

Tell you what, if I win the lottery tonight, I'm going to buy it and send it to Jac for Christmas so he can nick the gearbox out of it... :thumbsup:

Tool room copy? I kind of like that and I'll say this: At least they have put the steering wheel on the authentic side. :poke:

It's a simply fantastic vehicle which I would love to own, but.....

Tell you what, if I win the lottery tonight, I'm going to buy it and send it to Jac for Christmas so he can nick the gearbox out of it... :thumbsup:

No need for that Keith, I am quite happy with the ones I have, besides after all the work you do on the forum keeping all the paddock riff-raff under control you deserve a chance to collect some demerit points in something good.... hope you had a not too merry xmas and behave yourself on new years eve! good luck with the lottery...:)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think it's a tool room copy, whatever that is.

My understanding of this is that they made these cars as exact copies as they were able to of the original 1966-67 cars. I think, though, that the technology for making the aluminum monocoque is a bit different from what Brunswick used to make the originals, which were assembled with a heat-setting resin and baked in big ovens. I don't think Mike Teske and Co had those available. But all the other bits are as exact as possible.

Who we ought to ask is Mark IV J6; Jim G- he's got a real one and he's probably seen the copies. He would know if anyone would.

the continuation cars chassis were done by Kenny Thompson. KarKraft closed their business several years ago (they sold Ford parts and Engines). Teske registered the kar-kraft name for the continuation cars. Kenny did built an oven to bake the chassis if my memory does not fails me when we visit his shop a couple of years ago when he did some work on ours J10.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
the continuation cars chassis were done by Kenny Thompson. KarKraft closed their business several years ago (they sold Ford parts and Engines). Teske registered the kar-kraft name for the continuation cars. Kenny did built an oven to bake the chassis if my memory does not fails me when we visit his shop a couple of years ago when he did some work on ours J10.

The last version of "Kar Kraft" Mr. Velez refers to was Scott Minsch's company that also had nothing to do with the 60's Ford skunkworks named Kar Kraft. The new Kenny Thompson/Mike Teske "Kar Kraft" shares a name and nothing more.

The new build MK IVs are as close as possible to the Brunswick built tubs although they differ greatly in the engine area (aluminum FE blocks) so some vintage sanctioning bodies will not accept them and I don't know about FIA Technical Passport status.

Back