GT40 replica overproduction??

Did anyone see the Sir John Harvey Jones 90’s TV series (Trouble Shooter - UK origin) on The Morgan Car Company? – I am not sure whether this stimulating programme made it overseas. At the time I believe Morgan were producing about 12 cars per week with a waiting list of several YEARS. Peter Morgan had an ambition to make 13 a week and Jones was somewhat astounded by apparent lack of ambition, encouraging him to make major changes AND increase prices to cut their waiting list down. Well, Morgan ignored the advice and is still in business today, even competing at Le Mans last year with their ugly 'crossed-eyed' model. The point, I think, is that Morgan knew his market. Their cars had to be affordable and not too easily obtained or the exclusivity and demand would fall.

Do GT40 manufacturers also need to take care not to flood the market and destroy it?
Will this be happening to the 40 in a few years? Once the Ford GT is out and CAV, et al, are shelling out 40s like TVRs will we all still want one?

Dave,
I reckon the answer to your question is "yes, we will all still want one." I'm building mine because I love the car,history etc. Plus you also have the fact Porsche drivers stop and stare and you KNOW you have paid considerably less.

Anyway at the end of the day most of the blokes I see driving TVRs need the boot to put their hairdryers in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brett

PS want a hand or anything this weekend as discussed? I'm going over to my Dad's in Harpenden on Saturday night and free during the day.

I'm sure anything can be over produced, but take a look at the for Cobra - here in the US there is one production version (Factory Five Cobras) that has produced and affordable Cobra and has sold > 4000 units to date. Add this to the other vendors and you might reach 7000 - 10000 maybe? But then you look at the size of the auto population and even these numbers make it a rairity to see one driving. Also, the price of the Cobra kit ($~12,000 to $15,000 base kit - US dollars) + donnor and a completed price for a "normal" version around $25,000 to $30,000 makes it much more affordable for the average person. The cost of the GT-40 will always limit the growth of the population. Of course, here in the US, we don't have the numbers running yet that you do in the UK alone!

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Dave,

I think the question of overproduction is right up there with "do you ever get tired of looking at Marilyn Monroe?" You can't pass judgement on a legend.

The GT40 is an all time classic, a legendary automobile that like all great designs is just perfect. Tamper with the proportions of the GT40, the P-51 Mustang, the Ferrari 330P4, the Cobra, Mona Lisa etc. and you loose the whole effect. Even Ford figured that out, the early clay models of the 2004 Ford GT were plain nasty.

Anything you can fall in love with at one glance will always be desirable.

What separates the GT40 from earlier classics like the Auburn Boatail Speedster and all those fabulous cars from the thirties, is that an entire new generation is discovering the GT40. Check out the string about "how young were you when..." I was astounded how many thirty somethings and younger have a GT40!

It's also apparent to anyone thats been around the replicar industry for a dozen years or more that lots of people THINK they can manufacture GT40 in kit or turn key and make a succesfull business of it. The fact is the '40 is a ton more complicated to prototype and tool up for. It can't be done on the cheap (even if you knock off someone elses car). There will be some false starts by small companies, however anyone who invests heavily enough to build quality and volume like CAV will find a market.

I would be worried about "cheap" cars, not because I sell expensive ones but I know what it takes to do it right. My hat is off to those who've built a fast, reliable, authentic looking and well sorted out cars from a kit. Just another reason why the GT40 Forum is an invaluable tool.

It's a labour of love and thats why it won't go away:)

As long as there are people who understand just how magic these cars are there will always be a market for them. One morning I was blasting up the highway into the sunrise in my MK-IV. The dew began condensing on the body work and the water began flowing back along the curves of the body and refracting rainbow colors off of the paint. I roared through pockets of mist. As the sun rose higher the moisture dried and the mist lifted. When you go for a ride in yours you'll realize why you spent so long wanting one.
Whether Kar Kraft built it or you did, it's very special...

Brian Magee

Supporter
Jim

For an old fart, you certainly have a way with words.That just gave me a tingle up my spine!

Brian

Editor, Fortyfication

Determining market desirability of an emotionally charged product like the GT40 is a bit of a black art. Even Ford got it totally wrong when they tried to convert the track success of the original GT40 into road success. They totally misunderstood the market for this car.

One thing that you can say with certainty about the desirability of an emotionally led product though, is that its value can NOT be calculated on a simple inverse relationship to the number of cars on the road. Numbers create awareness. Awareness creates further interest and further interest draws in new markets. (Note the comment about the under 30’s interest) Ultimately, the value of the car will have more to do with the GT40’s long-term place in the auto culture rather than the numbers of GT40’s on the road – and who has a crystal ball to be able to determine that???

Fair go. Iv'e been known to have the groceries on board.Any excuse to get out in mine is always taken. Regards

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
If you look at Ron's poll results it shows 68 cars owned or under construction by members of this forum, which I reckon
would encompass the bulk of cars out there world wide.
Not exactly a flood yet.
And I agree with Chris, it is all an emotional experience.

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
But if you follow this link (from another thread) Kit Car Round Up it suggests that over 500 GTD kits have been supplied over the years!

Maybe many of them were never completed?
Also, even in these days, not everybody has easy access to the internet, some that do (& have 40s) may not know of the forum, some people may not have voted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ooh, that includes me -D'oh, but when I first read that poll I didn't have one. I shall find that poll and vote straight away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Max

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Trust me to me voter 69!

Also, just by looking in signatures and profiles of people who post in the forum you can see there must be a lot more than that.

You claim DRB Chassis 48, which would indicate at least that number from just one manufacturer (and some have been producing a lot longer).

Cheers,

Max

My recent trip to Road America proved to me at least, that EVERYONE loves these cars! Anytime I stopped moving or parked, a swarm of onlookers and picture takers were all over the car. Even with all the heavy iron around, they flocked to the Gulf colored CAV with webers. Endless compliments and conversation from ALL ages. My guess, no time soon will there be too many of these classics on the road.

[ QUOTE ]
My guess, no time soon will there be too many of these classics on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

FFR has shipped thousands of Cobra replicas, and many more have been shipped by ERA, Superperformance, Lone Star, and others. Nonetheless, a Cobra is still a rare sight (unless you're at a Shelby convention). I don't think we have anything to worry about with our GT40s.

Back